Exploratory thread: A Brave New World

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exploratory thread: A Brave New World

It's been a few years, I'm ready to commit to a long term campaign. I'm most familiar with AD&D and several sets of rules are online. These are both good systems:

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/
    http://www.d20srd.org/

Any preference or does anyone have a better link? We will need a minimum of three players. I will use a point system so everyone has equivalent characters. Alignment restriction: you better be able to work with all sorts of beings. Skills: you must put at least two points into the Craft of your choice.

Richmont was a mighty city, rich and powerful...until their mages opened a portal to a world of unending orcs. The portal couldn't be closed. The streaming orcs were like a tidal wave. After years of fighting, Richmont is on the edge of destruction. Their lands have been taken, their armies destroyed, the orcs are besieging the city, and the outer walls are breached.

You are summoned into the sanctum of the most powerful wizard remaining in Richmont. There are around three dozen tired and dirty looking people there, both males and females. Without preamble he addresses the group "The signs are clear, this city is done. But our seed can go on. I've created a portal." There is a mutter from the group at that. He says "I know they are forbidden, but without it everything we ever were, everything we could ever be, will be destroyed. I gathered you all together as our best hope for our memory to continue. You will colonize and grow at a new world, far from here. I've already secured a location and sent any supplies that I could find through there." He mutters an incantation and a yellowish 10' x 10' ripple appears on the wall. "You must hurry. I will sever the portal after you. Only death remains here."

So, no paladins then? Is this going to be all humans (3 dozen people is a small gene pool even at that)?

I'm not familiar with the first link.
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
    sigpic
    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Paladins with their strict code of honor will make a difficult situation even worse. I can't picture them surviving in the environment that I'm envisioning. We can assume that they were among the first to go against the orcs.

Regarding the gene pool, I wasn't intending to play for 20 years of game time. Richmont was a human city, but many races lived there. Players can be any race that I approve.

The first link is Pathfinder.
      Last edited by Scorching Wizard; 08-24-2015, 02:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Scorching Wizard View Post
        Paladins with their strict code of honor will make a difficult situation even worse. I can't picture them in the environment that I'm envisioning. We can assume that they were among the first to go against the orcs.

Regarding the gene pool, I wasn't intending to play for 20 years of game time.
        I figured you were aiming for verisimilitude.
        The first link is Pathfinder.
        Ok.
        Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
        sigpic
        I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
          I figured you were aiming for verisimilitude.
          You have a point and biology is not my strong suit. So how many people are needed to avoid in-breeding?

Comment

You have a point and biology is not my strong suit. So how many people are needed to avoid in-breeding?
            It's been a while since biology; IIRC, about 300. A quick search yields estimates ranging from 50 (for small mammals) to an ideal lower limit of 10,000 (for starfaring civilizations).

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
              It's been a while since biology; IIRC, about 300. A quick search yields estimates ranging from 50 (for small mammals) to an ideal lower limit of 10,000 (for starfaring civilizations).
              Oy!!

I guess verisimilitude will just have to take a back seat to my vision. That many won't fit into my campaign. I'll increase the population, but not near that much. And I'll have some females already be pregnant.
              Last edited by Scorching Wizard; 08-24-2015, 04:08 PM.

Comment

Oy!!

I guess verisimilitude will just have to take a back seat to my vision. That many won't fit into my campaign. I'll increase the population, but not near that much. And I'll have some females already be pregnant.
                It's okay. Your vision certainly isn't an "ideal scenario" anyway.

sigpic

Comment

So you gonna gripe or do you wanna play?

Comment

Oh, I'll play. I was just looking for clarification.

sigpic

Comment

Um. If there are multiple races doesn't that kill any chance of a breeding population?

I wanna be an Elvin wizard.
                      "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Sure, why not. More game experience!
                        "It's evolution; every time you invent something fool-proof, the world invents a better fool."
                        -Unknown

"Preach the gospel, and if necessary use words." - Most likely St.Francis

I find that evolution is the best proof of God.
                        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                        I support the :
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                          Um. If there are multiple races doesn't that kill any chance of a breeding population?

I wanna be an Elvin wizard.
                          I guess wizard's aren't well versed in biology either. Perhaps my nameless wizard is just trying to save a particular someone and came up with a story. He's already working against the remaining authorities by creating an illegal portal.

Sure, elven wizard is fine. Although most 1st level mages aren't called wizards. You just barely finished your apprentice-ship. Wanna be a pregnant elven wizard?
                          Last edited by Scorching Wizard; 08-25-2015, 11:28 AM.

Comment

So Irate Canadian, One Bad Pig, Teallaura

Any preference on gaming systems, D&D or Pathfinder?

Comment

To be honest, I never cared for the wizard/sorcerer/et al distinctions. They're all MU's to me.

Nameless, if he has half a brain, will find a good place to hide and send additional people if and when he finds them and has the power. Conversely, he could entrust this group with a scroll with the spell so that someday we can get back and hopefully get some more survivors.

Richmont is a town, correct? If it survived years of fighting an orc parade, it has more than just us surviving. Plus there should be others on the planet - these aren't the smartest orcs in the barrel if a city can withstand them for years. It is therefore likely that larger pops survive elsewhere on the planet. The smartest move would have been to cut Richmont off from the rest of the planet initially to prevent it being overrun by the orcs. If so, then we're trying to save the culture, not the species'. Nameless could toss in a few volunteers from the outside world to get us up to sustainable levels.

Okay, speculation aside, how long ago did the fighting start? Have any of us been alive long enough to remember the time before the orcs (I presume so but if we're all first level...)

What type of government did Richmont have? What, if any, race is dominant? What is unique to Richmont's culture? How are wizards viewed presently? (I would guess they aren't on anyone's 'best thing since white bread' list but is there resentment?)
                              "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X