Announcement

Collapse

Amphitheater Guidelines

In the Amphitheater we sit back and share a good song, offer a movie review, discuss sports, or anything in entertainment and family enjoyment.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: here
Steam Group: here

Thanks!
See more
See less

Underrated Horror Movies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Underrated Horror Movies

There has been quite a bit of talk concerning horror movies, so I thought I would start a thread and ask you horror fans what movies you think are underrated.

One horror movie I feel is criminally underrated is The Ruins. I do love good creature features, and this by far was one of the best in recent memory. Not only is it a good movie, but Ben Stiller was an executive producer of it. Who would have thought he would make a good horror movie?
    "Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ― C.S. Lewis, God in the Dock: Essays on Theology (Making of Modern Theology)

I liked The Ruins alright. Let me think about some others....
    I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

Housebound is a good comedy horror. Surprisingly funny.

Altered is a pretty cool flick about a group of rednecks that capture an alien and bring it to a garage.

V/H/S 2 was, IMO, a good horror anthology. Not necessary to see the first one, and from what I've seen the second was better anyway. The third short in this movie is completely mind-blowing.

Comment

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
        Housebound is a good comedy horror. Surprisingly funny.

Altered is a pretty cool flick about a group of rednecks that capture an alien and bring it to a garage.

V/H/S 2 was, IMO, a good horror anthology. Not necessary to see the first one, and from what I've seen the second was better anyway. The third short in this movie is completely mind-blowing.
        I have not seen Housebound. I should go check that out.

Altered is definitely underrated, nice to see the alien get abducted for a change .

I saw V/H/S 1 but not the second. I kinda liked the first, so I should give the other a shot.

I think Frailty is also an underrated gem.
        "Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ― C.S. Lewis, God in the Dock: Essays on Theology (Making of Modern Theology)

Comment

Originally posted by Jesse View Post
          I have not seen Housebound. I should go check that out.

Altered is definitely underrated, nice to see the alien get abducted for a change .

I saw V/H/S 1 but not the second. I kinda liked the first, so I should give the other a shot.

I think Frailty is also an underrated gem.
          Oh man, you should watch V/H/S 2. All the shorts in it are at least worth watching, but there's one in particular that is completely off-the-wall insane. Are you familiar with The Raid and The Raid 2? Same director as those two. (which are cool movies too)

Comment

Oh man, you should watch V/H/S 2. All the shorts in it are at least worth watching, but there's one in particular that is completely off-the-wall insane. Are you familiar with The Raid and The Raid 2? Same director as those two. (which are cool movies too)
            Oh really? I really enjoyed The Raid movies. Best action series to come out in a long time. Kind of reminded me of the Dredd remake. Very Cool. I am definitely going to check it out then.

Comment

I don't if I'd call it underrated, but I thought Sinister was very creepy. Definitely creepier than the Insidious movies.

I've seen a bunch, but for some reason I just can't think of any right now.

Comment

Ooh, I thought of one:

Ravenous--this one's a bit weird; a western/cannibal horror movie that's got a weird sense of humor. Also a really good, if a bit unsettling, soundtrack.

Comment

I don't if I'd call it underrated, but I thought Sinister was very creepy. Definitely creepier than the Insidious movies.

I've seen a bunch, but for some reason I just can't think of any right now.
                  Oh no worries. Sinister was pretty creepy. I will be seeing the second one as well. Hope it keeps the atmosphere. Never saw Insidious however.

I guess I should give one that I don't think if it is underrated or just not that well known, but Attack the Block was a pretty good creature feature. If you haven't seen it, I think you may like it.

Comment

Ooh, I thought of one:

Ravenous--this one's a bit weird; a western/cannibal horror movie that's got a weird sense of humor. Also a really good, if a bit unsettling, soundtrack.
                    Ravenous!! Great call there. That soundtrack was annoyingly creepy...

Comment

Here are two that I recently saw and were better than I expected.

The first is Compound Fracture which stars and was written by Tyler Mane (the guy who played Sabretooth in the X-men movies) along with his wife and features a couple other horror movie veterans. Mane's character, along with his fiance and recently orphaned nephew, go to see his father who has turned his home into a compound against supernatural assault and is starting to go senile.

The second is Styria (a.k.a. Angels of Darkness) about a father who takes his troubled daughter behind the Iron Curtain to a Hungarian castle slated for destruction to rescue/study some murals painted by a crazed artist. It is a vampire story which seems more like a ghost story and has very little violence compared to most movies of this genre.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Prince of Darkness
                        That's what
                        - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                        - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                        - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06
                          The first is Compound Fracture which stars and was written by Tyler Mane (the guy who played Sabretooth in the X-men movies) along with his wife and features a couple other horror movie veterans. Mane's character, along with his fiance and recently orphaned nephew, go to see his father who has turned his home into a compound against supernatural assault and is starting to go senile.
                          That sounds really interesting. I am getting some good movies to check out here.

Originally posted by Bill the Cat
                          Prince of Darkness
                          Completely forgot about Prince of Darkness. Haven't seen that in such a long time. Nice!

Here is another one of mine: The Relic.

Comment

The movie Session 9 was pretty creepy.

Comment

I can't watch horror any more, though it used to be my favorite genre. I appreciate a quieter, less gory form of creepy now. For me, "The Others," with Nicole Kidman is an underrated great one. It genuinely made me uncomfortable, made me jump in my seat, and resolved satisfyingly. It's more of a classic got his ghost story, but that counts in the genre, right?

Someone recommended "The Conjuring" to me recently. I recorded it on my DVR and it sat there for a month, I watched, before I deleted it. Just lost my taste for the stuff.
                              sigpic
                              "...so encourage each other and build one another up." ~1 Thessalonians 5:11

Comment