Announcement

Collapse

Deeper Waters Forum Guidelines

Notice – The ministries featured in this section of TheologyWeb are guests of this site and in some cases not bargaining for the rough and tumble world of debate forums, though sometimes they are. Additionally, this area is frequented and highlighted for guests who also very often are not acclimated to debate fora. As such, the rules of conduct here will be more strict than in the general forum. This will be something within the discretion of the Moderators and the Ministry Representative, but we simply ask that you conduct yourselves in a manner considerate of the fact that these ministries are our invited guests. You can always feel free to start a related thread in general forum without such extra restrictions. Thank you.

Deeper Waters is founded on the belief that the Christian community has long been in the shallow end of Christianity while there are treasures of the deep waiting to be discovered. Too many in the shallow end are not prepared when they go out beyond those waters and are quickly devoured by sharks. We wish to aid Christians to equip them to navigate the deeper waters of the ocean of truth and come up with treasure in the end.

We also wish to give special aid to those often neglected, that is, the disabled community. This is especially so since our founders are both on the autism spectrum and have a special desire to reach those on that spectrum. While they are a special emphasis, we seek to help others with any disability realize that God can use them and that they are as the Psalmist says, fearfully and wonderfully made.

General TheologyWeb forum rules: here.
See more
See less

On The Duggars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jaecp
    Schadenfreude is simply schadenfreude. Nothing more. Nothing less.
    Yes, and? Schadenfreude is taking pleasure out of the misfortunes of others. How is that different from what I have been talking about?

I didn't say you said that I had to give compassion.

As for most humans, I give most humans compassion and I take a certain level of offense at your characterization here as me "taking enjoyment out of a bad situation" as, principally, it's something Dugger did to himself by having something of a consistent pattern of morally reprehensible, even disgusting, acts of selfishness that hurt other people while he moralized at society.
    You've been very vocal so far about how much enjoyment you are taking out of this situation. If you are so offended, then maybe you should stop. I'm not going to consider the level of offendedness by someone lacking that much self-awareness.

No, it's mostly the irony. Really. Also, his family members have little to nothing to do with this. These are his actions that brought him here. His deliciously ironic actions.
    No, it's your tribalism. It's the "Hey look everyone, we found another Christian who isn't pure and perfect. Can you believe they do these things? I'm so glad I'm not one of those."

And his family has everything to do with it. You think this only affects him? While your hooting it up, you seem to have forgotten the sad reality that there are victims here. Look dude, you can take any amount of enjoyment out of this sad situation that you please. It's just pretty tactless and tasteless to do so.

Though I will be looking for your post to take the same amount of enjoyment out of an atheist that is caught doing the same thing and how they are not living up to the standard. We will see how far your tribalism goes.
    "Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ― C.S. Lewis, God in the Dock: Essays on Theology (Making of Modern Theology)

Comment

Originally posted by Brave Sir Jaecp View Post
      Shouldn't that be "citation needed", though?

edit: And in what world am I the target audience for 19 kids and counting? I was vaguely aware of the guy because he had a full time job bashing gay people for the FRC. Although even if I had no idea who he was it's not like that stops the schadenfreude, as is the case whenever (yet another) hardcore, anti-gay member of the clergy here in the US gets caught with a male prostitute or otherwise contravening not only their personal ethical guidelines, but the ones they try to get other people to follow.
      And should people be gloating because a gay man snapped and murdered 2 people, in cold blood because it would 'prove' a preconceived biasness that gay men are mentally unstable? It would be rather distasteful to do that, wouldn't it? So do tell, why is it not distasteful to gloat about a man that molested 5 little girls? Where is the respect for them and what they went through and continue to? Face it, you are gloating and trying to feel better about yourself because you think you're better than a person you personally dislike, do to their beliefs. You show no respect for the people that had to go though what he did nor do you show a single ounce of humility either. Quite sad and rather distasteful, no matter where you come from. If it is distasteful to gloat about a mentally unstable gay man murdering 2 people; it is also distasteful to gloat about somebody that molested little girls too.
      Last edited by lilpixieofterror; 08-29-2015, 08:08 PM.
      "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
      GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Originally posted by Jesse View Post
        No, it's your tribalism. It's the "Hey look everyone, we found another Christian who isn't pure and perfect. Can you believe they do these things? I'm so glad I'm not one of those."

And his family has everything to do with it. You think this only affects him? While your hooting it up, you seem to have forgotten the sad reality that there are victims here. Look dude, you can take any amount of enjoyment out of this sad situation that you please. It's just pretty tactless and tasteless to do so.

Though I will be looking for your post to take the same amount of enjoyment out of an atheist that is caught doing the same thing and how they are not living up to the standard. We will see how far your tribalism goes.
        Just look at the recent TV reporters that were killed by a mentally unstable gay man. Would it be respectful to the two people he murdered and their families to gloat about that? Oh yeah, so why does it suddenly become right when applied to a child molester? He molested little girls and where is the respect for the little girls that were molested? None that I could see. Gloating about this scandal is about as low brow as one can go.
        "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
        GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
          Just look at the recent TV reporters that were killed by a mentally unstable gay man. Would it be respectful to the two people he murdered and their families to gloat about that? Oh yeah, so why does it suddenly become right when applied to a child molester? He molested little girls and where is the respect for the little girls that were molested? None that I could see. Gloating about this scandal is about as low brow as one can go.
          Oh but you see, he wasn't a Christian. It's okay to make light of such things so long as that person is part of a group you despise. You have it totally correct yet again. To any right thinking person, this would be a tasteless thing to be happy about regardless of who did it. But take a look at who's saying it. Those that are gloating somehow think that a Christian doing bad things is somehow new. News flash people, as long as Christians are human, they will do the same sinful things anyone else is capable of doing. It's pathetic that anyone even has to be reminded of that.
          "Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ― C.S. Lewis, God in the Dock: Essays on Theology (Making of Modern Theology)

Comment

Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
            Gloating about this scandal is about as low brow as one can go.
            Well I suspect Jaecp will find a way lower.
            Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Few will likely care, because unbelievers don't necessarily have a standard to live up to, other than whatever bar they desire to set for themselves. So, if an unbeliever does something terrible, people will just shrug and maybe say "well that guy's a bit of a creep" but whatever, it's not that big of deal. If Charlie Sheen was caught doing something sexually immoral, people would just go, "Oh, well that's Charlie Sheen for you".

Comment

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
                Few will likely care, because unbelievers don't necessarily have a standard to live up to, other than whatever bar they desire to set for themselves. So, if an unbeliever does something terrible, people will just shrug and maybe say "well that guy's a bit of a creep" but whatever, it's not that big of deal. If Charlie Sheen was caught doing something sexually immoral, people would just go, "Oh, well that's Charlie Sheen for you".
                Your right, of course. And that I think is also sad. I have heard atheists say they have some kind of standard, though I am not sure of what kind. Maybe those like Jaecp don't see a problem with their side having perverts and only concern themselves with the sins of the "others".

Comment

Oh but you see, he wasn't a Christian. It's okay to make light of such things so long as that person is part of a group you despise. You have it totally correct yet again. To any right thinking person, this would be a tasteless thing to be happy about regardless of who did it. But take a look at who's saying it. Those that are gloating somehow think that a Christian doing bad things is somehow new. News flash people, as long as Christians are human, they will do the same sinful things anyone else is capable of doing. It's pathetic that anyone even has to be reminded of that.
                  Except, as I've noted repeatedly, this is an extremely ironic instance of that of a man whose literally full time job was to moralize and whose moral transgressions are as huge as they are varied.

If you're going to keep complaining that I find this entire thing hilarious you'll need to actually account for why I actually find this hilarious and not act, as you have been, as though this is some hackneyed disgust towards Christians in general when I'm laughing at a very specific Christian for very specific reasons.

Comment

Your right, of course. And that I think is also sad. I have heard atheists say they have some kind of standard, though I am not sure of what kind. Maybe those like Jaecp don't see a problem with their side having perverts and only concern themselves with the sins of the "others".
                    There are bad people in every group. Whats your point?

Comment

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
                      The big thing here is that this is a guy whose full time job with the FRC was to moralize, one way or another.

It's entirely possible for people on my side to commit a deeply ironic series of crimes and indiscretions, but it won't happen as much for the obvious reason that Atheists aren't actively trying to entertain a massive level of control over peoples sexual lives and sexual identities. Liberals in general don't and this is great because growing up and living in one of those insanely anti-sex groups is liable to mess someone up something fierce.

It's not about a standard to live up to. I have every confidence that Josh Duggar is 95% compliant (or more!) with the standards of Christianity. The problem is that the part he did violate was ridiculously contravening his job and his life's mission. This is a guy who, by all accounts, was doing monstrous sexual stuff consistently over the course of, at least, a decade. Josh Duggar is in a "Republican Senator caught with a male prostitute after voting to keep gays from marrying" level of hilarious.

Like, seriously, people who have known me for awhile, have I ever taken this much joy in the failure of another human being? This is some prime schadenfreude. Tastes so good.

Comment

It's much the same as the meme that was floating around a while back, where a woman posted a photo of a lipstick stained glass, and publicly denounced her partner as a cheating womaniser. Lots of sympathy, lots of name calling - and the partner asking to talk to her, only to be told that he was a disgusting low life by one of the woman's friends, who then told him to .... depart.
                        His response ... "When I found a used condom in our room last week (and it wasn't mine), did I make a fuss and post a picture of it in public? NO."

The irony of a person pointing the finger and making a song and dance about morality, only to be caught doing the very thing he decries ...
                        it is difficult to not be amused and make comment.
                        1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                        ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
                        Scripture before Tradition:
                        but that won't prevent others from
                        taking it upon themselves to deprive you
                        of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Originally posted by Jaecp View Post
                          I'll make sure to give you the opportunity for schadenfraude when I rape, molest, or otherwise embarrass myself publicly or otherwise contravene my personal ethic. Low odds, but who knows?
                          If you raped somebody I'd be picking my jaw off the floor cuz I don't think you have it in you.
                          "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

It's entirely possible for people on my side to commit a deeply ironic series of crimes and indiscretions, but it won't happen as much for the obvious reason that Atheists aren't actively trying to entertain a massive level of control over peoples sexual lives and sexual identities. Liberals in general don't and this is great because growing up and living in one of those insanely anti-sex groups is liable to mess someone up something fierce.
                            I'm definitely enjoying this particular instance of unintended irony.
                            "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Except, as I've noted repeatedly, this is an extremely ironic instance of that of a man whose literally full time job was to moralize and whose moral transgressions are as huge as they are varied.

If you're going to keep complaining that I find this entire thing hilarious you'll need to actually account for why I actually find this hilarious and not act, as you have been, as though this is some hackneyed disgust towards Christians in general when I'm laughing at a very specific Christian for very specific reasons.
                              So? You found someone that isn't living up to the standard they set for themselves. You think somehow this is a new phenomena? You must really be proud of yourself thinking you struck gold here. You not only don't see why it's tasteless, you also don't see how down right stupid it is.

Indeed I do. And I will still be waiting for the time you post about the low standards of someone from your group with the amount of glee you have shown here. I won't hold my breath.

There are bad people in every group. Whats your point?
                              Correct. And this is a point you seem to be wholly unaware of, or so I thought. So you do know that Duggar is a bad apple no different from any other? And you are taking pleasure from his misdeeds just because you really are that low brow? Good to know.
                              Last edited by Jesse; 08-30-2015, 10:50 AM.

Comment

The big thing here is that this is a guy whose full time job with the FRC was to moralize, one way or another.
                                Of course. I'm not certain why you keep repeating this as though it were news to everyone here. I mean, that IS the issue, isn't it? But as I've said before, this is something that those who hold to a moral standard ought to be more stirred up about than those who do not.

It's entirely possible for people on my side to commit a deeply ironic series of crimes and indiscretions, but it won't happen as much for the obvious reason that Atheists aren't actively trying to entertain a massive level of control over peoples sexual lives and sexual identities.
                                Exactly my point. As I've been saying, unbelievers do not necessarily hold to any moral standard other than whatever standards they independently hold. They are free to be as immoral as they please with far fewer consequences. They are ultimately not expected to be held accountable to anyone except themselves.

Liberals in general don't and this is great because growing up and living in one of those insanely anti-sex groups is liable to mess someone up something fierce.
                                I believe there's a difference between an atheist and a liberal, but you're free to conflate the two.

It's not about a standard to live up to. I have every confidence that Josh Duggar is 95% compliant (or more!) with the standards of Christianity. The problem is that the part he did violate was ridiculously contravening his job and his life's mission. This is a guy who, by all accounts, was doing monstrous sexual stuff consistently over the course of, at least, a decade. Josh Duggar is in a "Republican Senator caught with a male prostitute after voting to keep gays from marrying" level of hilarious.
                                Your first sentence in this paragraph is in direct contradiction to everything you said after it.

Like, seriously, people who have known me for awhile, have I ever taken this much joy in the failure of another human being? This is some prime schadenfreude. Tastes so good.
                                Should I expect better?

Comment