Page 3 of 45 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Underrated Horror Movies

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Nightbreed. Great little horror monster movie by Clive Barker. A good man finds himself drawn in dreams to a mysterious underground city full of the weird, bizarre and monstrous, but a serial killer played by David Cronenberg becomes aware of this city as well. Recently reissued on bluray with a director's original cut.

Also by Clive Barker, Lord of Illusions. About a detective who finds himself investigating a magical cult. This is based on Barker's Harry D'Amour character who shows up in a number of his works. If you like films like Angel Heart, or Constantine/Hellblazer then you'll probably like this film. Starring Scott Bakula and Famke Janssen. I love this film, and I love this character. Wish they did more with him.

Cemetery Man aka Dellamorte Dellamore. An Italian dark comedy about a caretaker who has the job of keeping the dead dead. I found this film totally by accident looking for a film to watch while hopping around New England in 94. Popped into the cinema with no idea what it was all about, and left loving it.

Hausu aka House. An extremely bizarre 1977 Japanese haunted house film that makes absolutely no sense at all, but is also absolutely riveting. It's weird and wonderful and everything I love about finding creepy films like these.

On the same note of weird, Alice by the Polish director Jan Svankmajer. Svankmajer is a stop motion animator. Has a very Eastern Bloc communist art film atmosphere to it that's just haunting. An eclectic retelling of Alice in Wonderland featuring a stop motion taxidermied White Rabbit whose sawdust keeps falling out.

The House of the Devil. I thought this Ti West film was going to reclaim horror back from the boring cliche James Wans of the world. Pretty sure now that he was just a one hit wonder. A modern film with an 80s horror setting and a classic 80s SRA (Satanic Ritual Abuse) theme as it's focus.

Hardware. Richard Stanley's classic post-apocalyptic film about an artist who finds a scrap robot that she retools and that comes to life with less than good intentions. Got sort of a dusty Gothic Western feel which was kinda the rage with a lot of Goth bands in the late 80s and early 90s. Cameos by Iggy Pop, Lemmy, and Carl McCoy of Fields of Nephilim (which makes a bit of sense of the Gothic cowboy thing).

Hmm. Guess that's all for now.
    Last edited by Adrift; 08-11-2015 at 10:14 PM.

2. Amen Jesse amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Lords of Illusion and The House of the Devil were both good. Have you seen Ravenous, Adrift?
    Hofstadter's Law: It will always take longer than you expect, even if you take into account Hofstadter's Law.

"Metal is an apple--everything's good but the core."

4. Amen Adrift amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zymologist View Post
    Lords of Illusion and The House of the Devil were both good. Have you seen Ravenous, Adrift?
    Yep. I thought that was a very good film. Not one of my favorites, but still, very good.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Those are some great picks, Adrift. Can't go wrong with Lord of Illusions. I saw Cemetery Man once and thought it was interesting. I don't know, but there is just something about Italian horror I just can't get into. I started out with Dario Argento's films, but can't place why they do nothing for me.

Speaking of House (I have to check out the Japanese version), anyone here thinks that the William Katt version is greatly underrated like me? To see him go from The Greatest American Hero to that movie turned me into an instant fan of his.
    "Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ― C.S. Lewis, God in the Dock: Essays on Theology (Making of Modern Theology)

7. Amen Adrift amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by JardinPrayer View Post
    I can't watch horror any more, though it used to be my favorite genre. I appreciate a quieter, less gory form of creepy now. For me, "The Others," with Nicole Kidman is an underrated great one. It genuinely made me uncomfortable, made me jump in my seat, and resolved satisfyingly. It's more of a classic got his ghost story, but that counts in the genre, right?

Someone recommended "The Conjuring" to me recently. I recorded it on my DVR and it sat there for a month, I watched, before I deleted it. Just lost my taste for the stuff.
    If it's no gore and atmosphere you are after, I would highly recommend Pulse from 1988. I think it's not only an underrated Sci-Fi horror film, but an underrated film of the entire 80's. It's about a suburban family that gets terrorized by electricity. If you haven't seen it, I can't recommend it enough.
    "Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ― C.S. Lewis, God in the Dock: Essays on Theology (Making of Modern Theology)

9. Amen JardinPrayer amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I don't know about underrated or obscure. Horror has never been a favorite of mine, but for creeped me out so badly I promised God to never watch it again there's The Devil's Advocate. iDe Niro as Satan and Keanu Reeves as his half human lawyer son.

11. Amen Jesse amen'd this post.
    Emeritus Professor JardinPrayer's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesse View Post
    If it's no gore and atmosphere you are after, I would highly recommend Pulse from 1988. I think it's not only an underrated Sci-Fi horror film, but an underrated film of the entire 80's. It's about a suburban family that gets terrorized by electricity. If you haven't seen it, I can't recommend it enough.
    I haven't seen it! And, the '80s was my decade for horror! I'll look it up. Thanks.

Hey, Adrift, wanna know what John Carpenter's favorite horror film is?

"...so encourage each other and build one another up." ~1 Thessalonians 5:11

13. Amen Jesse amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Teallaura
    I don't know about underrated or obscure. Horror has never been a favorite of mine, but for creeped me out so badly I promised God to never watch it again there's The Devil's Advocate. iDe Niro as Satan and Keanu Reeves as his half human lawyer son.
    That is a pretty creepy movie. And a good pick. I can see it being underrated. I never see it in anyone's "Top Horror" lists.

Quote Originally Posted by JardinPrayer
    I haven't seen it! And, the '80s was my decade for horror! I'll look it up. Thanks.
    You're welcome. Let me know what you thought of it whenever you get the chance to see it.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesse View Post
    You're welcome. Let me know what you thought of it whenever you get the chance to see it.
    Just added it to my Amazon watchlist. Had to be careful not to select the 2008 film of the same name which, although it looks exceedingly inane, has at least 2 sequels.

16. Amen Jesse amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Adrift, I loved Cemetary Man. I thought I was the only American on the planet who knew about it!

Barker is way too much for me.

18. Amen Adrift amen'd this post.