Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

If you thought the Planned Parenthood scandal couldn't get worse - it just did.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Roy View Post
    No, he didn't. He said its genetic code was that of a human. The genetic code of strawberries, lobsters and giraffes is that of a human and vice versa.So you don't know what a genetic code is either.

Roy
    I see you suffer from Dunning-Kruger. Either that or you are just trying to obfuscate the matter by picking nits. You apparently don't even read what you write.

As used, "genetic code" refers to the totality of the DNA of a human. That is clear to anyone who read the post. But you want to try to pick it apart on a technicality and you can't even get that right. Have you ever even studied biology?

Comment

Wow are you deluded. You can't show that someone is wrong by making unsupported assertions and then dodging questions.
      Projecting again?

Comment

You still don't know what a genetic code is, do you?

Hint: The term you should be using is "genome"
        He was speaking in colloquial terms. Everyone knew what he meant, even you. Yet you wanted to derail that topic and nitpick.

Comment

Yes. Specifically, it's the correspondences that determine which amino-acid gets added to a protein chain for which RNA triplet. E.g. {AGA, AGG} -> Arginine.
          Iy seeee. And the code that determines all this is identical and functions in precisely the same way and produces the exact same results in humans, penguins, and hedgehogs?
          1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
          ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
          Scripture before Tradition:
          but that won't prevent others from
          taking it upon themselves to deprive you
          of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
            I see you suffer from Dunning-Kruger. Either that or you are just trying to obfuscate the matter by picking nits. You apparently don't even read what you write.

As used, "genetic code" refers to the totality of the DNA of a human. That is clear to anyone who read the post. But you want to try to pick it apart on a technicality and you can't even get that right. Have you ever even studied biology?
            I've studied genetics. You obviously haven't, even superficially, or you'd know that "genetic code" not only has a specific technical meaning at odds with how it was used here, but that technical meaning is so common in genetics that misusing it is like confusing Jesus with Judas.
            Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
            MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

• Originally posted by tabibito View Post
              Iy seeee. And the code that determines all this is identical and functions in precisely the same way and produces the exact same results in humans, penguins, and hedgehogs?
              Yes. Genetic code.
              Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

So you think a human life is not worth any more than an animal's life? Does that mean that I can go around killing anyone I want and call it "hunting?"

Also if a human life is worth the same as an animal's, then why are you OK with killing humans but not animals (such as whales?) - shouldn't you be at least as much against killing humans as you are against killing animals?
                He wants to be a vegetarian, so what he is going to do is the opposite. He is going to refuse to kill animals. However on the other hand when he sees a homeless animal on the street then he will give a fiver so it can go and grab itself a coffee from the coffee shop.

Comment

Strangely, that article doesn't seem to mention penguins or hedgehogs.

I've studied genetics. You obviously haven't, even superficially, or you'd know that "genetic code" not only has a specific technical meaning at odds with how it was used here, but that technical meaning is so common in genetics that misusing it is like confusing Jesus with Judas.
                  While a word may be understood to have a given meaning in-group, outside of that group it will have a different, though often associated meaning. In-group words and phrases are termed jargon.
                  Last edited by tabibito; 08-27-2015, 11:06 AM.
                  1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                  ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Yay! you can read wikipedia. I guess that is what you meant by "studying genetics"

It was clear to everyone what Tabibito meant, even if he was not technically right. He was speaking in colloquial terms and you know it.

Comment

Yay! you can read wikipedia. I guess that is what you meant by "studying genetics"
                      Having perused the article in question - I'm not sure that he can.
                      Last edited by tabibito; 08-27-2015, 11:36 AM.
                      ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

• Originally posted by Starlight View Post
                        No. The adult human's high-level cognitive capabilities currently exist, they're just not currently in use.
                        I don't see a difference between capability and capacity. They both refer to power to accomplish something in the future.
                        The capacity/capability currently exists for both the fetus and the adult in a temporary coma. If you want to talk about current use, the human fetus, if anything, is more actively currently using that capacity by actively working toward the accomplishment.

That seems a bit like you claiming it would be fine to steal a car if the owner's not currently using it... of course it isn't, and the owner still owns it regardless of whether they are currently using it.
                        On the contrary, I'm affirming that humans have a right to their means/capacities, even if they are not currently using them. Even if they are not able to use them right now. If anything, it is you who is being inconsistent on this point.

Comment

So you don't know what the genetic code is either.
                          If "genetic code" is a term of art that Tabibito used incorrectly, then why didn't you just point out the error in terminology usage and interpret Tabibito's post according to what you knew Tabibito to have actually intended to say?

Comment

He was speaking in colloquial terms and you know it.
                            I don't know it. His subsequent posts suggest he was trying to use technical terminology and failed. Why else would he have written this?
                            Last edited by Roy; 08-27-2015, 05:51 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Joel View Post
                              If "genetic code" is a term of art that Tabibito used incorrectly, then why didn't you just point out the error in terminology usage ...
                              In retrospect that might have led to less acrimony, though I'm not convinced the outcome would have been any different.

Comment

WRONG.

The genetic code is the set of rules by which information encoded within genetic material (DNA or mRNA sequences) is translated into proteins by living cells. It is the correspondence between nucleotide triplets and amino-acids. Humans have two slightly different ones, one for nuclear DNA and one for mitochondrial DNA. Both are shared with penguins and porcupines, among others.

You are wrong. Will you admit that, dig deeper, or run away?
                                I know who wrote the genetic code. Very smart...

Comment