Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Baptizing a Felon

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)

Baptizing a Felon

He was a mean man, full of hate. He was abusive to his wife, and in a drunken rage, attacked her with a knife. When the police showed up, he threatened them, and subsequently went to jail. That was 13 years ago.

Earlier this year he accepted Christ as his Savior. Not to make his "get out of jail" chances better - because he already had a "release date".

He began visiting our Church on Sunday Mornings, and last Sunday he put a note in the offering plate "I want to be baptized - I want to be accountable".

This week, we went to lunch, and he told me his story. In prison, he knew he was lost, and needed Jesus, and knelt by his cold steel bed, asking Christ to forgive him and save him.

He insisted that he wants the Church to know that he has been in prison, that his life is changed, and that he wants to be accountable to the men of our Church, to be discipled, and to learn how to lead men to Christ.

Upon his public profession of Christ as Lord, he will be baptized this Sunday ... "buried in his sins, raised again to newness of life in Christ Jesus".

Please pray for Brian.
    Every problem is the result of a previous solution.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)

Brian: "buried in his sins, raised again to newness of life in Christ Jesus". Amen.

Theologyweb's Official Grandfather
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    You got it.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    That he makes his past known unto all is definitely a good indicator of commitment towards the Christ and His people. To display one's past transgressions on to all is hands down one of the hardest things to confess. Here's to hoping that he walk the noble walk.

Faith
    Heathen
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    While judgment and justice begin at the house of God, God’s mercy always overrides his justice. We pray for both Brian, your elders and congregation as they cooperate with God in bringing redemption into broken lives.

Must...have...caffeine One Bad Pig's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio

I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    He was a lot bigger than I realized!

He's about 6'2", and probably close to 300 lbs.

ANYWAY, Baptism went great, and members of his family attended. Younger brother admitted a need to "get back in Church", and Dad said he was very proud, that he's seen major changes in Brian's attitude and outlook.
    Every problem is the result of a previous solution.

Must...have...caffeine One Bad Pig's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio

I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    He was a lot bigger than I realized!

He's about 6'2", and probably close to 300 lbs.

ANYWAY, Baptism went great, and members of his family attended. Younger brother admitted a need to "get back in Church", and Dad said he was very proud, that he's seen major changes in Brian's attitude and outlook.
    Then he's just a bit bigger than I am.

ETA: Like OBP,