Announcement

Collapse

Rec Room Guidelines

In the Rec Room we share jokes, interesting stories, and speculate about trout's manties. Serve up some Spam in many different flavors and sizes, and just take some time off from study and have fun.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorm, now would be a good time. Forum Rules: here
See more
See less

Should my co-worker watch "Event Horizon?"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
    I vote "maybe". I saw it in the theater when it came out, and thought it had a lot of potential, but I'm also a fan of Paul W. S. Anderson (yes we do exist); In my book he's a poor man's John Carpenter (which is saying something).

If she likes Lovecraftian horror, or is a bit of a horror nut then, yeah, she might dig it. There's some scenes in it that are really freaky, but at some point Anderson didn't know when to leave well enough alone. If you can find it, there's a decent fanedit of the film that cuts away some of the rough edges, and makes it a bit more enjoyable. I'd have her watch that instead, or better yet, have her watch the far better Lovecraftian horror film, also starring Sam Neill, directed by the real deal, Carpenter's In the Mouth of Madness.
    Amen for this. Good flick.
    I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

Carpenter was a friend of mine while making that film. He sent me an early script, complete with a maple syrup stain from his breakfast. I knew the script so well that the movie kinda disappointed me, and I considered it not one of his best. But, I always thought that was me...not him.
      sigpic
      "...so encourage each other and build one another up." ~1 Thessalonians 5:11

Comment

Originally posted by JardinPrayer View Post
        Carpenter was a friend of mine while making that film. He sent me an early script, complete with a maple syrup stain from his breakfast. I knew the script so well that the movie kinda disappointed me, and I considered it not one of his best. But, I always thought that was me...not him.
        Seriously? You were really friends with him? You better not be playing with my emotions right now.

I love that film. It's my third favorite horror film of all time next to The Exorcist and The Shining, and Carpenter is a dang genius in my book. I guess I like it because it's about as Lovecraftian as you can possibly get without being based on any Lovecraft. It's dated now, but the scene where the kid rides his bicycle past them over and over again gave me the chills upon my first viewings back in the 90s. The budget is kinda cheap looking too, even for the 90s, but that's Carpenter for you. He's always been able to make due with very little. If I had an early script I'd frame it. It'd be a prized possession. Hope you still have it.

Comment

Not playing with your emotions. It was a weird and wonderful time in my life...long past. That scene stays with me, too. When I first heard he was making the film, I thought it must be based on At The Mountains of Madness, so I got a copy to read. Um...nope.

I had a bunch of Carpenter memorabilia. Then, I moved on to a new season of life. Sold it all to an uberfan.
          sigpic

Comment

Not playing with your emotions. It was a weird and wonderful time in my life...long past. That scene stays with me, too. When I first heard he was making the film, I thought it must be based on At The Mountains of Madness, so I got a copy to read. Um...nope.

I had a bunch of Carpenter memorabilia. Then, I moved on to a new season of life. Sold it all to an uberfan.
            Ah, dang. Oh well. I guess I can understand. At least you got some stories to tell.

Comment

Ah, dang. Oh well. I guess I can understand. At least you got some stories to tell.
              Here's one: He told me he wanted to write a novel, but was not as familiar with the form as he was with screenwriting. Because I was writing then (no, you never heard of me), he suggested we team up. We traded some drafts of outlines and had a couple of brainstorming sessions. I have no idea if he ever really intended to take this all the way through to a joint authored finished product. But, years later, a film came out called, "White Noise." It's totally our concept. Neither of us had anything to do with it...unless he sold or gave away the concept to someone else.
              sigpic

Comment

Here's one: He told me he wanted to write a novel, but was not as familiar with the form as he was with screenwriting. Because I was writing then (no, you never heard of me), he suggested we team up. We traded some drafts of outlines and had a couple of brainstorming sessions. I have no idea if he ever really intended to take this all the way through to a joint authored finished product. But, years later, a film came out called, "White Noise." It's totally our concept. Neither of us had anything to do with it...unless he sold or gave away the concept to someone else.
                Wow. That's amazing. I remember that film. Had lots of potential, and a great concept, but the execution was a bit weak. Wonder what that would have looked like in Carpenter's hands.

Do you write at all anymore?

Comment

Wow. That's amazing. I remember that film. Had lots of potential, and a great concept, but the execution was a bit weak. Wonder what that would have looked like in Carpenter's hands.

Do you write at all anymore?
                  Not fiction. Not for the last 18 years or so. But, I'm feeling like that may change soon.
                  sigpic

Comment

Well after reading this thread I am convinced. I won't bother seeing it.
                    Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
                      Well after reading this thread I am convinced. I won't bother seeing it.
                      Im guessing you aren't a big horror fan to begin with, Jed!

Funny, as a Sci-fi film, this could have been one of the greats. But it just took an enormous left turn in the third act that completely derailed it, IMHO.

That said, Sam Neill can do things with his face that make any film worth sitting through!
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by I am Ivo, hear me roar View Post
                        For the past three years, I've attempted to convince a co-worker to watch the 1997 movie Event Horizon. This co-worker has thus far refused to watch the film on the grounds that it's a work of evil. However, I say (in the words of a certain ditty) "without evil there could be no good so it must be good to be evil sometimes."

What say ye?
                        Your ditty is false. Evil needs good. What is good does not have any need of evil. I have seen that evil movie. It wasn't worth watching the first time.
                        . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

Originally posted by I am Ivo, hear me roar View Post
                          "without evil there could be no good so it must be good to be evil sometimes."

What say ye?
                          Did you get that from the song Satan was singing in the South Park movie?

Comment

Originally posted by Christy View Post
                            Did you get that from the song Satan was singing in the South Park movie?
                            That would be the ditty

Comment

to false ditties!
                              sigpic

Comment

Im guessing you aren't a big horror fan to begin with, Jed!

Funny, as a Sci-fi film, this could have been one of the greats. But it just took an enormous left turn in the third act that completely derailed it, IMHO.

That said, Sam Neill can do things with his face that make any film worth sitting through!
                                I confess. I was not going to watch it anyway, just as I have not watched it for the last 18 years.
                                Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment