Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: (Recruiting Thread) Ruceeglaelstkinag: A Study in Applied Christian Theology of War

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Also, Gemcutting is a skill applicable to repairing warforged, and I gave Rational Gaze's 2 free ranks in a specialty "Repair Warforged" skill for that backstory and/or because I felt like it. This is important because the most common sorts of healing magic are at half effectiveness on Warforged. Anyway, between the two characters with those skills, it shouldn't be completely phail trying to make your own repairs (and yes, working on yourself works just fine in this system).

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Draco Dei View Post
    There is no way to create intelligence ex-nihilo in this setting.
    I was just going off the basic Warforged from regular D&D. But yeah, that's fine. Basically, I am a fantasy-setting equivalent of a cyborg.

Faith
    Heathen
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Sigval
    Humanoid (Halfling, Shapechanger) Monk

"Huginn and Muninn fly each day
    Over Jormungrund;
    I fear for Hugin, lest he come not home,
    But for Munin my care is more."
    --Grímnismál 20

BACKGROUND: Born to a peasant jeweller, a common life had been expected for the boy. Like the other children in his jarldom, he was expected to take up his father's trade and amount to little more than a craftsman. This all changed in his 12th Winter, when the village godsman saw a vision of the boy standing before the Masked God, as a child before his grandfather. The godsman declared that the boy should be sent off to live and train with the Cult of Odin. At first, the priests words were met with laughter and derision-- though tall for a Halfling, the image of this boy standing in a shield-line with the hulking men and half-orcs that made up the Jarl's berserkers was comical. But the godsman thought his vision to be no laughing matter, and despite the strangeness of it, the boy was sent off.

The Jarl's shock regiment thought much the same as the villagers, when the boy arrived at their door. They kicked him about, abused him, made him to do all the worst chores-- tasks befitting a slave! But no matter how roughly they treated him, the boy would return to his duty proudly. It was not long before the berserkers thought of him like a little brother, and let him train with them. No matter how hard he trained, the boy could not hope to match the warriors for strength, but he quickly found himself gaining speed and battle wisdom. Though his blows did the men little harm, he was soon landing more than he was receiving, and the cult decided that he deserved a place in the regiment. He was obviously unsuited for the shield-wall, but his size and quickness made him into an excellent scout. His reconnaissance delivered victory for the berserkers time and time again.

Then came the battle against the sorceress.

Even with all his skill, he had not seen her hidden in the enemy lines until his brothers began their charge. He rushed into the fray, attempting to warn them, but the fire rained down upon them all too soon. It was as if a doorway to Muspelheim had been struck open, and its burning embers poured from the sky. A roiling ball of flame crashed into the earth near the boy and exploded with a resounding thunder. The blast sent him crashing headlong into a rock, and as the darkness closed in on his vision, he could do naught but watch his brothers die.

Blurry eyed, the boy began to wake. The ringing in his ears was quickly replaced by the sound of wings flapping against the wind. Surely, he thought, this was the valkyrie to take him and his brothers to Odin's mead hall. But as his vision began to clear, it was not shieldmaidens he saw. It was ravens, glossy black, alighting on his chest. The boy tried to let out a vain little chuckle at the absurdity that he had survived; but as he did, the birds shot forward in unison, pecking out his eyes. When their beaks bit down on his orbs, a sudden rush of thought and memory washed over him, like he was living another's life at incredible speed. And then, all went black.

The boy awoke in the temple, surrounded by godsmen. His eyes were whole and still in their sockets. The eldest among the priests explained to him that he had been chosen by the Allfather, himself, set apart for a special purpose. Blessed by Huginn and Muninn, the boy would have newfound power. No longer would he scout simply for a warring Jarl. He was now to be eyes and ears for the Gallows God. The boy's old name was discarded and forgotten, and he was branded anew: Sigval, Victory for the Slain, an avatar of Odin's Thought and Memory on Midgard.

CHARACTER STYLE:
    Sigval is a Halfling were-raven. He utilizes his size and speed, his dexterity and his wisdom, to seek out information wherever he can gather it. He is extremely difficult to hit, whether with weapons or spells, but in return he is not much of a threat on the battlefield, himself, insofar as pure damage is concerned. By shapeshifting into a raven, he can fly to areas normally out of reach for other scouts, and he can spy without targets ever realizing another person is nearby. Sigval has made his services available to King Rucee as a mercenary, though he retains the ulterior motive of trying to learn more about this strange new land across the sea from his own. He eventually plans to bring this knowledge back to his own people, to make them better prepared for interacting with this peculiar folk and their odd religion.

MY PLAY EXPERIENCE:
    I've been playing tabletop RPG's for a couple of decades, now, but I haven't done many Play-by-Post forum campaigns, so I'm looking forward to it. Philosophically, I'm going to be a fairly unique voice at the table, I think. So far as I know, my character is the only non-Christian amongst us-- and he's a polytheist, at that. While I am not personally a polytheist, my ethics and philosophy are so closely entwined with traditional Norse Heathenry that I don't think I'll have much trouble roleplaying the concept.

Definitely looking forward to the game!
    Last edited by Boxing Pythagoras; 08-29-2015 at 12:46 AM.
    "[Mathematics] is the revealer of every hidden truth, for it knows every hidden secret, and bears the key to every subtlety of letters; whoever, then, has the effrontery to pursue physics while neglecting mathematics should know from the start he will never make his entry through the portals of wisdom."
    --Thomas Bradwardine, De Continuo (c. 1325)

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I played a bunch of tabletop RPGs at Dragon*Con in 2012 (the first and, so far, only year I've been.) Played a bunch of different games, a few using GURPS, others using more complex systems. I played a play-by-post RPG in a forum once. Generally, in both, I describe what I want/intend to do and rely on the GM/DM knowing their stuff to tell me what to roll/what ability to use, etc.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    (basically you skip a round except for maybe changing your stance, and then you get to pick 6 things to have ready to go, which is the most you can have anyway).
    Wait, does this mean that I can skip a turn and then do six moves in a row or in one go?

Faith
    Heathen
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rational Gaze View Post
    Wait, does this mean that I can skip a turn and then do six moves in a row or in one go?
    No, it just means that when you do use a Maneuver, you can't use that same Maneuver again in the very next turn.
    "[Mathematics] is the revealer of every hidden truth, for it knows every hidden secret, and bears the key to every subtlety of letters; whoever, then, has the effrontery to pursue physics while neglecting mathematics should know from the start he will never make his entry through the portals of wisdom."

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    On tablet for a day or two while trying to get Windows 10 to work on laptop... unless I give up on that. Anyway posting may be slow, but don't wait on me.

There may be a lawful neutral kobold in the party but I'm not sure that player has sold me on that alignment being an asset to discussion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rational Gaze View Post
    Think of it as having a gun with six barrels and 9 types of ammo. Most, but not all bullets take long enough to fire you can only get off one "shot" a round. Reloading all six barrels is a "full round" action* regardless of how many "barrels" were loaded to start with. Also you can't have the same type of ammo in two barrels at once.

*This terminology is deceptive in that you can normally move 5' and/or perform what is known as a Swift Action in addition to your "full round" action. Swifts are mostly useful in that case for changing between your two Stances.

On turns where you AREN'T refreshing your maneuvers or changing stances there are things called "boosts" that you have one or two of that let you move faster or light your weapons on fire for your turn or whatever.

Stances don't take up a "barrel" you just can only be in one at a time.
    Last edited by Draco Dei; 08-29-2015 at 08:22 PM.

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Specific questions about the setting as it relates to theological/moral/ethical issues?

Non-player characters who might be interesting to talk to to gain insight into the setting?
    Last edited by Draco Dei; 08-30-2015 at 07:14 PM.

Faith
    Heathen
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Specific questions about the setting as it relates to theological/moral/ethical issues?
    Obviously, my character's polytheism will be unique amongst our party of PC's, but what about the wider front of the setting? Should I expect to find a predominantly Christian world? How open should Sigval be about his Heathenry?

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boxing Pythagoras View Post
    Obviously, my character's polytheism will be unique amongst our party of PC's, but what about the wider front of the setting? Should I expect to find a predominantly Christian world? How open should Sigval be about his Heathenry?
    Ruceeglaelsktinag is a predominantly Christian nation. There both is and is not freedom of religion. Basically as long as ones Religion doesn't cause problems it is allowed. Remind me to explain more when not on tablet.

No strong reason for you to keep it a secret and I'd prefer not to have you muddle the waters by keeping that secret.