Page 2 of 45 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Underrated Horror Movies

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Here are two that I recently saw and were better than I expected.

The first is Compound Fracture which stars and was written by Tyler Mane (the guy who played Sabretooth in the X-men movies) along with his wife and features a couple other horror movie veterans. Mane's character, along with his fiance and recently orphaned nephew, go to see his father who has turned his home into a compound against supernatural assault and is starting to go senile.

The second is Styria (a.k.a. Angels of Darkness) about a father who takes his troubled daughter behind the Iron Curtain to a Hungarian castle slated for destruction to rescue/study some murals painted by a crazed artist. It is a vampire story which seems more like a ghost story and has very little violence compared to most movies of this genre.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" -- starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)

2. Amen Jesse amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Prince of Darkness

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals --- Manya the Holy Szin --- The Quintara Marathon ---

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common --- Stephen R. Donaldson ---

4. Amen Jesse amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by rogue06
    The first is Compound Fracture which stars and was written by Tyler Mane (the guy who played Sabretooth in the X-men movies) along with his wife and features a couple other horror movie veterans. Mane's character, along with his fiance and recently orphaned nephew, go to see his father who has turned his home into a compound against supernatural assault and is starting to go senile.
    That sounds really interesting. I am getting some good movies to check out here.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill the Cat
    Prince of Darkness
    Completely forgot about Prince of Darkness. Haven't seen that in such a long time. Nice!

Here is another one of mine: The Relic.
    "Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ― C.S. Lewis, God in the Dock: Essays on Theology (Making of Modern Theology)

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    The movie Session 9 was pretty creepy.

7. Amen Zymologist, Jesse amen'd this post.
    Emeritus Professor JardinPrayer's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I can't watch horror any more, though it used to be my favorite genre. I appreciate a quieter, less gory form of creepy now. For me, "The Others," with Nicole Kidman is an underrated great one. It genuinely made me uncomfortable, made me jump in my seat, and resolved satisfyingly. It's more of a classic got his ghost story, but that counts in the genre, right?

Someone recommended "The Conjuring" to me recently. I recorded it on my DVR and it sat there for a month, I watched, before I deleted it. Just lost my taste for the stuff.

"...so encourage each other and build one another up." ~1 Thessalonians 5:11

9. Amen Jesse amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by JardinPrayer View Post
    I can't watch horror any more, though it used to be my favorite genre. I appreciate a quieter, less gory form of creepy now. For me, "The Others," with Nicole Kidman is an underrated great one. It genuinely made me uncomfortable, made me jump in my seat, and resolved satisfyingly. It's more of a classic got his ghost story, but that counts in the genre, right?

Someone recommended "The Conjuring" to me recently. I recorded it on my DVR and it sat there for a month, I watched, before I deleted it. Just lost my taste for the stuff.
    The Others had that creepy sort of twist for an ending like the Sixth Sense did.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" -- starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)

Well, if you want to avoid gore, but want a creepy movie try Signs if you haven't seen it already.

Emeritus Professor JardinPrayer's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Signs got nuts at the end, like so many genre films to. It was great, and then it was just, like, whaaaaaaaaattttt?

"...so encourage each other and build one another up." ~1 Thessalonians 5:11

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Signs got nuts at the end, like so many genre films to. It was great, and then it was just, like, whaaaaaaaaattttt?
    I didn't think so, but then again maybe I'm a little nuts myself.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
    I didn't think so, but then again maybe I'm a little nuts myself.
    Well you are a mod at Tweb

15. Amen Cerebrum123, Jesse, Littlejoe amen'd this post.