Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Resurrection

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Ah, OK.... this is one area where I will clearly admit lack of knowledge --- I've often wondered about the folks who had organ transplants, or were totally consumed in fire, or other problems. I just trust that the Lord will "make it happen" one way or another, but, yes, a bodily resurrection is, I think, pretty commonly accepted in the Baptist world, at least.
    I also wonder if people with disabilities will have them cured in heaven or not. One could argue that Jesus says it is possible to enter with only one eye, but who knows?
    For what was given to everyone for the use of all, you have taken for your exclusive use. The earth belongs not to the rich, but to everyone. - Ambrose, 4th century AD

All cruelty springs from weakness. - Seneca the Younger

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by KingsGambit View Post
    I also wonder if people with disabilities will have them cured in heaven or not.
    Absolutely.

Rev 21:[3]*And I heard a great voice out of heaven saying, Behold, the tabernacle of God is with men, and he will dwell with them, and they shall be his people, and God himself shall be with them, and be their God. [4]*And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away.
    I have called you my friends.... Jesus
    Jn 15:15

tWebber
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    is the body in bodily resurrection a physical or spiritual body?

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by princesa View Post
    is the body in bodily resurrection a physical or spiritual body?
    I think physical, yes, but probably not in the same sense we are used to.
    1 Corinthians 15:52 says that "the dead will be raised incorruptible".
    Jesus Christ is "the first fruits" of those who have died (1 Corinthians 15:20, 23).
    1 Corinthians 15:42 says that our "body is sown in corruption, it is raised in incorruption."
    Thomas, in John 20:27, physically touched the body of Christ following His resurrection, so He had a physical body.
    Jesus preceded us in death, conquered it, and in Him we have the Hope of eternal life.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    I think physical, yes, but probably not in the same sense we are used to.
    1 Corinthians 15:52 says that "the dead will be raised incorruptible".
    Jesus Christ is "the first fruits" of those who have died (1 Corinthians 15:20, 23).
    1 Corinthians 15:42 says that our "body is sown in corruption, it is raised in incorruption."
    Thomas, in John 20:27, physically touched the body of Christ following His resurrection, so He had a physical body.
    Jesus preceded us in death, conquered it, and in Him we have the Hope of eternal life.
    Of course! There's no death or pain in the New Heavens and New Earth, which implies to me that our bodies will be different than the ones we have now. Invulnerable?
    If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Ah, for one my bad KG, I didn't see your comment before my second post, but that is exactly what I'm getting at. How common is it do you all think that people ignore the scriptures that for example 37818 posted (except for Acts 1? I don't see you meaning).

This post isn't so much a discussion about the actual eschatological event (whatever form that will take is a discussion we can have in an Eschatologies thread), so much as it is about the seeming lack of knowledge upon it by the laity. I think we can know how important this is when we look to the Scriptures pointed out, especially 1 Corinthians 15, to see that this is a topic worthy of discussion, and also the importance of this as a defense against Gnostic critiques of the material.

I suppose to answer my own question, the progressive and liberal branches of the church probably miss the point entirely, along with potentially some evangelicals. It is a wrong teaching that should be taught against. Is it however heresy to deny a general resurrection?

I've got a lot of questions and not many answers. :)

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pentecost View Post
    Ah, for one my bad KG, I didn't see your comment before my second post, but that is exactly what I'm getting at. How common is it do you all think that people ignore the scriptures that for example 37818 posted (except for Acts 1? I don't see you meaning).

This post isn't so much a discussion about the actual eschatological event (whatever form that will take is a discussion we can have in an Eschatologies thread), so much as it is about the seeming lack of knowledge upon it by the laity. I think we can know how important this is when we look to the Scriptures pointed out, especially 1 Corinthians 15, to see that this is a topic worthy of discussion, and also the importance of this as a defense against Gnostic critiques of the material.

I suppose to answer my own question, the progressive and liberal branches of the church probably miss the point entirely, along with potentially some evangelicals. It is a wrong teaching that should be taught against. Is it however heresy to deny a general resurrection?

I've got a lot of questions and not many answers. :)
    Obviously I'm not the final arbiter of orthodoxy but I would consider a denial of general resurrection to be a heresy because it's mentioned in the Nicene Creed: " He shall come again, with glory, to judge the quick and the dead", and it was something Jesus and Paul frequently emphasized.
    For what was given to everyone for the use of all, you have taken for your exclusive use. The earth belongs not to the rich, but to everyone. - Ambrose, 4th century AD

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    The reason I bring up the thing about disabilities is because I've been reading a book about Christianity and disabilities by Amos Yong. He says he has a problem with the idea that we say that all disabilities go away in heaven because it seems offensive to people with disabilities and because some people's identities are wrapped up with them (especially autism spectrum type disabilities). I'm not done with the book but I'm not at all convinced by his arguments (and of course they're more complicated than the quick summary I provided here).

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Obviously I'm not the final arbiter of orthodoxy but I would consider a denial of general resurrection to be a heresy because it's mentioned in the Nicene Creed: " He shall come again, with glory, to judge the quick and the dead", and it was something Jesus and Paul frequently emphasized.
    Yeah, it's kind of an important part of the Bible.

Remember the discourse between Jesus and Mary and Martha (John 11-ish) --- "my brother will rise again eventually"... "I AM the resurrection and the life..."

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    The reason I bring up the thing about disabilities is because I've been reading a book about Christianity and disabilities by Amos Yong. He says he has a problem with the idea that we say that all disabilities go away in heaven because it seems offensive to people with disabilities and because some people's identities are wrapped up with them (especially autism spectrum type disabilities). I'm not done with the book but I'm not at all convinced by his arguments (and of course they're more complicated than the quick summary I provided here).
    I've never met anybody with a disability who said, "yeah, I sure hope I still have this in Heaven". I would be cool with not missing half of my right hand's fingers.

HOWEVER -- if it meant NOT going to Heaven, I'd gladly go with my minor inconvenience.