Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Death

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by firstfloor View Post

“... there are some standing here, which shall not taste death, till they see the Son of Man coming in his kingdom.” –
    And 6 days following this statement some of them did. [8 days counting the day of that statement and the day of the transfiguration event.]
    . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
      The usual ridicule without substance.
      Air ball

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

1 Corinthians 1 says it all.

18For the word of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God.

19. For it is written,
        “I WILL DESTROY THE WISDOM OF THE WISE,
        AND THE CLEVERNESS OF THE CLEVER I WILL SET ASIDE.”

20 Where is the wise man? Where is the scribe? Where is the debater of this age? Has not God made foolish the wisdom of the world?

21. for since in the wisdom of God the world through its wisdom did not come to know God, God was well-pleased through the foolishness of the message preached to save those who believe.

22 For indeed Jews ask for signs and Greeks search for wisdom;

23 but we preach Christ crucified, to Jews a stumbling block and to Gentiles foolishness,

24 but to those who are the called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God and the wisdom of God.

25 Because the foolishness of God is wiser than men, and the weakness of God is stronger than men.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
          Air ball
          Was there a basket to aim at?
          Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
          MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
            1 Corinthians 1 says it all.

18For the word of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God.

19. For it is written,
            “I WILL DESTROY THE WISDOM OF THE WISE,
            AND THE CLEVERNESS OF THE CLEVER I WILL SET ASIDE.”

20 Where is the wise man? Where is the scribe? Where is the debater of this age? Has not God made foolish the wisdom of the world?

21. for since in the wisdom of God the world through its wisdom did not come to know God, God was well-pleased through the foolishness of the message preached to save those who believe.

22 For indeed Jews ask for signs and Greeks search for wisdom;

23 but we preach Christ crucified, to Jews a stumbling block and to Gentiles foolishness,

24 but to those who are the called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God and the wisdom of God.

25 Because the foolishness of God is wiser than men, and the weakness of God is stronger than men.
            In what way does it "say it all"? One, that's a pretty universal religious belief: that the irreligious don't understand the mystery of the divine. Two, that wisdom has failed to remove the fear of death in you as represented by your rejection of evolution. Evolution is about death just as much as it is about life.

Comment

Originally posted by Roy View Post
              Was there a basket to aim at?
              Never explain a joke.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by hamster View Post
                It's perfectly rational to be afraid that ultimately every pain, struggle, accomplishment, and ambition was as meaningless as a bird flying into a window.
                This implies that you don't fear death. You're a mammal and do fear death. There are only a few exceptions (like the suicidal and extremists Muslim) who don't.

And most people reject the notion that they should be satisfied that a few of their body's molecules will replicate on the planet before it's eventually absorbed by the sun.
                Most people aren't satisfied with death because they are mammals with a strong survival instinct. Our comprehension of death in context amplifies that fear in some people. Some more than others.

Oh, and you're only eating because you're afraid of starving to death
                Whuh?

Comment

Originally posted by whag View Post
                  In what way does it "say it all"? One, that's a pretty universal religious belief: that the irreligious don't understand the mystery of the divine. Two, that wisdom has failed to remove the fear of death in you as represented by your rejection of evolution. Evolution is about death just as much as it is about life.
                  Unbelievers think that believers are foolish to believe that Christ is the way of salvation. They don't understand anything about God because they are blinded by their unbelief. That was my point. Unbelievers think we are stupid and illogical and certainly unintelligent.

I do not fear death because of my rejection of evolution. I do not fear death at all. I believe that I will live eternally, as will you. But I know that I will live eternally in the presence of God, and you will not, unless you repent of your sin and come to Christ.

The lie from the pit of hell is that there is no eternity. Therefore this life is all there is, so you had better do whatever is right for you in order to make the most of it. Your worldview is narrow. This is it, folks, have fun, ignore eternal judgment, and pretend that death doesn't matter.

So at your funeral, everyone will talk about what a great guy you were and how you are surely an angel in heaven sitting on a cloud with a harp. Death is NOT the great equalizer, you do NOT just go into the ground and rot, you WILL face judgment and an eternity away form the presence of a just and holy God, unless you change before you die. You will be resurrected to an eternity of trying to pay for your sins in this life, and you will never be able to do that, so you will suffer eternally.

Oh, and none of us become angels with harps on clouds. That is another misconception about the afterlife.

I am not afraid of death. I might not care for the method that might bring about my death, but I know that I have nothing to fear eternally.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Unbelievers think that believers are foolish to believe that Christ is the way of salvation. They don't understand anything about God because they are blinded by their unbelief. That was my point. Unbelievers think we are stupid and illogical and certainly unintelligent.
                    I’ll address the rest later, but if you actually think this is the universal perception of Christians, you’re paranoid. I don’t think you’re any more a fool for your beliefs than a Mormon or Muslim. Got that? I think you’re foolish to not know you're a primate and that life evolves. That actual impedes your mission, which, if it’s so darn important to you, is rather foolish.

That has nothing to do with you beliefs about vicarious atonement (fill in any religious dogma here).

Comment

Originally posted by whag View Post
                      I’ll address the rest later, but if you actually think this is the universal perception of Christians, you’re paranoid.
                      Prove to me this isn't the universal perception of Christians by unbelievers. Because that is all that is portrayed on this board, with very few exceptions.

I don’t think you’re any more a fool for your beliefs than a Mormon or Muslim. Got that?
                      Looks to me that you think I am a fool. Got that?

I think you’re foolish to not know you're a primate and that life evolves. That actual impedes your mission, which, if it’s so darn important to you, is rather foolish.

That has nothing to do with you beliefs about vicarious atonement (fill in any religious dogma here).
                      I know that humans are classified as primates, and you have proven your thinking that I am foolish by stating that I don't know it. I don't believe that life evolves. And, the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing. You have just admitted it, and it has everything to do with my beliefs.

Comment

Prove to me this isn't the universal perception of Christians by unbelievers. Because that is all that is portrayed on this board, with very few exceptions.
                        Prove to me it’s the universal perception of skeptics without citing the limited cross section here.

Looks to me that you think I am a fool. Got that?
                        That’s your perception. I don’t think that your belief in vicarious redemption makes you a fool. Your stance is that all skeptics regard you as especially foolish because you believe Christian dogma, and that’s just not true.

I know that humans are classified as primates, and you have proven your thinking that I am foolish by stating that I don't know it. I don't believe that life evolves.
                        If you reject your mammalian lineage, your acknowledgement that you're a primate has little epistemelogical relevance. We know we’re mammals/primates from the genetic and morphological evidence.

And how can you reject that life evolves? THAT’S what makes you foolish, especially given your mission to be epistemologically astute. Souls won't just come to you for help. You have too woo them with smarts at least.

And, the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing. You have just admitted it, and it has everything to do with my beliefs.
                        The message of the cross is similar to other beliefs that I reject. I don’t think religious people are stupid. I think those who are certain that the earth is 6,000 years are. There is no excuse for that. You are a grown lady with mind capable of grasping complex topics.

And, yes, you DO fear death. You reject the truth of life’s development because there’s too much death in it that throws your beliefs out of whack. That’s why you’re seeking help in the NatSci thread.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose
                          I do not fear death at all.
                          Yes you do. All mammals fear death to some degree, except for people who commit suicide and some Muslim terrorists.

The lie from the pit of hell is that there is no eternity.
                          You used to say that evolution--which many of your brethren accept--was The Lie From The Pit of Hell. Pardon me while I laugh now.

you will suffer eternally.
                          You might suffer eternally as well for misleading so many about evolution being a lie from hell. God, if he exists, invented evolution.

Oh, and none of us become angels with harps on clouds. That is another misconception about the afterlife.
                          I didn't say heaven was like that. What does that have to do with anything?

I am not afraid of death.
                          Yes you are. You're a mammal. But even if you didn't, I'm not impressed since the 9/11 hijackers didn't fear it, either. Neither did my dad who committed suicide.

I might not care for the method that might bring about my death, but I know that I have nothing to fear eternally.
                          And I reiterate that if you mislead people about basic reality like evolution, you certainly should fear it. You have a responsibility to present the gospel as enticing not dysfunctionally tied to kindergarten teleology.

Comment

If death is the end of consciousness for the one who dies what is there to fear? Believing something that is not true will not make what is not true to be true.
                            . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

Originally posted by 37818 View Post
                              If death is the end of consciousness for the one who dies what is there to fear? Believing something that is not true will not make what is not true to be true.
                              Again, we are animals with the wild equipment of our ancestors. The survival drive didn't just disappear once we evolved into hominids. Antelopes run like hell away from danger and so will you.

Comment

Originally posted by whag
                                If you reject your mammalian lineage, your acknowledgement that you're a primate has little epistemelogical relevance. We know we’re mammals/primates from the genetic and morphological evidence.
                                I don't reject that I am a mammal. How stupid of you to suggest that I do.

And how can you reject that life evolves? THAT’S what makes you foolish, especially given your mission to be epistemologically astute. Souls won't just come to you for help. You have too woo them with smarts at least.
                                I do not woo anybody to the Lord. The Holy Spirit draws a person. So my rejection of evolution has nothing to do with any of this. Your insistence that it does is misplaced and proves that you think I am foolish for what I believe.

The message of the cross is similar to other beliefs that I reject. I don’t think religious people are stupid. I think those who are certain that the earth is 6,000 years are. There is no excuse for that. You are a grown lady with mind capable of grasping complex topics.

Yes, I am a grown lady with a mind capable of grasping complex topics. That is why I reject evolution. Thanks for calling me stupid. Although I think the earth might be 10,000 years old. And thanks for patronizing me, btw.

And, yes, you DO fear death. You reject the truth of life’s development because there’s too much death in it that throws your beliefs out of whack. That’s why you’re seeking help in the NatSci thread.
                                You are absolutely wrong. I do not fear death. I reject the THEORY of evolution because I believe scripture. There is death because of the fall of mankind.

And you have no clue why I posted in Nat. Sci. I was certainly not asking for help! I wanted to know why some theists believe in evolution and what they do with Adam and Eve. I happen to disagree with all of them, nothing they said changed my mind. So you might do well to not try to figure out my motives for doing anything.

As like all attempts to reason with you and the others who disbelieve, there is no reasoning with you. I stand by what I, and others have stated in this thread. We will all stand before a holy and just God one day, and you will have to give an accounting as to why you rejected Christ.

Good luck with that.

You used to say that evolution--which many of your brethren accept--was The Lie From The Pit of Hell. Pardon me while I laugh now.
                                There's more than one lie from hell, whag. There are lots of them. Evolution, all paths lead to God, death is the great equalizer, blah, blah, blah.
                                Last edited by mossrose; 08-23-2015, 03:38 PM.

Comment