Announcement

Collapse

Economics 301 Guidelines

This is the area where economic theories and trends are discussed.

Balance your checkbook before participating.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Rebates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rebates

I'm a real Scotsman when it comes to shopping.

I particularly pay attention to rebates.

Often, the seller won't mention a rebate if you're already buying the product. The rebate is a tool to get you over the line to purchase something you're considering. So if I even suspect there might be a rebate, I ask.

Next, you have to DO SOMETHING with the rebate. I have no idea what the numbers are, but the seller (or manufacturer) is playing somewhat of a gamble here... a certain percentage of rebate customers will never actually apply for the rebate. Some will fill out the form incorrectly, or miss the deadline. The seller/manufacturer counts on that.

So, I go online and do a search, and often find legitimate rebates (careful - there are a lot of scams out there) and apply online immediately, before I have an opportunity to lose the receipt.

The last couple times I bought paint at Lowes, a rebate form was printed when the cash register receipt was printed, and I applied for the rebate (3 cans at $15 each) online.

Special note - many store receipts are printed on thermal image paper which fades and becomes unreadable - and if these receipts experience the hot sun for a bit, they turn blue and are useless.

How much money have you LOST in not timely claiming your rebate?

(Rebates don't cause me to buy something I wouldn't otherwise buy unless the rebate is SUBSTANTIAL and I can actually use the product)

Recently, I received TWO $70 gift cards from Michelin because I bought tires for my vehicle and my wife's. This was after I had already negotiated a lower price AND an allowance for remaining tread on the tires I was replacing.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

I do the same thing. And I never lose a receipt, because they get filed away and kept for at least a year, longer, depending on the item.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
      I do the same thing. And I never lose a receipt, because they get filed away and kept for at least a year, longer, depending on the item.
      If it's something I suspect I may need to return or warranty, I scan a copy to my computer first, because the durn things fade so much.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        If it's something I suspect I may need to return or warranty, I scan a copy to my computer first, because the durn things fade so much.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

I have had bad luck with rebates. I file for them, but never get them. Or I get those stupid prepaid visa cards that you can never spend the exact amount and end up losing a few cents here and there.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
            I have had bad luck with rebates. I file for them, but never get them.
            They've been sending them to me.

Or I get those stupid prepaid visa cards that you can never spend the exact amount and end up losing a few cents here and there.
            Hmmmm..... just buy something that costs more than the prepaid VISA card, and ask the cashier to do "two forms of payment". Even some of the self-serve checkouts allow that. I always tell them "use whatever's on this card, then I'll pay for the rest with cash" or whatever.

Comment

I had a bad experience with HP years ago. They required that I send the original receipt, which I did after copying everything. They lost it and asked me for it. Needless to say, I didn't get the money. The fifty they kept has cost over a thousand since. I won't touch an HP now.
              "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Sparky, just tell the cashier how much is on the card and they can process it to use up the amount as long as the order is greater than the amount. Some cards will give us the balance. SparkyA
                "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

I'm a real Scotsman when it comes to shopping.

I particularly pay attention to rebates.

Often, the seller won't mention a rebate if you're already buying the product. The rebate is a tool to get you over the line to purchase something you're considering. So if I even suspect there might be a rebate, I ask.

Next, you have to DO SOMETHING with the rebate. I have no idea what the numbers are, but the seller (or manufacturer) is playing somewhat of a gamble here... a certain percentage of rebate customers will never actually apply for the rebate. Some will fill out the form incorrectly, or miss the deadline. The seller/manufacturer counts on that.

So, I go online and do a search, and often find legitimate rebates (careful - there are a lot of scams out there) and apply online immediately, before I have an opportunity to lose the receipt.

The last couple times I bought paint at Lowes, a rebate form was printed when the cash register receipt was printed, and I applied for the rebate (3 cans at $15 each) online.

Special note - many store receipts are printed on thermal image paper which fades and becomes unreadable - and if these receipts experience the hot sun for a bit, they turn blue and are useless.

How much money have you LOST in not timely claiming your rebate?

(Rebates don't cause me to buy something I wouldn't otherwise buy unless the rebate is SUBSTANTIAL and I can actually use the product)

Recently, I received TWO $70 gift cards from Michelin because I bought tires for my vehicle and my wife's. This was after I had already negotiated a lower price AND an allowance for remaining tread on the tires I was replacing.
                  I loathe rebates. With a passion. Too many times I never got them and when I complained to the store they say it isn't their responsibility. When I've complained to the manufacturer they say that it isn't their fault because some third party company is in charge of it.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                  "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                  "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                    I loathe rebates. With a passion. Too many times I never got them and when I complained to the store they say it isn't their responsibility. When I've complained to the manufacturer they say that it isn't their fault because some third party company is in charge of it.
                    yup. I would much rather just have a discount on the price. Let the store redeem the coupon or whatever. Just charge me less.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                      yup. I would much rather just have a discount on the price. Let the store redeem the coupon or whatever. Just charge me less.

I never think of the rebate when considering the price, basically assuming that I'll never get it. The only exception is so-called "in store rebates" where the rebate is figured into the cost when you're buying it. I just don't know why they can't call it a sale though.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I guess I'm getting your rebates, too! I never have a problem getting rebates. But, yeah, the "instant rebates" in store are better.

Comment

I guess I'm getting your rebates, too! I never have a problem getting rebates. But, yeah, the "instant rebates" in store are better.
                          I would say that I never get a bit over a quarter of them. The first one was a $50 rebate for a $200 monitor. The second was for some fog lights for my car.

Comment

I would say that I never get a bit over a quarter of them. The first one was a $50 rebate for a $200 monitor. The second was for some fog lights for my car.
                            I suspect they look for any reason to disqualify, but I carefully fill out the form, and make sure I send it in by the required deadline. I love the online ones, though, because you don't even have to mail anything in, and you get an email confirmation that you sent it in.

Comment

Maybe they should call them "rebaits" instead since they are obviously bait used to sucker you into paying full price for something, and they keep doing it over and over.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X