Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Why think God caused the universe to exist?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by seer View Post
    I'm not getting this, so our experience of individual moments is not an illusion? I'm confused.
    The existence of individual moments is not an illusion. The impression that these moments are in motion from one to the next is what is an illusion.

The static water is time.
    Water is not a dimension-- it is, in fact, three dimensional. So, in what way is the water supposed to be analogous to time?
    "[Mathematics] is the revealer of every genuine truth, for it knows every hidden secret, and bears the key to every subtlety of letters; whoever, then, has the effrontery to pursue physics while neglecting mathematics should know from the start he will never make his entry through the portals of wisdom."
    --Thomas Bradwardine, De Continuo (c. 1325)

Comment

• Originally posted by Boxing Pythagoras View Post
      The existence of individual moments is not an illusion. The impression that these moments are in motion from one to the next is what is an illusion.
      OK, so there is no actual motion with moments, so we are back to static time, filled with static moments.

Water is not a dimension-- it is, in fact, three dimensional. So, in what way is the water supposed to be analogous to time?
      No analogy is perfect that is why they are analogies. But both would be static. So in one of these static moments the fish is dead in another static moment the fish is alive. In the same fish bowl.
      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

OK, so there is no actual motion with moments, so we are back to static time, filled with static moments.
        I've been attempting to discuss that the entire time.

No analogy is perfect that is why they are analogies. But both would be static. So in one of these static moments the fish is dead in another static moment the fish is alive. In the same fish bowl.
        Well, this is the first time I've ever heard water described as "static," but if being static is the only thing your proposed fish-water has in common with Time, it makes for a very poor analogy. I agree that no analogy is perfect, but an analogy which has almost nothing in common with the concept you're attempting to depict is worse than no analogy at all.
        "[Mathematics] is the revealer of every genuine truth, for it knows every hidden secret, and bears the key to every subtlety of letters; whoever, then, has the effrontery to pursue physics while neglecting mathematics should know from the start he will never make his entry through the portals of wisdom."

Comment

I've been attempting to discuss that the entire time.

Well, this is the first time I've ever heard water described as "static," but if being static is the only thing your proposed fish-water has in common with Time, it makes for a very poor analogy. I agree that no analogy is perfect, but an analogy which has almost nothing in common with the concept you're attempting to depict is worse than no analogy at all.
          But you do agree that at one static moment of time I am dead, and at another static moment of time alive? In the same space -time.
          Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

Just as I said to Seer earlier in the thread, saying that the whole of space-time exists "now" is exactly akin to saying the whole of Earth exists "at the North Pole." At best, it's just sloppy language. At worst, it is blatantly false.
            No, it is akin to saying that the whole of the earth exists now, which it does. If the whole of spacetime exists in the same sense as the whole of the earth exist, then why can the latter but not the former be said to all exist "now."
            I highlighted the problematic portion. You're still under the impression that only one of your brain states is "real." You don't "experience one brain state over any other." You don't experience your brain states, at all. Your brain states are that which do the experiencing. There is no experiential "you" which is separate from those brain states.
            What is a brain state BP? I mean if the flow of time is an illusion, and motion through space is an illusion, then exactly what is a brain, and a brain state, each of which are frozen in time mind you, that is under this illusion?

Comment

But you do agree that at one static moment of time I am dead, and at another static moment of time alive? In the same space -time.
              Hmmm, you're Schroedingers cat. Accepting that Schoedingers cat is both dead and alive at the same moment in spacetime. Seriously though, I think this is the part that BP is glossing over. If the passage of time is an illusion, then time is static which means that in reality there really is no such thing as time. If time is static, then that would mean that all brain states are frozen in time as well, and I don't see how each incremental frozen brain state can be said to experience anything.

Comment

Yes, there are moments of time in which you are alive, and moments of time subsequent to your being alive-- which we colloquially refer to as "being dead." All of these moments are co-extant.

Originally posted by JimL View Post
                No, it is akin to saying that the whole of the earth exists now, which it does. If the whole of spacetime exists in the same sense as the whole of the earth exist, then why can the latter but not the former be said to all exist "now."
                Because "now" is an indicator of temporal position, in exactly the same way that "North Pole" is an indicator of spatial position. The whole of Earth exists even for someone who is only occupying the North Pole, but the whole of Earth is not compressed into the location of the North Pole. In exactly the same way, the whole of time exists even for someone occupying the temporal position labelled "now," but the whole of time is not compressed into that single moment.

What is a brain state BP? I mean if the flow of time is an illusion, and motion through space is an illusion, then exactly what is a brain, and a brain state, each of which are frozen in time mind you, that is under this illusion?
                "Brain" is referring explicitly to the organ which is responsible for neurology in the body. I am not a Mind-Body dualist, so I am referring precisely to that very physical bundle of electrochemical activity in our heads which is responsible for our actions. Similarly, "brain state" means exactly what the words "brain state" would imply. The physical state of a single brain at a given moment.

Originally posted by JimL View Post
                Hmmm, you're Schroedingers cat. Accepting that Schoedingers cat is both dead and alive at the same moment in spacetime.
                We are explicitly discussing different moments in space-time. Quantum Mechanics is not applicable, here.

Seriously though, I think this is the part that BP is glossing over. If the passage of time is an illusion, then time is static which means that in reality there really is no such thing as time.
                Time being static does not imply that Time is unreal, in the least. You are conflating the physical dimension of measure with the phenomenological experience. These are two wholly separate concepts.

Comment

Yes, there are moments of time in which you are alive, and moments of time subsequent to your being alive-- which we colloquially refer to as "being dead." All of these moments are co-extant.
                  So in the same universe I am both dead and alive, and you don't see that as a contradiction?

Time being static does not imply that Time is unreal, in the least. You are conflating the physical dimension of measure with the phenomenological experience. These are two wholly separate concepts.
                  But there is no actual flow of time so why would we experience something that doesn't really happen?
                  Last edited by seer; 08-29-2015, 05:16 AM.

Comment

In the same space-time ocean that you are trying to illustrate with the water in your fish bowl, but not at the same point in space-time geometry. Actually, seer, I would think you would like this B-theory of time. It seems like it is sort of like trying to adopt or at least appreciate God's eternal and timeless perspective on creation.
                    βλέπομεν γὰρ ἄρτι δι᾿ ἐσόπτρου ἐν αἰνίγματι, τότε δὲ πρόσωπον πρὸς πρόσωπον·
                    ἄρτι γινώσκω ἐκ μέρους, τότε δὲ ἐπιγνώσομαι καθὼς καὶ ἐπεγνώσθην.

אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

Comment

So in the same universe I am both dead and alive, and you don't see that as a contradiction?
                      No, because these seemingly contradictory states of your being occur at different points in the 4-dimensional space-time geometry. Does God 'experience' all of creation through your eyes only? Do you need to be alive for God to be 'aware' of the universe?

Originally posted by seer View Post
                      But there is no actual flow of time so why would we experience something that doesn't really happen?
                      Because we occupy a limited portion of the space-time geometry, and our experience of the space-time geometry is even more limited.

Comment

• Originally posted by robrecht View Post
                        No, because these seemingly contradictory states of your being occur at different points in the 4-dimensional space-time geometry. Does God 'experience' all of creation through your eyes only? Do you need to be alive for God to be 'aware' of the universe?
                        But that is one of the problems there really aren't different points of time since time is static. There could be different areas of space, but I still would be both dead and alive at the same time because time is static.

Because we occupy a limited portion of the space-time geometry, and our experience of the space-time geometry is even more limited.
                        But our experience of the flow of time is still false since there really is no flow of time. Saying that we only occupy a limited portion of space does not tell us why we experience something that isn't actually happening.

In the same space-time ocean that you are trying to illustrate with the water in your fish bowl, but not at the same point in space-time geometry. Actually, seer, I would think you would like this B-theory of time. It seems like it is sort of like trying to adopt or at least appreciate God's eternal and timeless perspective on creation.
                        Yes, I mentioned that earlier, that the B-Theory of time sounds like the mind of God.

Comment

But that is one of the problems there really aren't different points of time since time is static. There could be different areas of space, but I still would be both dead and alive at the same time because time is static.
                          No, there are different geometrical points of time precisely because time is being conceived of as static in this model. When you say "at the same time" you are reverting back to the A-model of time and not appreciating the geometrical B-model. According to the geometrical B-model, you are not both dead and alive at the same geometrical point within the geometry of time.

But our experience of the flow of time is still false since there really is no flow of time. Saying that we only occupy a limited portion of space does not tell us why we experience something that isn't actually happening.
                          It is not merely that we occupy a limited portion of space, but a limited portion of space-time.

Yes, I mentioned that earlier, that the B-Theory of time sounds like the mind of God.
                          Then why don't you try and understand it from that analogy?

Comment

No, there are different geometrical points of time precisely because time is being conceived of as static in this model. When you say "at the same time" you are reverting back to the A-model of time and not appreciating the geometrical B-model. According to the geometrical B-model, you are not both dead and alive at the same geometrical point within the geometry of time.
                            Again that does not make sense. If time is static then it is the same where ever I go, I may be in different location, but time is always exactly the same. As a matter of fact I don't see how a static "thing" could have any influence or relevance what so ever. It doesn't do anything.

It is not merely that we occupy a limited portion of space, but a limited portion of space-time.
                            That still does not tell us why we have these false illusions. Why would occupying a limited portion of space-time cause such powerful delusions?

Then why don't you try and understand it from that analogy?
                            Well I don't think we can fully understand the mind of God, of for that fact time.

Comment

Again that does not make sense. If time is static then it is the same where ever I go, I may be in different location, but time is always exactly the same. As a matter of fact I don't see how a static "thing" could have any influence or relevance what so ever. It doesn't do anything.
                              I am not as patient as Boxing, so I may not continue to do this. Time is not the same wherever you go if we are talking about the geometry of space-time. You are here speaking merely of a geometry of space but not a geometry of space-time.

That still does not tell us why we have these false illusions. Why would occupying a limited portion of space-time cause such powerful delusions?
                              Again, because we only occupy a limited portion of space-time. We do not exist at every point in the space-time geometry, but only in a limited number. I would not refer to this as a delusion, but rather merely as a limited perspective, limited in at least three ways, first, by the amount of space-time that we occupy; second, by our familiar experience and general dislike for theoretical models; and, third, by our limited intelligence, some of us being much more limited than others.

Well I don't think we can fully understand the mind of God, of for that fact time.
                              I am certain that we cannot; but I merely suggested that you try and understand it from that analogy.

Comment

I am not as patient as Boxing, so I may not continue to do this. Time is not the same wherever you go if we are talking about the geometry of space-time. You are here speaking merely of a geometry of space but not a geometry of space-time.
                                Ok, this is the sticking point, at least for me. If time is static then how is it differentiated? I can understand how locations can be different, because physically they are. But not time, time does not change - ever. As Boxing has been making clear, there really is no past, preset or future.

Comment