Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

And, Religion Is Good For You....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JimL View Post
    The article is not about belief, it is about the feel good aspect of being part of a community. With regards to the happiness factor, it doesn't matter which cult the community holds to, they all offer rewards for belief, all that matters is the community and the support it provides. Got any happiness data on isolated believers as opposed to non-believers?
    Well no that is not true at all. They compared religious communities with non-religious communities. And religious communities did far better. So mere lack of isolation can not be the bottom denominator.
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
      Your article is only concerned with the over 50's and it makes sense that the older generation would regard religion as more important than the younger generation does; they come from an era where religion played a more important role in daily life than it does today. According to the data, Millenials are much less interested in organized religion -- and also less interested in spirituality in general. They are the least religious generation ever and this trend is likely to continue.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/0...n_7452998.html
      “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

Originally posted by Tassman View Post
        Your article is only concerned with the over 50's and it makes sense that the older generation would regard religion as more important than the younger generation does; they come from an era where religion played a more important role in daily life than it does today. According to the data, Millenials are much less interested in organized religion -- and also less interested in spirituality in general. They are the least religious generation ever and this trend is likely to continue.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/0...n_7452998.html
        Well yes, older people are smarter, more life experience. I was not religious when I was young either. But that does not change the study, that religious belief offers a more sustained sense of happiness.
        Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

Well yes, older people are smarter, more life experience. I was not religious when I was young either. But that does not change the study, that religious belief offers a more sustained sense of happiness.
          ...only the over 50's of today, that's all the study represents, NOT the over 50's of the future. You're invalidly extrapolating.
          “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

...only the over 50's of today, that's all the study represents, NOT the over 50's of the future. You're invalidly extrapolating.
            I know Tass, any positive studies on religion just grates on you - we understand...

Comment

I'm not sure it matters. Perhaps it is as simple as the fact that religion offers a hope and peace that other social organizations or social activities can't.
              I thought when I saw this thread you might be suggesting this as evidence Christianity is true. It is good to read you are only claiming "religion offers a hope and peace" and not suggesting any of them are actually right.
              My Blog: http://oncreationism.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

I know Tass, any positive studies on religion just grates on you - we understand...
                No, you're just misrepresenting the study in order to reinforce your own agenda. It's dishonest.

Comment

No, you're just misrepresenting the study in order to reinforce your own agenda. It's dishonest.
                  I did not misrepresent anything. Being in a religious community was far better for sustained happiness than being in non-religious communities. I offered an opinion on why that might be - religion offers a hope (and by extension a peace) that non-religious communities can not. That is not a illogical leap.

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
                    The article is not about belief, it is about the feel good aspect of being part of a community. With regards to the happiness factor, it doesn't matter which cult the community holds to, they all offer rewards for belief, all that matters is the community and the support it provides. Got any happiness data on isolated believers as opposed to non-believers?
                    http://www.lyricsmode.com/lyrics/t/t..._extremes.html

Originally posted by A Point Between Extremes - This Beautiful Republic
                    With no one here for me
                    I feel so dead
                    You whispered in the dark, and you said, you said
                    No, No, never alone
                    And here is a link to the actual song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9OeJVBVHNI
                    “I didn’t go to religion to make me happy. I always knew a bottle of Port would do that. If you want a religion to make you feel really comfortable, I certainly don’t recommend Christianity.” - C.S. Lewis

Comment

I did not misrepresent anything. Being in a religious community was far better for sustained happiness than being in non-religious communities. I offered an opinion on why that might be - religion offers a hope (and by extension a peace) that non-religious communities can not. That is not a illogical leap.
                      The study measured the over 50’s of today and the results are unsurprising given that such people were raised in a much more religious era than today. But, given that the Millennials are leaving religion in unprecedented numbers, it is not reasonable to extrapolate that the over 50’s of the future will similarly be more content living in a religious environment.

Comment

Living in a fantasy world can certainly be good for people seer. Reminds me of the quote I heard from Marie Curie husband years ago. "One must make of reality a dream, and within that dream a reality." But because living in a fantasy world might make one happy is not in itself a good reason for a truth seeker to believe it. So, it is understandable as to why people hold to such beliefs, particularly when such belief has been inculcated from an early age, happiness is a good thing, even if it is founded upon a faulty premise, but most of those people are not seeking truth, their brains are wired in a way that they think they already know the truth and have no need to look any further.

Comment

The study measured the over 50’s of today and the results are unsurprising given that such people were raised in a much more religious era than today. But, given that the Millennials are leaving religion in unprecedented numbers, it is not reasonable to extrapolate that the over 50’s of the future will similarly be more content living in a religious environment.
                          So what? Tass, it stands to reason that a belief system that offers hope beyond this world would cause more happiness or peace. As opposed to the utter hopelessness of your atheism.

Comment

So what? Tass, it stands to reason that a belief system that offers hope beyond this world would cause more happiness or peace. As opposed to the utter hopelessness of your atheism.
                            No doubt the belief of Muslim suicide bombers in Paradise and the promise of 72 virgins, offers “real hope” too. Does the truth of the “hope” or lack thereof, make no difference to you?

Comment