Announcement

Collapse

Amphitheater Guidelines

In the Amphitheater we sit back and share a good song, offer a movie review, discuss sports, or anything in entertainment and family enjoyment.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: here
Steam Group: here

Thanks!
See more
See less

Underrated Horror Movies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Jesse View Post
    After thinking about it, I wonder if I should give the movie another shot. It's been a long time since I've seen it and my tastes sometimes change drasticaly. Maybe I can find a dubbed version somewhere.
    Nah, you don't want to find a dubbed version of it. You need that French accent to whisper sweet nothings in your ear, til you become one of the lost children trapped in a Rube Goldberg.

By the way, I said "early 19th century French setting", and of course I meant early 20th century. Sometimes I forget which century belongs to which.

I am still shocked that Cronenberg was the mind behind that movie. It's so unexpected. You are so right, there are some artists that have such an amazing range they can put their talents to something you would never think of and make it work.

You'll never guess what Michael Bay did.... No just kidding, he's done nothing but garbage.

Comment

• Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
      I recommend anyone who can get their hands on Troll 2 to watch it. It's commonly claimed to be the worst movie ever made, but I thought it was brilliant (maybe because of the low expectations set by its reputation). A more serious horror movie could easily be made with the basic plot/setting and it would become an instant classic, but since I enjoy horror comedy that isn't British (shaun of the dead was horrible), I think it's a classic in its own way.
      Seen it.

Loved it.

Lived it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
        I didn't see the documentary. I don't dislike it because it was British per se, but Britain has a habit of making horror I hate. I thought it was a terrible movie. Same with Hot Fuzz. And Britain is world renowned for destroying the Tales from the Crypt series (they filmed the last season in Britain to save money and it was the most awful of the bunch). Speaking of Tales, my favorite episodes were "Television Terror" and "Mournin' Mess" and I think they're both on youtube.
        That's just nonsense. Aliens was filmed in Britain. Hitchcock was British. Dog Soldiers is about the British.

Hot Fuzz, admittedly sucked. An American Werewolf in London was bad Edited by a Moderator. Shaun of the Dead and 28 Days Later was great. Nuff said.
        Last edited by rogue06; 01-22-2016, 08:59 PM.

Comment

Two of my favorites were People Who Live in Brass Hearses and What's Cookin'.
          Dang, two more to add to the list.

Comment

• Originally posted by Adrift
            Nah, you don't want to find a dubbed version of it. You need that French accent to whisper sweet nothings in your ear, til you become one of the lost children trapped in a Rube Goldberg.

By the way, I said "early 19th century French setting", and of course I meant early 20th century. Sometimes I forget which century belongs to which.
            Why would you make me go through all that French again? I will probably still watch it even if I don't find it dubbed. I forget if Ron Perlman's French is as passable as his Italian was in The Name of the Rose.

No worries, I sometimes forget what century we are in now.

Originally posted by Adrift
            You'll never guess what Michael Bay did.... No just kidding, he's done nothing but garbage.
            I thought you were really going to surprise me with something there . Call me crazy, but I like Bay's stuff. It's just mindless fun. Could you imagine him doing a horror movie?

That's just nonsense. Aliens was filmed in Britain. Hitchcock was British. Dog Soldiers is about the British.

Hot Fuzz, admittedly sucked. An American Werewolf in London was bad Edited by a Moderator. Shaun of the Dead and 28 Days Later was great. Nuff said.
            Let's not forget that Lifeforce was also British.

Dang, two more to add to the list.
            Can't really go wrong with most Tales from the Crypt episodes. Not to get too off topic, but does anyone remember the awesome Friday the 13th TV series? I always thought that was underrated for a TV show.
            Last edited by rogue06; 01-22-2016, 09:00 PM.
            "Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ― C.S. Lewis, God in the Dock: Essays on Theology (Making of Modern Theology)

Comment

Why would you make me go through all that French again? I will probably still watch it even if I don't find it dubbed. I forget if Ron Perlman's French is as passable as his Italian was in The Name of the Rose.
              No, and no.

No worries, I sometimes forget what century we are in now.

I thought you were really going to surprise me with something there . Call me crazy, but I like Bay's stuff. It's just mindless fun. Could you imagine him doing a horror movie?
              Yer crazy, and no.

Let's not forget that Lifeforce was also British.
              Never forget!

Can't really go wrong with most Tales from the Crypt episodes. Not to get too off topic, but does anyone remember the awesome Friday the 13th TV series? I always thought that was underrated for a TV show.
              Absolutely. It could have used more Jason, and less stupid antiques!

Comment

• Originally posted by Adrift View Post
                That's just nonsense. Aliens was filmed in Britain.
                Aliens was an action movie.

Hitchcock was British.
                There are exceptions to every rule.

Dog Soldiers is about the British.
                Dog Soldiers was average. If you're gonna throw in barely horror mediocrities Wilderness was a better British mediocrity.

An American Werewolf in London was bad Edited by a Moderator.
                edit: I mixed it up with An American Werewolf in Paris, I don't think I've seen this one so I won't comment.
                Last edited by rogue06; 01-22-2016, 08:59 PM.
                "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jesse
                  I loved that show. I only watched it the first time because I was waiting for another show (Adderly, if memory serves) but I was quickly hooked. Okay, Ryan was cute, that helped...
                  "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

• Originally posted by Adrift

Absolutely. It could have used more Jason, and less stupid antiques!
                    Anyone else think Warehouse 13 was a bit of a ripoff?
                    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

• Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                      Anyone else think Warehouse 13 was a bit of a ripoff?
                      Totally. Fun show too.

Comment

• The guy who plays Arnie was in my all time favorite, Nero Wolfe. George Wyner played the same character in the Seventies version but he came in a close second. Also in my favorite STNG episode and was in the pilot of... oh drat, gotta go look it up...

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

• Saul Rubinek was the guy. Leverage was the show.

You kids get off my lawn...

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

• Originally posted by JardinPrayer View Post
                            So, I haven't seen the trailer, but some tween boys I was minding for an afternoon showed me the trailer for "Rubber." It's about a tire that becomes not only sentient, but psychotic and psychokinetic and goes on a killing spree. Let me tell you, my jaw just hung open as I contemplated what it took in time, money, and resources to bring this concept to life. Boggles the mind. Then, I laughed hysterically at the brilliance of it all and added it to my watchlist. When I mentioned it to my husband, he said he'd love to watch it! I don't know why we haven't watched it yet. Let's have a party at my place and watch it together.
                            That was a movie that I just wanted the time I wasted watching it back so I could do something more interesting -- like watching paint dry.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Watched Grave Encounters yesterday.

Spoilers

I liked how instead of throwing in contrived excuses for keeping the victims contained as a side-thought, they make their inability to get out the main source of the horror. They could've probably removed most of the spirit activity from the movie and still had good horror.
                              "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

• Has anybody mentioned Session 9?
                                I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X