Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

DEA kicked out of Bolivia = drug production reduction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DEA kicked out of Bolivia = drug production reduction

Drug dealing now represents less than 1% of the Andean country's GDP, in a sustained reduction ever since the expulsion of the United States DEA agency.

source
    Now, all Afghanistan needs to do is follow course in order to get back to its drug production lows.

The main support for drug production is the so-called War on Drugs. It drives up prices for illegal importers and does not even slow down the usage of drugs, or the damage to society. The DEA was, and is, just a part of that.
    Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
      The main support for drug production is the so-called War on Drugs. It drives up prices for illegal importers and does not even slow down the usage of drugs, or the damage to society. The DEA was, and is, just a part of that.
      You're talking about a different issue than stated in the OP. The "war on drugs" explains the price rises, yes, and as a result of the price rise, the increased involvement of criminal activity. But this is a different issue. It doesn't explain why production dramatically fell in Bolivia the 7 year period DEA was kicked out of the country. This indicates DEA somehow obstructed local government proaction against drug production. Now whether this was inadvertent or not and exactly how this happened is where the discussion is.

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post
        You're talking about a different issue than stated in the OP. The "war on drugs" explains the price rises, yes, and as a result of the price rise, the increased involvement of criminal activity. But this is a different issue. It doesn't explain why production dramatically fell in Bolivia the 7 year period DEA was kicked out of the country. This indicates DEA somehow obstructed local government proaction against drug production. Now whether this was inadvertent or not and exactly how this happened is where the discussion is.
        Because the DEA is
        1) extremely corrupt. Many drugs were not "disposed of." but became in higher demand because the DEA itself trafficked drugs into other countries using corrupt officials, countries including our own. More need, more production and more money as the DEA charged more for underground operations. Now that they are gone, its just home grown drugs and home grown cartel, drugs which btw are legal in certain forms in Bolivia. Legal? No problems and less production.
        A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
        George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Now, all Afghanistan needs to do is follow course in order to get back to its drug production lows.
          Drugs like Hashish and Hash oil and Heroin are legal in Afghanistan, Hashish ans Hash Oil in Morocco, and Heroin in India, Nepal and Bangladesh, just not as exports. Sorry, its more or less a bad argument until you get into export ant trading issues.
          George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by Catholicity View Post
            Because the DEA is
            1) extremely corrupt. Many drugs were not "disposed of." but became in higher demand because the DEA itself trafficked drugs into other countries using corrupt officials, countries including our own. More need, more production and more money as the DEA charged more for underground operations. Now that they are gone, its just home grown drugs and home grown cartel, drugs which btw are legal in certain forms in Bolivia. Legal? No problems and less production.
            In the intelligence community the DEA has long been viewed contemptuously due to a mixture of both corruption and incompetence.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Because the DEA is
              How dare you, woman. We're talking a multi billion dollar branch of federal government. Romans 13!

Drugs like Hashish and Hash oil and Heroin are legal in Afghanistan, Hashish ans Hash Oil in Morocco, and Heroin in India, Nepal and Bangladesh, just not as exports. Sorry, its more or less a bad argument until you get into export ant trading issues.
              Production was down dramatically prior to US invasion and occupation. The argument is that Taliban curbed the production, thus when they were wiped out, production continued in the region with a vengeance (of course, this seems to contradict the fact that Taliban has regained many of its strongholds throughout Afghanistan). It also doesn't help when US marines are ordered to both guard the poppy fields and supply local farmers with cultivation resources.

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
              In the intelligence community the DEA has long been viewed contemptuously due to a mixture of both corruption and incompetence.
              All I've heard of is investigations in DEA's various sexual scandals and the whole Fast and Furious situation, which has been lost in a sea of partisan hackery, particularly from the left. I've not heard of any other type of corruption, especially from the intelligence community. I'd like to see a source for that.

Comment

Even in our lowly local police department, we used to groan when DEA was involved in anything. It was often said they could screw up a two car funeral procession.
                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

How dare you, woman. We're talking a multi billion dollar branch of federal government. Romans 13!

Production was down dramatically prior to US invasion and occupation. The argument is that Taliban curbed the production, thus when they were wiped out, production continued in the region with a vengeance (of course, this seems to contradict the fact that Taliban has regained many of its strongholds throughout Afghanistan). It also doesn't help when US marines are ordered to both guard the poppy fields and supply local farmers with cultivation resources.

All I've heard of is investigations in DEA's various sexual scandals and the whole Fast and Furious situation, which has been lost in a sea of partisan hackery, particularly from the left. I've not heard of any other type of corruption, especially from the intelligence community. I'd like to see a source for that.
                  So I don't agree with this branch of government. Free speech IS NOT a violation of Romans 13. ANYONE can disagree with the law or authorities and still be obedient to them.
                  I'm sorry that you don't like Afghani Culture and disagree with what they allow. Not your circus not your clown car. Our marines guard the fields for tribesman and local producers and keep it out of the hands of Isis. Lesser of two evils. Its also a method of Intelligence Gathering.
                  You need to read a little, they steal drugs and take in small time sellers prostitutes and traders, take the cash divide it amongst themselves and many of the narcotics are not disposed of properly (READ returned to pharmacies, destroyed properly, etc) but used for personal purposes or resold for a higher price) This drives the cost of Legal drugs through the roof because drugs and chemical formulas can't be retained by pharmacies for study, and controlled substances end up in the wrong hands.
                  George Bernard Shaw

Comment

So I don't agree with this branch of government. Free speech IS NOT a violation of Romans 13. ANYONE can disagree with the law or authorities and still be obedient to them.
                    I'm sorry that you don't like Afghani Culture and disagree with what they allow. Not your circus not your clown car. Our marines guard the fields for tribesman and local producers and keep it out of the hands of Isis. Lesser of two evils. Its also a method of Intelligence Gathering.
                    You need to read a little, they steal drugs and take in small time sellers prostitutes and traders, take the cash divide it amongst themselves and many of the narcotics are not disposed of properly (READ returned to pharmacies, destroyed properly, etc) but used for personal purposes or resold for a higher price) This drives the cost of Legal drugs through the roof because drugs and chemical formulas can't be retained by pharmacies for study, and controlled substances end up in the wrong hands.
                    Guarding the fields and supplying farmers with cultivation resources was before ISIS rose up, you nitwit. They were apparently guarding it from the Taliban that wanted to destroy the fields, I guess, though the explanation wasn't really clear. And Romans 13 was a joke.

Comment

(first US military operation in Afghanistan) Operation Enduring Freedom 2001:

source

Comment

So, Rogue, can I see those sources or were you just equivocating.

Comment

So, Rogue, can I see those sources or were you just equivocating.
                          No. These are people who were and still active in the intelligence community. They all have a remarkably contemptuous view of the DEA based on repeated experience with them.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

No. These are people who were and still active in the intelligence community. They all have a remarkably contemptuous view of the DEA based on repeated experience with them.
                            Yeah. It was pretty well known that guys went to DEA because they couldn't but it in the more professional agencies.
                            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Okay, I was just hoping you had a source. When I'm having a conversation with someone about how corrupt they are, I can't say "rogue from the internet said..."

Comment