Announcement

Collapse

Eschatology 201 Guidelines

This area of the forum is primarily for Christian theists to discuss orthodox views of Eschatology. Other theist participation is welcome within that framework, but only within orthodoxy. Posts from nontheists that do not promote atheism or seek to undermine the faith of others will be permitted at the Moderator's discretion - such posters should contact the area moderators before posting.

Without turning this forum into a 'hill of foreskins' (Joshua 5:3), I believe we can still have fun with this 'sensitive' topic.

However, don't be misled, dispensationalism has only partly to do with circumcision issues. So, let's not forget about Innocence, Conscience, Promises, Kingdoms and so on.

End time -isms within orthodox Christianity also discussed here. Clearly unorthodox doctrines, such as those advocating "pantelism/full preterism/Neo-Hymenaeanism" or the denial of any essential of the historic Christian faith are not permitted in this section but can be discussed in Comparative Religions 101 without restriction. Any such threads, as well as any that within the moderator's discretions fall outside mainstream evangelical belief, will be moved to the appropriate area.

Millennialism- post-, pre- a-

Futurism, Historicism, Idealism, and Preterism, or just your garden variety Zionism.

From the tribulation to the anichrist. Whether your tastes run from Gary DeMar to Tim LaHaye or anywhere in between, your input is welcome here.

OK folks, let's roll!

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Awkward questions, especially for preterists

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Awkward questions, especially for preterists

I am a firm believer in the Socratic method of asking awkward questions to one's opponent until they are forced to admit to the contradictions and/or inaccuracies in their position. And because I want to be able to pose these questions in no particular order, I will simply pose them as I think of them in this thread.

First question: Is Isaiah 14 eschatological? If so, was it fulfilled in the past or will it be fulfilled in the future? Who is the King of Babylon/Assyria? What does God mean when He says this man will "be destroyed on the mountains of Israel?"

Originally posted by Darfius View Post
    First question: Is Isaiah 14 eschatological? If so, was it fulfilled in the past or will it be fulfilled in the future?
    That prophecy was fulfilled long before Christ.
    Who is the King of Babylon/Assyria?
    Attributed as Nebuchadnezzar, which doesn't seem unlikely.
    What does God mean when He says this man will "be destroyed on the mountains of Israel?"
    defeated, crushed, (literally)trodden underfoot.
    1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
    ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
    Scripture before Tradition:
    but that won't prevent others from
    taking it upon themselves to deprive you
    of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Originally posted by tabibito View Post
      Attributed as Nebuchadnezzar, which doesn't seem unlikely.
      Israel was not freed from bondage in Babylon until after Nebuchadnezzar's grandson was defeated by Cyrus, long after Nebuchadnezzar was dead. Why take up a taunt against a figure long dead?

defeated, crushed, (literally)trodden underfoot.
      None of these things happened to Nebuchadnezzar on the mountains of Israel.

Comment

Awkward question #2: Who do preterists claim the False Prophet was? Clearly he had to be a literal man and cannot be "spiritualized" away, since specific acts are attributed to him as well as a "capture" and relegation to the lake of fire. Awkwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrddddddddd.

Comment

Israel was not freed from bondage in Babylon until after Nebuchadnezzar's grandson was defeated by Cyrus, long after Nebuchadnezzar was dead.
          True - However, the king in question is not named. There is no reason to discount the dynastic aspect - Nebuchadnezzar was responsible for the exile, and it was his dynasty that was undone.
          Why take up a taunt against a figure long dead?
          Why take up a taunt against anyone dead?

None of these things happened to Nebuchadnezzar on the mountains of Israel.
          Nor was such a defeat necessary - Babylon's dominion over the mountains and lands of Israel was to be crushed.
          1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
          ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

True - However, the king in question is not named. There is no reason to discount the dynastic aspect - Nebuchadnezzar was responsible for the exile, and it was his dynasty that was undone.
            So your answer is that the king in question was Nebuchadnezzar but also not. Yep, you sound like a preterist.

Why take up a taunt against anyone dead?
            Because his oppression was so harsh and the suffering he caused so great, and the relief caused by his downfall so sweet that the urge to both glorify God and humble "the oppressor" (two sides to the same coin) will be too strong to resist. The Song of Moses, which the 144,000 will sing a new and improved version of, contains a portion rejoicing in the fall of God's enemies, too:

Scripture Verse: Deuteronomy 32:43

Rejoice, you nations, with his people,
            for he will avenge the blood of his servants;
            he will take vengeance on his enemies
            and make atonement for his land and people.

© Copyright Original Source

Nor was such a defeat necessary - Babylon's dominion over the mountains and lands of Israel was to be crushed.
            Nope. An individual's defeat is predicted, not an empire's:

Scripture Verse: Isaiah 14:24

The Lord Almighty has sworn,

“Surely, as I have planned, so it will be,
            and as I have purposed, so it will happen.
            25 I will crush the Assyrian in my land;
            on my mountains I will trample him down.
            His yoke will be taken from my people,
            and his burden removed from their shoulders.”

Comment

So your answer is that the king in question was Nebuchadnezzar but also not.
              The king of Babylon presided over the Babylonian exile - the identity of the office holder is not particularly relevant: your point?
              Yep, you sound like a preterist.
              Good, so far I am achieving success - I am mounting an argument in favour of a precept that I consider an affront.

There are solid arguments against preterism, this isn't one of them.

Because his oppression was so harsh and the suffering he caused so great, and the relief caused by his downfall so sweet that the urge to both glorify God and humble "the oppressor" (two sides to the same coin) will be too strong to resist. The Song of Moses, which the 144,000 will sing a new and improved version of, contains a portion rejoicing in the fall of God's enemies, too:

Scripture Verse: Deuteronomy 32:43

Rejoice, you nations, with his people,
              for he will avenge the blood of his servants;
              he will take vengeance on his enemies
              and make atonement for his land and people.

Nope. An individual's defeat is predicted, not an empire's:

Scripture Verse: Isaiah 14:24

The Lord Almighty has sworn,

“Surely, as I have planned, so it will be,
              and as I have purposed, so it will happen.
              25 I will crush the Assyrian in my land;
              on my mountains I will trample him down.
              His yoke will be taken from my people,
              and his burden removed from their shoulders.”

The defeat of a person's empire is a personal defeat, viscerally personal.
              ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

According to Victor L. Ludlow (Isaiah: Prophet, Seer and Poet; Salt Lake City: Deseret Book, 1982; 189):

It is difficult to determine whether Isaiah is prophesying about the destruction of Sennacherib's Assyrian army in 701 B.C. or the defeat of the army of the nations led by King Gog in the last days.... In both cases, the Lord's punishment is felt by the wicked nations of the earth.
                According to W. Cleon Skousen (Isaiah Speaks to Modern Times; Salt Lake City: Ensign Publishing Co., 1984; 204):

The Lord has not only determined to destroy Babylon in due time, but he has already programmed the means by which a more immediate threat to Israel will be eliminated. This was the Assyrian Empire, which preceded Babylon and was the terror of the world in Isaiah's day. In this verse the King James Version says the Lord will "break" the Assyrians, but in the brass plates it says the Lord will "BRING" the Assyrians into the promised land (2 Nephi 24:25). This makes the rest of the verse more sensible. For it says these Assyrians will pour into the mountains of Israel and tread them under foot (conquer them). It turned out that the Assyrians did not storm the mountains of Judah but only the mountains of Ephraim, where the Ten Tribes were located. These were trodden under foot from around 735 to 721 B.C., when the surviving remnants were carried off to Assyria. There they remained as virtual captives or hostages until Babylon came along in 605 B.C., and virtually annihilated the Assyrian people as a nation. This allowed the Ten Tribes to escape from their Assyrian captors and flee northward over the Caucasus Mountains, where they disappeared and became known as the lost tribes.
                Of course this is all Mormon nonsense.
                When I Survey....

Comment

Is Isaiah 14 eschatological?
                  No.
                  If so, was it fulfilled in the past or will it be fulfilled in the future?
                  Past.
                  Who is the King of Babylon/Assyria?
                  Tell me why it matters.
                  What does God mean when He says this man will "be destroyed on the mountains of Israel?"
                  That he would be destroyed? It's a song of taunt, it's hyperbole...
                  Awkward question #2: Who do preterists claim the False Prophet was? Clearly he had to be a literal man and cannot be "spiritualized" away, since specific acts are attributed to him as well as a "capture" and relegation to the lake of fire. Awkwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrddddddddd.
                  The Pagan Priesthood of Rome. Keeping alive emperor worship, and worship of the Roman Gods.
                  Last edited by Littlejoe; 08-07-2015, 10:33 PM.
                  "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

Originally posted by Faber View Post
                    According to Victor L. Ludlow (Isaiah: Prophet, Seer and Poet; Salt Lake City: Deseret Book, 1982; 189):

According to W. Cleon Skousen (Isaiah Speaks to Modern Times; Salt Lake City: Ensign Publishing Co., 1984; 204):

Of course this is all Mormon nonsense.
                    May I ask why you're choosing to utilize Mormon theologians without noting that they are Mormon, while you self identify as a Christian?
                    Does he who supplies the Spirit to you and works miracles among you do so by works of the law, or by hearing with faith? -Galatians 3:5

Comment

Originally posted by Pentecost View Post
                      May I ask why you're choosing to utilize Mormon theologians without noting that they are Mormon, while you self identify as a Christian?
                      He does have text in white that says "Of course this is all Mormon nonsense".

Comment

Good eyesight, Cerebrum.

I figured Darfius was not one to argue with Mormon theologians, since he loves to quote from them.

I figured there was enough in the context to make it obvious that they were Mormon.
                        Last edited by Faber; 08-08-2015, 09:01 AM.
                        When I Survey....

Comment

Originally posted by Faber View Post
                          Good eyesight, Cerebrum.

I figured Darfius was not one to argue with Mormon theologians, since he loves to quote from them.

I figured there was enough in the context to make it obvious that they were Mormon.
                          Well, my eyesight is only good when wearing glasses, and even then not as good as it used to be. I'm more surprised they didn't see it in the quote since that highlights it a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by Pentecost View Post
                            I must be dumb as all get out. Could have sworn that citing 2 Nephi would have been a dead give-away.
                            ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

I must be dumb as all get out. Could have sworn that citing 2 Nephi would have been a dead give-away.
                              Not to mention the brass plates and the ten lost tribes fleeing to beyond the Caucasus Mountains (where they would become Caucasians).
                              When I Survey....

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X