Announcement

Collapse

Amphitheater Guidelines

In the Amphitheater we sit back and share a good song, offer a movie review, discuss sports, or anything in entertainment and family enjoyment.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: here
Steam Group: here

Thanks!
See more
See less

Rewatching Star Wars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chrawnus View Post
    Midichlorians? Isn't that what you put in swimming pools to kill the bacteria?

No, they don't even do that....
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
      I actually like Jar-jar. He is a skinny Curly. The problem is that neither Qui Gon nor Obi Wan are Larry or Moe. Jar-jar is fun but he is out of his natural element. Give him a ladder, a bucket and a beat cop foil and everyone will be rolling in the aisles.
      Um... no.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
        Since the new Star Wars is coming out this Christmas, and since my wife had never actually seen the movies, we decided to just work through all six of them. We watched the original trilogy first, so tonight (episode 3) is the last one. I haven't seen these in years, and had forgotten a lot about them. I'll split up my observations by the separate trilogies.

Original trilogy:

I grew up with these movies, but hadn't actually seen any of them in about a decade. So I wasn't actually sure whether or not I really cared anymore. But...huh. These are legitimately still good movies. They have good comedy, good drama, good action. Darth Vader and the emperor have an impressive sense of menace about them. Really great stuff.

Prequel trilogy:

Oh my gosh, Jar-Jar is annoying. I feel like they tried to create another Chewbacca, or something, but they failed. Miserably. Older Anakin is also annoying. The only redeeming parts about the whole love story in episode 2 are the early scenes where Padme lays the smackdown on him. (e.g., "You'll always be that little boy on Tatooine." ) Other than those lines, the dialogue is atrocious. Young Obi-Wan is alright, but...meh. Overall they're just kinda dumb fun.

Anyway, after we finished the original trilogy, I showed my wife the trailer for the new one, again. She'd seen it before, but not with the experience of the original movies behind her. After it was over, she admitted that she was actually kind of excited to see it. Couldn't be bothered before seeing the originals.

Edit: And of course Christopher Lee. He was good.
        Funny you should mention this. I have a friend who has never seen Star Wars before. So I made a point of getting him to watch all 3 films. The prequels are next on the list but will have to wait until this weekend.
        “I didn’t go to religion to make me happy. I always knew a bottle of Port would do that. If you want a religion to make you feel really comfortable, I certainly don’t recommend Christianity.” - C.S. Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
          There's a really great, and very thorough, teardown of the Prequels by a team called Red Letter Media that Roger Ebert supposedly really liked, but it's hard to recommend them because they're extremely vulgar.

At any rate, they offer a slew of terrific points. Right off the bat, Jar Jar is the most obvious offence, so isn't really the most interesting thing to critique so they pretty much skip him. Instead they're interested in story structure, editing, character type and development, the script and the like. One of the first points they make is about how memorable the original characters were. If you were to describe the characters from the original series without saying what they look like you could say that Han Solo, for example, is dashing, arrogant, charming, roguish, smarmy, cocksure, a scoundrel, pig-headed, a sexy bad boy, a guy with a dark streak, but deep down a thief with a hard of gold. What can we say about Qui Gon Jinn on the other hand? He's...stoic. I guess. Stern? There's just not a whole lot of character there. Or how bout 3CPO? Bumbling side-kick, scaredy cat, anal retentive, prissy, used as comic relief, high strung, effeminate. How about Queen Amidala? She's...normal? monotone? I mean...there's really nothing there.

Anyways, yeah, I'm looking forward to the new episodes, and I'm hoping to forget all about the prequels.
          I like to offer Confused Matthew's review on Youtube as well, although he does use vulgar language so I'm not linking to it.

The greatest point he makes is that once they get Anakin they just leave his mother there in slavery. They don't even go back afterwards to buy her freedom or anything. It's just a "well, we got what we wanted, see you later". Not exactly the type of thing that guardians of truth and justice should be doing.
          Last edited by Darth Ovious; 08-06-2015, 06:14 AM.
          “I didn’t go to religion to make me happy. I always knew a bottle of Port would do that. If you want a religion to make you feel really comfortable, I certainly don’t recommend Christianity.” - C.S. Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by Chrawnus View Post
            I'm not going to get my hopes up that the new Star Wars movies are actually going to be any good.
            I originally was worried in the same manner but apparently they going back to creating models a lot more and using less CGI. The trailer already shows the massive difference it makes when you see the Star Destroyer crash landed in the desert. That looks awesome.

Comment

Am I wrong for hoping that the new movies will include the extermination of the entire Gundam race?

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                Am I wrong for hoping that the new movies will include the extermination of the entire Gundam race?
                Do you mean Gungan? I'll be perfectly happy if they just pretend they don't exist.
                I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Ovious View Post
                  I originally was worried in the same manner but apparently they going back to creating models a lot more and using less CGI. The trailer already shows the massive difference it makes when you see the Star Destroyer crash landed in the desert. That looks awesome.
                  That's good news. CGI Yoda was awful.
                  Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                  sigpic
                  I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                    That's good news. CGI Yoda was awful.
                    But those lightsaber fights, man.
                    I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

Do you mean Gungan? I'll be perfectly happy if they just pretend they don't exist.
                      Yeah. Them too.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                        Yeah. Them too.
                        But they eat Ewoks! Which, if you ask me, would be the most redeeming feature they could have...
                        "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

He's been up late watching anime again...

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

But those lightsaber fights, man.

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post

Midichlorians are the dumbest idea in sci-fi.

...Whaddaya mean, not "MIDI clarinet?"
                              ~ Russell ("MelMak")

"[Sing] and [make] melody in your heart to the Lord." -- Ephesians 5:19b

Fight spam!

Comment

Originally posted by The Melody Maker View Post

...Whaddaya mean, not "MIDI clarinet?"
                                Almost as bad, actually....

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment