Announcement

Collapse

Biblical Languages 301 Guidelines

This is where we come to delve into the biblical text. Theology is not our foremost thought, but we realize it is something that will be dealt with in nearly every conversation. Feel free to use the original languages to make your point (meaning Greek, Hebrew, and Aramaic). This is an exegetical discussion area, so please limit topics to purely biblical ones.

This is not the section for debates between theists and atheists. While a theistic viewpoint is not required for discussion in this area, discussion does presuppose a respect for the integrity of the Biblical text (or the willingness to accept such a presupposition for discussion purposes) and a respect for the integrity of the faith of others and a lack of an agenda to undermine the faith of others.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Gender Neutral Pronouns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gender Neutral Pronouns

I thought I had run the gamut alternating back and forth with regard to whether or not to stick with the traditional generic use of masculine singular pronouns as used in the Hebrew and Greek scriptures, as well as in in older versions of the English Bible, such as the RSV; or, on the other hand, to accept the modern usage of plurals rendering singulars if the singular happens to be masculine (in the original Hebrew and/or Greek) in versions such as the NRSV. I am currently back to preferring the RSV in this regard, which has always been my preference but I have from time to time yielded to the arguments presented by D. A. Carson et al.

Then I see this.

I addressed this issue not so long since. Maybe a quick rummage will unearth it.

Here tis: Kings Gambit mentioned the same issue in the prior post.
    Originally posted by tabibito
    "He" always was the gender neutral pronoun - since way back in Old English where it originated. Old English nouns had grammatical gender, and both "man" and "woman" were grammatically masculine - hence, the masculine pronoun was used for both.
    Last edited by tabibito; 08-29-2015, 11:06 AM.
    1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
    ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
    Scripture before Tradition:
    but that won't prevent others from
    taking it upon themselves to deprive you
    of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Originally posted by tabibito View Post
      I addressed this issue not so long since. Maybe a quick rummage will unearth it.

Here tis: Kings Gambit mentioned the same issue in the prior post.
      [url=http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/showthread.php?7878-August-2015-Screwballs&p=236416&viewfull=1#post236416]
      Thanks for that!

Here is the text linked by the scrambled quote:
      "He" always was the gender neutral pronoun - since way back in Old English where it originated. Old English nouns had grammatical gender, and both "man" and "woman" were grammatically masculine - hence, the masculine pronoun was used for both.
      Last edited by John Reece; 08-29-2015, 11:13 AM.

Comment

Interesting. I wouId have thought woman would have been feminine like 'fraù in German, or neutral like fraulien.
        "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
          Interesting. I wouId have thought woman would have been feminine like 'fraù in German, or neutral like fraulien.
          From what little I know on this the term "man" was gender neutral. Woman was the feminine and wereman was the masculine.
          . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

? You mean in English, Bible?
            "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

I've been using gender neutral pronouns for ages, y'all!!!!!!
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                If it was good nuff fer Paul and Silas it wer good nuff fer me.
                A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
                George Bernard Shaw

Comment

It kind of came as a shock to me too. The Dictionary of Old English went into a fair bit of detail - "woman" was "wyfman" retained in modern English as "wife", and a few other bits and pieces that I can't remember the detail for.
                  1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                  ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Cool! Thanks, Tab'

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                      In Pennsylvania we have our own gender neutral pronoun: Yins
                      "Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ― C.S. Lewis, God in the Dock: Essays on Theology (Making of Modern Theology)

Comment

Originally posted by Jesse View Post
                        In Pennsylvania we have our own gender neutral pronoun: Yins
                        I've heard of that. Thankfully, it doesn't seem to be contagious.
                        ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Originally posted by tabibito View Post
                          I've heard of that. Thankfully, it doesn't seem to be contagious.
                          I've lived in Oregon for over 20 years where you NEVER hear it. I will slip up sometimes and still say it. Try it out, you might like it.
                          "Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ― C.S. Lewis, God in the Dock: Essays on Theology (Making of Modern Theology)

Comment

? You mean in English, Bible?
                            No, just to what was Old English prefixes, wer-, because of your question regarding the word "woman." And so for the prefixe wer-, I misspelled it, it was to be werman. And wif- was wifman, the female man. Wifman > wīmmann > wumman > woman. These changes predates our oldest English translation of the Bible. You got me looking at this.
                            . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

Originally posted by 37818 View Post
                              No, just to what was Old English prefixes, wer-, because of your question regarding the word "woman." And so for the prefixe wer-, I misspelled it, it was to be werman. And wif- was wifman, the female man. Wifman > wīmmann > wumman > woman. These changes predates our oldest English translation of the Bible. You got me looking at this.
                              "Woman" has a much simpler entomology....

When God caused Adam to go into a deep sleep, and removed a rib, and created Eve, Adam woke up, took one look at her, and said.....

WOAH!!!! MAN!!!!!!

It has since evolved into "woman".

I'll be leaving now.
                              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X