Depressed.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Depressed.

People sometimes ask me what depression is like. I say... imagine the way you feel when you wake up on a monday, and you have trouble getting out of bed. That's how depressions starts out, that feeling, all the time, and then it gets worse and worse...

Anticipating questions and advice: I'm on meds right now, and yes I've talked to people and I can reach out to them.

Some people, obnoxious, proud and clueless, will mention that they have periods where they're sad as well. Yeah... sad... but you've got a wife, three kids and a job, and you manage to take care of all them. The day when getting into a shower, and taking the bus downtown are actions that seem almost impossible to you, even though your wife is pushing you along, then you can talk about having experienced something like depression. But maybe that was just a bad day. If it was depression it would be like that all week. And then it gets worse.

I pray to God about it, and join my suffering to Christ's. Just because I'm sad it does not mean I can't rejoice in God. But its given me a new perspective on joy. True joy is not a feeling, its a virtue, the feeling can accompany the virtue, but the virtue can exist without the feeling. I praise God in the morning for His goodness, and in the evening. If anyone thinks praise is incompatible with unhappiness, read the saints, or read the psalms from the Bible. And if you believe otherwise, you're in need of learning, a dose of humility, or perhaps you might need to become depressed as well to learn this lesson. I knew it before I got depressed, and its given me comfort knowing this.

You know what the worst thing about depression is? You can't cure it. It can disappear over a long period of time, or it can get worse.

And if you've ever had depression more than once, you will likely have another depression again, and again for the rest of your life.

I can't say I'm happy being depressed. (Joke) However I do think this is God's will for me. I've prayed to be cured of it, many times, and I continue to do so, but I think its His will that I carry this cross. Therefore I can be at peace with it, and it will get better eventually. It already has in many ways. But I'm far from being myself again. I'm me... six months out of the year. The rest of the time I'm cranky, aggressive (side-effects of depression... you don't have any surpluss so your fuse is short, everything becomes annoying as well and nothing feels good and really satisfying...)

Did I mention insomnia? Yay.

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
      Anticipating questions and advice: I'm on meds right now, and yes I've talked to people and I can reach out to them.
      Do the meds help? I had a friend with a similar problem, he got into running - some days it was all he could do to put one foot in front of another, but eventually he got much better. Though everyone is different.

http://adventure.howstuffworks.com/o...depression.htm
      Last edited by seer; 08-18-2015, 07:27 AM.
      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

3 For I delivered to you as of first importance what I also received: that Christ died for our sins in accordance with the Scriptures, 4 that he was buried, that he was raised on the third day in accordance with the Scriptures --1 Corinthians 15:3-4 (borrowed with gratitude from 37818's sig)

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
          Do the meds help?
          Some, I stopped hurting myself. But they make you tired, and make you sleep long, you gain weight as they heavily impact your appetite, cause ringing in the ears, nightmares (and occasionally very psychedelic good dreams), and other weird effects. Not fun, but they do help. Its just not something you'd want to take without absolutely needing to.

Thankfully I've gotten an internship and they allow me to arrive at 9am and work later. Software companies are usually very flexible. Its a good step, and things have lately improved quite a bit more, but after a depression you're still kinda beat. Doctors now know that depression causes brain damage that can take a while to heal, so my concentration, my patience and my energy is still very low and probably will be for a while.

C.S Lewis wrote a lot about suffering in The Problem of Pain, when it came to mental illnesses those gave him pause, especially melancholy. All other things he attempted a defense of, but here about all he had to say was '...even here there are some heroic cases.'

May God bless me and the Holy Virgin Mary pray for me.

Comment

3 For I delivered to you as of first importance what I also received: that Christ died for our sins in accordance with the Scriptures, 4 that he was buried, that he was raised on the third day in accordance with the Scriptures --1 Corinthians 15:3-4 (borrowed with gratitude from 37818's sig)

Comment

I've talked to people and I can reach out to them.
              I know you're dealing with it, but I just wanted to say

Keep reaching out and talking to people. if you are battling, keep reaching out until someone gets it.
              Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
              1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
              -Ben Witherington III

Comment

Originally posted by Raphael View Post
                I know you're dealing with it, but I just wanted to say
                I hate being with most people right now. They usually say enormously dumb things, and they annoy me to no end. I'm sorry, its just not fun to be with anyone right now. I have a very narrow circuit of friends I visit, but I've put any kind of Christian fellowshipping aside from a few, at an arms length. It doesn't help, it just makes me feel even more tired, depressed and drains me of energy I don't have, which makes me on edge and borderline rage like.

If you are battling, keep reaching out until someone gets it.
                Most people are dense and think I'm just being sad, and that they've gone through something similar.

Comment

Not all, not going to end my post on a downer. Things are looking up. I'm a bit of an insomniac, but I'm doing well and getting slowly back into fighting shape. Its a long process, which is many times slower than I want it to be. And I do enjoy some social interaction. Especially with you guys. I just need to be realistic with you that being with a lot of people in Christian fellowshipping is very, very stressfull for me and I leave feeling drained, empty, tired and angry so I don't think its something God wants for me.

Its okay to admit that you're in a weak state and you need peace and calm, and a lot of time to heal in a slow way. Not to engage in prayers with people, who'll then look to you to appear to be doing better as a response to those prayers.

I welcome prayers, but I also recognise the value in carrying a heavy cross.

Comment

I hate being with most people right now. They usually say enormously dumb things, and they annoy me to no end. I'm sorry, its just not fun to be with anyone right now. I have a very narrow circuit of friends I visit, but I've put any kind of Christian fellowshipping aside from a few, at an arms length. It doesn't help, it just makes me feel even more tired, depressed and drains me of energy I don't have, which makes me on edge and borderline rage like.

Most people are dense and think I'm just being sad, and that they've gone through something similar.
                    Here in New Zealand Sir John Kirwin (former All Blacks rugby player) uses the experiences he had from going through depression to try and help others going through it (he was knighted last year for his efforts)

http://depression.org.nz/

He also has some very good tools for those who are around others dealing with depression. I do wish we would all pay more attention to them .

But the reason I say keep reaching out until someone gets it, is because before my sister-in-law committed suicide last year, she and my brother kept quiet about her depression, the rest of us just thought she was battling with adapting to having gotten married and moving to NZ at the same time (and dealing with the fact the my brother still had not dealt with the death of his first wife two year before).

We didn't know she was clinically depressed, and had we known we would not have stepped back and given her and my brother space, but made sure that she had someone with her.
                    Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
                    1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
                    -Ben Witherington III

Comment

Some, I stopped hurting myself. But they make you tired, and make you sleep long, you gain weight as they heavily impact your appetite, cause ringing in the ears, nightmares (and occasionally very psychedelic good dreams), and other weird effects. Not fun, but they do help. Its just not something you'd want to take without absolutely needing to.

Thankfully I've gotten an internship and they allow me to arrive at 9am and work later. Software companies are usually very flexible. Its a good step, and things have lately improved quite a bit more, but after a depression you're still kinda beat. Doctors now know that depression causes brain damage that can take a while to heal, so my concentration, my patience and my energy is still very low and probably will be for a while.

C.S Lewis wrote a lot about suffering in The Problem of Pain, when it came to mental illnesses those gave him pause, especially melancholy. All other things he attempted a defense of, but here about all he had to say was '...even here there are some heroic cases.'

May God bless me and the Holy Virgin Mary pray for me.
                      I know this is going to sound simplistic, but have you tried a long term rigorous exercise program? When I was a teenager I was very depressed. I could barely get out of bead, I used to sleep to one o'clock most every day. And there was a darkness, or thickness around my mind - nothing was desirable. I thought of suicide more than once. Then at eighteen I enlisted in the Marine Corps - I'm pretty sure that it was the intense exercise that helped to clear my mind. And at sixty two I have managed to maintain a fairly good hiking and weightlifting routine. And the fact that I came to Christ at thirty seven all seemed to help.

In any case God bless Brother...
                      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

I'm improving.

I've started an internship with Prevas A/S maintaining their test framework circuit boards running minimalistic versions of linux. Its nice to have something to wake up to, coworkers to meet, and a good boss who gives positive feedback. Still pretty low on energy, but I'm just cutting back from engaging so much in other activities. This cuts into church time and devotionals, but I keep at those things in small ways during the day.

So, not 100%... more 70% back, but its lightening up.

Deo Gratias.

Comment

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

I'm improving.

I've started an internship with Prevas A/S maintaining their test framework circuit boards running minimalistic versions of linux. Its nice to have something to wake up to, coworkers to meet, and a good boss who gives positive feedback. Still pretty low on energy, but I'm just cutting back from engaging so much in other activities. This cuts into church time and devotionals, but I keep at those things in small ways during the day.

So, not 100%... more 70% back, but its lightening up.

Deo Gratias.

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                              Huh?

Comment