Announcement

Collapse

Amphitheater Guidelines

In the Amphitheater we sit back and share a good song, offer a movie review, discuss sports, or anything in entertainment and family enjoyment.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: here
Steam Group: here

Thanks!
See more
See less

Underrated Horror Movies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yes.
    "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

• I watched one called Kill List. It's pretty bleak.

The Loved Ones is weird and kind of disturbing.

For the truly bizarre, Society.
      I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

• The Collector (2009) is a very good slasher. The sequel OTOH suffers from the same problem Aliens did in that it turns from horror into a mostly action movie featuring the antagonist from the first movie (unlike Aliens 2 though it's not a particularly good action movie).
        "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

• Originally posted by Adrift
          Yer crazy, and no.
          Maybe I am. Now I think I will probably start a petition to get Bay to direct a horror movie. Then I will bug you until you watch it.

Originally posted by Adrift
          Absolutely. It could have used more Jason, and less stupid antiques!
          Noooooo. We really didn't need that show to turn into Freddy's Nightmares.

Originally posted by Teallaura
          I loved that show. I only watched it the first time because I was waiting for another show (Adderly, if memory serves) but I was quickly hooked. Okay, Ryan was cute, that helped...
          You had your Ryan and I had my Micki . I had such a crush on her. The ending episode was a bit meh in my opinion.

Originally posted by Zymologist
          Has anybody mentioned Session 9?
          Yes. Christy mentioned it. I'm glad she did because that was soooo much better than expected.

Originally posted by Zymologist
          Oh yeah. That one was pretty weird. But it is worth a watch.
          "Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ― C.S. Lewis, God in the Dock: Essays on Theology (Making of Modern Theology)

Comment

• Originally posted by Jesse View Post
            Oh yeah. That one was pretty weird. But it is worth a watch.
            Have you seen Society? Talk about weird....

Comment

• Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
              Have you seen Society? Talk about weird....
              I have not. I just read your link and it doesn't sound familiar. Is it weird in a good way? Or just weird?
              "Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ― C.S. Lewis, God in the Dock: Essays on Theology (Making of Modern Theology)

Comment

I have not. I just read your link and it doesn't sound familiar. Is it weird in a good way? Or just weird?
                Uh...I'm not sure how to answer that.

For most of the movie you'll probably think it's kind of boring. Then the ending comes around, and you'll wonder just what on earth you just watched. It's weird in a good way in the sense that if you like weird, bizarre stuff you'll like it. If you want to get the most out of it, don't read any spoilers of the end. Just...watch, and prepare yourself for that scene.

Edit: I should say if you like weird, bizarre stuff you'll probably like it. It's totally out there. I can't even think of anything to compare it to.

Comment

Uh...I'm not sure how to answer that.

For most of the movie you'll probably think it's kind of boring. Then the ending comes around, and you'll wonder just what on earth you just watched. It's weird in a good way in the sense that if you like weird, bizarre stuff you'll like it. If you want to get the most out of it, don't read any spoilers of the end. Just...watch, and prepare yourself for that scene.
                  Oooh, sounds interesting. It's one of those movies where the entire thing hinges on the big reveal? Like uh, The Usual Suspects?

Comment

Oooh, sounds interesting. It's one of those movies where the entire thing hinges on the big reveal? Like uh, The Usual Suspects?
                    I actually haven't seen The Usual Suspects, but yeah, pretty much. I need to see that one.

Comment

I actually haven't seen The Usual Suspects, but yeah, pretty much. I need to see that one.
                      It's really good. You will enjoy it. I'm going to check this out then. Weird doesn't bother me as long as there is a nice pay off at the end.

Comment

• So I love anthologies, and I think an anthology that was really well done was After Dark Horrorfest. One of the movies from HorrorFest 2006 that I think is very underrated was The Gravedancers. If anyone else has seen it, tell me what you thought of it.

Comment

• Quoting on my phone takes more patience than I have at present so I'll just skip it. Going back to Friday the Thirteenth the Series, yeah, I don't recall thinking much of the ending. But I did enjoy most of the series.
                          "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

• Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                            Quoting on my phone takes more patience than I have at present so I'll just skip it. Going back to Friday the Thirteenth the Series, yeah, I don't recall thinking much of the ending. But I did enjoy most of the series.
                            Indeed. The last episode should not be me remembering Micki getting whipped by Marquis de Sade.

Comment

I watched one called Kill List. It's pretty bleak.

For the truly bizarre, Society.
                              I liked Kill List. Pretty intense. I haven't seen Society in years. I need to check that one out again sometime. Haven't seen The Loved Ones.

Comment

Maybe I am. Now I think I will probably start a petition to get Bay to direct a horror movie. Then I will bug you until you watch it.
                                Being forced to watch a Michael Bay horror film might be it's own horror film.

Noooooo. We really didn't need that show to turn into Freddy's Nightmares.
                                Freddy's Nightmares was only good when Freddy featured in them, which I think was...what? Once, twice? It bugged the crap out of me that Freddy's Nightmares and the Friday the 13th series never actually featured their namesake's characters. I guess I didn't get the promotional concept of brand recognition back then, not that it helped, since both shows seemed to be on at extremely late time slots that only channel surfing insomniacs would tune into.

Comment