Announcement

Collapse

Health Science 101 Guidelines

Greetings! Welcome to Health Science.

Here's where we talk about the latest fad diets, the advantages of vegetarianism, the joy of exercise and good health. Like everywhere else at Tweb our decorum rules apply.

This is a place to exchange ideas and network with other health conscience folks, this isn't a forum for heated debate.
See more
See less

Strange Remedies and "Resets" for Human Problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strange Remedies and "Resets" for Human Problems

When my youngest daughter was about 3 years old, she was diagnosed with PAT - Paroxysmal Atrial Tachycardia.

Her heart would suddenly speed up, causing her to feel dizzy and short of breath. It was not a life threatening problem, but quite annoying.

The doctor explained how to "reset" her heart. I would have her close her eyes, then I would put my thumbs - one on each eyeball (eyes closed) and begin exerting pressure on her eyes.
    Her heart would reset almost immediately. Eventually, she learned to do this herself.

I wonder how they figured out this was a "solution", and what other "resets" you may have experienced.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Sometimes my heart will flutter and skip a beat (doc say it's normal)

If I cough it "resets"

Comment

oh, its the vagal nerve reflex!!!

If you strain too hard on the toilet you can "stop your heart." actually, we've had old people die from that (I'm not kidding)
      A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
      George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by Catholicity View Post

If you strain too hard on the toilet you can "stop your heart." actually, we've had old people die from that (I'm not kidding)
        I told the heart doctor when they did the cath that I had these episodes sometimes and it seemed to run in my family. He said lots of people get these palpitations from time to time and he could see nothing wrong with my heart.

Comment

I saw an episode of X.files where that happened.
          "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

A little background: Since I was at TWeb last, I lost my job, decided to go to nursing school and am now a cardiac nurse, so this is something I know a little bit about (unlike all my old eschatology post )

The pressure on the eye, the coughing and the straining on the toilet all apply pressure to a nerve that also affects heart rate. This is the same nerve (the vagus nerve) is what hurts like fire when you get an ice cream head ache. So what happens in 'vagus' affects your your heart. :D

Just a little FYI

Nurse Faramir , RN.

Comment

Which was why in the old days doctors often recommended coughing while straining to help prevent the heart from stopping. I don't know if it works, just that's what they advised.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I haven't "passed out"* in a long time, but oddly enough a little bit of salt on my tongue could get me back up.

*I could hear stuff, and feel stuff, but I couldn't really move or react when this happened. This was always caused by some form of trauma.

Comment

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
                  I haven't "passed out"* in a long time, but oddly enough a little bit of salt on my tongue could get me back up.

*I could hear stuff, and feel stuff, but I couldn't really move or react when this happened. This was always caused by some form of trauma.
                  Instead of "smelling salts" ---- "tasting salts"?
                  The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                    Instead of "smelling salts" ---- "tasting salts"?
                    Basically.

Comment

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
                      Basically.

A) WHO KNEW?!?!?!
                      2) How did you discover that?

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                        A) WHO KNEW?!?!?!
                        IIRC one of my previous neurologists. He was basically the best of the best when it comes to treating RSD.

2) How did you discover that?
                        See above. Given he's retired, and has alzheimer's, I don't think I will be figuring out the answer any time soon.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                        Working...
                        X