Announcement

Collapse

Philosophy 201 Guidelines

Cogito ergo sum

Here in the Philosophy forum we will talk about all the "why" questions. We'll have conversations about the way in which philosophy and theology and religion interact with each other. Metaphysics, ontology, origins, truth? They're all fair game so jump right in and have some fun! But remember...play nice!

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Problems with Thomas Aquinas aguments for the existence of God

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Adrift View Post
    The later, but I don't think a course on, say, Natural Theology necessarily requires the defence of a particular faith or creed.

It's not really relevant (then again, I suppose this whole side topic isn't relevant). I suspect I'm not alone in my differing experience though.
    I'm sure something like that is offered in philosophy departments and I think some secular universities may even offer theology or religious studies courses, but I would not ordinarily associate these with Apologetics. I did not mean to imply that your experience was unique. Feel free to PM me if you'd like to discuss further.
    βλέπομεν γὰρ ἄρτι δι᾿ ἐσόπτρου ἐν αἰνίγματι, τότε δὲ πρόσωπον πρὸς πρόσωπον·
    ἄρτι γινώσκω ἐκ μέρους, τότε δὲ ἐπιγνώσομαι καθὼς καὶ ἐπεγνώσθην.

אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

Comment

• Originally posted by robrecht View Post
      See in this thread, starting with Post #79 and going through #169:

http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/sh...l=1#post120986

Shuny seemed to be criticizing my own personal justification as somehow insufficient and I tried but failed get an explanation of why his faith might be somehow better grounded. I did not personally want to agree to always obey the Bahai Universal House of Judgement (or the local or national assembly) so I think I dropped out of the conversation after Post #169.
      Sort of way off topic, but . . .

It is correctly called the House of Justice. You sure do have a bitter bone to pick with he Baha'i Faith. Despite you veneer of politeness and respect Mr. Hyde picks out on occasion.
      Last edited by shunyadragon; 08-31-2015, 06:20 PM.
      Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
      Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
      But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

• Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
        Sort of way off topic, but . . .

It is correctly called the House of Justice. You sure do have a bitter bone to pick with he Baha'i Faith. Despite you veneer of politeness and respect Mr. Hyde picks out on occasion.
        I'm sorry, Shuny. I really meant no disrespect at all. I have nothing but the very highest respect for the Baha'i faith/philosophy, as I've assured you many times. I recall wondering if the name the 'House of Justice' in the Baha'i tradition might ultimately be traced back to the well known Jewish institution, the Bet Din (בית דין), which is usually translated as the House of Judgment, a name which carries no negative connotation whatsoever and might also be translated as the House of Justice. It is essentially the same word in Hebrew. The House of Judgement in Jerusalem also held authority in certain matters for all Jews, even those in the diaspora. I presume the Baha'i Universal House of Justice is also located in Jerusalem? I would not be surprised if the underlying Arabic is the same. That etymological musing must have stuck in my head. At any rate, I meant no disrespect whatsoever, and I am sorry if I offended you.
        βλέπομεν γὰρ ἄρτι δι᾿ ἐσόπτρου ἐν αἰνίγματι, τότε δὲ πρόσωπον πρὸς πρόσωπον·
        ἄρτι γινώσκω ἐκ μέρους, τότε δὲ ἐπιγνώσομαι καθὼς καὶ ἐπεγνώσθην.

אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

Comment