Announcement

Collapse

Deeper Waters Forum Guidelines

Notice – The ministries featured in this section of TheologyWeb are guests of this site and in some cases not bargaining for the rough and tumble world of debate forums, though sometimes they are. Additionally, this area is frequented and highlighted for guests who also very often are not acclimated to debate fora. As such, the rules of conduct here will be more strict than in the general forum. This will be something within the discretion of the Moderators and the Ministry Representative, but we simply ask that you conduct yourselves in a manner considerate of the fact that these ministries are our invited guests. You can always feel free to start a related thread in general forum without such extra restrictions. Thank you.

Deeper Waters is founded on the belief that the Christian community has long been in the shallow end of Christianity while there are treasures of the deep waiting to be discovered. Too many in the shallow end are not prepared when they go out beyond those waters and are quickly devoured by sharks. We wish to aid Christians to equip them to navigate the deeper waters of the ocean of truth and come up with treasure in the end.

We also wish to give special aid to those often neglected, that is, the disabled community. This is especially so since our founders are both on the autism spectrum and have a special desire to reach those on that spectrum. While they are a special emphasis, we seek to help others with any disability realize that God can use them and that they are as the Psalmist says, fearfully and wonderfully made.

General TheologyWeb forum rules: here.
See more
See less

Only God Can Judge Me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Only God Can Judge Me

Does this saying give you security or should it give you fear?

The link can be found here.

The text is as follows:

What are you really saying when you say only God can judge you? Let's plunge into the Deeper Waters and find out.

While at the mall Sunday, I happened to see someone wearing a t-shirt with a slogan I've seen lately that says "Only God can judge me." I often wonder when I see this what exactly these people are thinking who claim something like this. I can think of a number of claims possibly being made.

The first is a claim to their fellow man. That is the claim that they cannot be judged by their fellow man. Now if they meant ultimate judgment, I would agree. No other man can make the final say as to your standing before God. They can give the opinion, but they do not have the final say. Yet there are many ways your fellow man can in fact judge you and ironically, when you say only God can judge me, you are making a judgment on your fellow man that they cannot judge you. Now do you mean to say that you alone are the only one that can only be judged by God? That's quite a strong statement, but it would at least be consistent, but if you are making a statement that all of us can only be judged by God, then you are guilty of being inconsistent since you are judging everyone else by saying that they cannot judge you.

But let's go to what's most likely being said. It's being said that only God has that ultimate say so. My concern with that is that do people really stop to think about what they're saying? If you say only God can judge you, that should be a thought that's frightening. Now of course, I realize we Christians are covered by the blood of Christ and we will be pronounced redeemed and justified, but it is still frightening. I was doing some morning reading of Scripture this morning and came across this in Job 13.

9 Would it turn out well if he examined you?
    Could you deceive him as you might deceive a mortal?
    10 He would surely call you to account
    if you secretly showed partiality.
    11 Would not his splendor terrify you?
    Would not the dread of him fall on you?
    Many of us I think do not take the judgment of God seriously. We will all stand before Him. There will be no hiding of anything. There will be no secrets. There will be no partiality or bribes. It will truly be justice. As Hebrews 10:31 tells us, it is a dreadful thing to fall into the hands of the living God. Even if we're Christians, there will be revelations and we will stand before God and give an account. Husbands will give an account for how they've raised their families. Wives will give an account of how they've treated their husbands. All of us will have to explain even the secret things that have gone on that we've hidden in our heart of hearts.

So you think only God can judge you? Ultimately, only He can.

I hope you'll be living accordingly.

In Christ,
    Nick Peters

Practically speaking, this phrase seems to be used to say "Let me sin in peace".
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

I suspect that people who make that claim are really saying' "Who are you to say that my life style is not right." They are actually disregarding the judgement of God entirely.
      Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
        Practically speaking, this phrase seems to be used to say "Let me sin in peace".
        This is exactly what it meant in my experience. Thinking about still makes me , and .

Comment

The phrase is most commonly associated with rapper Tupac Shakur (who was definitely not a Christian), if that tells you anything.
          "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

I think most people use it to mean "let me sin in peace, and not remind me of what the Bible says about it." However it does have a dual meaning, such as when Christians encounter others who believe that everything not in the bible is sin, It has its place there i.e I do say "Let God be the judge." Or if someone bothers to tell me that my divorce was wrong no matter what the circumstance, I remind them that God is the judge of that. While only God can judge the heart and sometimes ony God knows the circumstances (in which case he is the final authority), it does not mean that we as Christians cannot judge an action according to scriptural definitions.
            A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
            George Bernard Shaw

Comment

I heard a sermon or talka while back (I think it may have been Todd White) and his opinion on the attitude "only God can judge me" is you don't want to be in a place where only God can judge you because you won't like His Judgement.
              Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
              1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
              -Ben Witherington III

Comment

Originally posted by Raphael View Post
                I heard a sermon or talka while back (I think it may have been Todd White) and his opinion on the attitude "only God can judge me" is you don't want to be in a place where only God can judge you because you won't like His Judgement.
                Do you believe in Todd White?

Comment