Announcement

Collapse

Deeper Waters Forum Guidelines

Notice – The ministries featured in this section of TheologyWeb are guests of this site and in some cases not bargaining for the rough and tumble world of debate forums, though sometimes they are. Additionally, this area is frequented and highlighted for guests who also very often are not acclimated to debate fora. As such, the rules of conduct here will be more strict than in the general forum. This will be something within the discretion of the Moderators and the Ministry Representative, but we simply ask that you conduct yourselves in a manner considerate of the fact that these ministries are our invited guests. You can always feel free to start a related thread in general forum without such extra restrictions. Thank you.

Deeper Waters is founded on the belief that the Christian community has long been in the shallow end of Christianity while there are treasures of the deep waiting to be discovered. Too many in the shallow end are not prepared when they go out beyond those waters and are quickly devoured by sharks. We wish to aid Christians to equip them to navigate the deeper waters of the ocean of truth and come up with treasure in the end.

We also wish to give special aid to those often neglected, that is, the disabled community. This is especially so since our founders are both on the autism spectrum and have a special desire to reach those on that spectrum. While they are a special emphasis, we seek to help others with any disability realize that God can use them and that they are as the Psalmist says, fearfully and wonderfully made.

General TheologyWeb forum rules: here.
See more
See less

On The Duggars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jaecp View Post
    ... growing up and living in one of those insanely anti-sex groups ...
    In what world where his family celebrates the fact that they have lots of kids and that they advocate lots of healthy sex between husband and wife does that translate into "anti-sex"

I appreciate you have your issues with the man, I appreciate you're loving the irony that this particular chap has been seriously busted for being a hypocrite (and then some) but in your gloating you're now talking nonsense.
    Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
    1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
    -Ben Witherington III

Comment

Originally posted by Jesse View Post
      So? You found someone that isn't living up to the standard they set for themselves. You think somehow this is a new phenomena? You must really be proud of yourself thinking you struck gold here. You not only don't see why it's tasteless, you also don't see how down right stupid it is. So you do know that Duggar is a bad apple no different from any other? And you are taking pleasure from his misdeeds just because you really are that low brow? Good to know.
      OK - Jaecp's attitude is deplorable - mine might be considered in the same light, though Schadenfreude isn't involved: just that I get a chuckle out of irony.

All the downplaying of the actions of a false brother - and it is downplaying - in the argument against Jaecp's attitude - amounts to what?
      Closing ranks in defence of a person who brings the name of Christ into disrepute by present and on-going action is approved by God?

When is standing in judgement over outsiders approved?
      When is a failure to call a so called brother to account approved?
      Last edited by tabibito; 08-30-2015, 09:37 PM.
      1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
      ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
      Scripture before Tradition:
      but that won't prevent others from
      taking it upon themselves to deprive you
      of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Originally posted by tabibito View Post
        OK - Jaecp's attitude is deplorable - mine might be considered in the same light, though Schadenfreude isn't involved: just that I get a chuckle out of irony.

All the downplaying of the actions of a false brother - and it is downplaying - in the argument against Jaecp's attitude - amounts to what?
        Closing ranks in defence of a person who brings the name of Christ into disrepute by present and on-going action is approved by God?

When is standing in judgement over outsiders approved?
        When is a failure to call a so called brother to account approved?
        Huh? Who in this thread has downplayed anything? I do not know of anyone here that has said what Duggar did wasn't horrible. Nor have I seen anyone here defend Duggar or his actions. If you are reading that into anyone's posts, you might want to slow down and re-read. I've pretty much said what I wanted to about this. Those that want to gloat about it, go ahead. But Duggar's actions don't make the gloating any less tactless.
        Last edited by Jesse; 08-30-2015, 11:46 PM.
        "Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ― C.S. Lewis, God in the Dock: Essays on Theology (Making of Modern Theology)

Comment

Huh? Who in this thread has downplayed anything? I do not know of anyone here that has said what Duggar did wasn't horrible. Nor have I seen anyone here defend Duggar or his actions. If you are reading that into anyone's posts, you might want to slow down and re-read. I've pretty much said what I wanted to about this. Those that want to gloat about it, go ahead. But Duggar's actions don't make the gloating any less tactless.
          It just seems some people are more upset about the reaction to it than about the sin itself (and, yes, there have been plenty of attempts to minimize his actions; not in this thread, but when Christians are just like "oh, he was just some TV star"). This is problematic in light of that I believe the biblical response to unrepentant sin is to abandon the person to the world (yes, including the vicious court of public opinion) until they are ready to return. Time will tell if his attempt at repentance is genuine. (I understand not just taking him at his word because his response to his first scandal several weeks ago does not appear to have been a full repentance at all.)
          "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Huh? Who in this thread has downplayed anything? I do not know of anyone here that has said what Duggar did wasn't horrible. Nor have I seen anyone here defend Duggar or his actions. If you are reading that into anyone's posts, you might want to slow down and re-read.
            "Ah - other people do it, no-one complains when it isn't a Christian" ... Not downplaying? OK

I've pretty much said what I wanted to about this. Those that want to gloat about it, go ahead. But Duggar's actions don't make the gloating any less tactless.
            Oh definitely, no doubt about it.
            1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
            ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
            Scripture before Tradition:
            but that won't prevent others from
            taking it upon themselves to deprive you
            of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Originally posted by tabibito View Post
              "Ah - other people do it, no-one complains when it isn't a Christian" ... Not downplaying? OK
              I must have missed those posts.

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
                If you raped somebody I'd be picking my jaw off the floor cuz I don't think you have it in you.
                I'm saving myself for someone special
                So? You found someone that isn't living up to the standard they set for themselves. You think somehow this is a new phenomena? You must really be proud of yourself thinking you struck gold here. You not only don't see why it's tasteless, you also don't see how down right stupid it is.

Indeed I do. And I will still be waiting for the time you post about the low standards of someone from your group with the amount of glee you have shown here. I won't hold my breath.
                Ehh?

This particular instance is really funny. Most of the rest of the conversation in this thread has been people like you being butthurt that I think it's funny.

Correct. And this is a point you seem to be wholly unaware of, or so I thought. So you do know that Duggar is a bad apple no different from any other? And you are taking pleasure from his misdeeds just because you really are that low brow? Good to know.
                Your conclusion don't follow your premises there, pally.

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
                Of course. I'm not certain why you keep repeating this as though it were news to everyone here. I mean, that IS the issue, isn't it? But as I've said before, this is something that those who hold to a moral standard ought to be more stirred up about than those who do not.
                People have a tendency to quote my replies to other people (it has already happened in this thread) and I want relevant information to be present. I realize that this can get, on occasion, repetative.

Exactly my point. As I've been saying, unbelievers do not necessarily hold to any moral standard other than whatever standards they independently hold. They are free to be as immoral as they please with far fewer consequences. They are ultimately not expected to be held accountable to anyone except themselves.
                Fewer consequences? From your perspective we're going to hell ;)

Still though, I don't think it's really fewer consequences. At least from a modern, American perspective, if an atheist did this the amount of slack given by the authorities would not have been nearly so... charming. Nor would this atheist have nearly as wide, nor powerful, group of people circling the wagons after being found out.

I believe there's a difference between an atheist and a liberal, but you're free to conflate the two.
                Very little, at least in the states.

Should I expect better?
                You should expect me to be me

Comment

Originally posted by Raphael View Post
                  In what world where his family celebrates the fact that they have lots of kids and that they advocate lots of healthy sex between husband and wife does that translate into "anti-sex"

I appreciate you have your issues with the man, I appreciate you're loving the irony that this particular chap has been seriously busted for being a hypocrite (and then some) but in your gloating you're now talking nonsense.
                  Because of all the other stuff associated with the Puritans that have gotten attached to fringe, conservative sects in the US?

Comment

Because of all the other stuff associated with the Puritans that have gotten attached to fringe, conservative sects in the US?
                    The Puritans weren't anti-sex, though. And neither are the Duggars. Making specific claims about specific people based only on generalizations doesn't work.

The only Christian group within the time of, say, American history I can think of that really was anti-sex is the Shakers.
                    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                      The Puritans weren't anti-sex, though. And neither are the Duggars. Making specific claims about specific people based only on generalizations doesn't work.

The only Christian group within the time of, say, American history I can think of that really was anti-sex is the Shakers.
                      Would yall prefer I use a different word to describe the all the weirdly negative stuff relating to sex in modern, conservative American Christianity? Anti-Sex or Sex-Negativity are the common names for it.

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                        It just seems some people are more upset about the reaction to it than about the sin itself (and, yes, there have been plenty of attempts to minimize his actions; not in this thread, but when Christians are just like "oh, he was just some TV star"). This is problematic in light of that I believe the biblical response to unrepentant sin is to abandon the person to the world (yes, including the vicious court of public opinion) until they are ready to return. Time will tell if his attempt at repentance is genuine. (I understand not just taking him at his word because his response to his first scandal several weeks ago does not appear to have been a full repentance at all.)
                        I don't care if he ends up in jail for a long time for his actions and has to face whatever consequences that happen as a result of his actions. He should have to face the music for whatever he did, from both his victims and from whatever criminal charges might end up against him. I just don't get the whole gloating thing and why anybody would feel the need to gloat about how somebody messed up. At least 5 little girls were molested and I don't see that as anything to gloat over anymore than the fact I see no reason to gloat over a gay man that murdered 2 people or a racist that murdered 9 people.
                        Last edited by lilpixieofterror; 08-31-2015, 06:32 PM.
                        "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                        GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Originally posted by Brave Sir Jaecp View Post
                          Would yall prefer I use a different word to describe the all the weirdly negative stuff relating to sex in modern, conservative American Christianity? Anti-Sex or Sex-Negativity are the common names for it.
                          How about they dare to disagree with your sexual ethos, so you try to demonize them for daring to disagree with you?
                          "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                          GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
                            How about they dare to disagree with your sexual ethos, so you try to demonize them for daring to disagree with you?
                            I demonize it for being stupid and contributing to bad outcomes because of all the repression. If you're going to keep sniping at me stop embarrassing yourself with these pathetic strawmen

Comment

Anti-promiscuity would be accurate. Pro-monogamy would be even more accurate.
                              Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                              sigpic
                              I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                                Anti-promiscuity would be accurate. Pro-monogamy would be even more accurate.
                                Labels labels labels,

The duggars, like many evangelicals, hold and advocate repressive views about sexuality and people that grow up in those environments can come out of it quite messed up.

Comment