Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Christian Necrophobes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JimL View Post
    No matter how you define death, biblically speaking, death is not something that had relevance in this world until god made it so.
    Well, death CERTAINLY had no relevance until God created LIFE!

Of course in my opinion that is a lot of fairy tale nonsense so I actualy agree with you that god is not the cause of death.
    Yeah, so typically dishonest of you, Jim. Can you SHOW me where I argued that God is not the cause of death? I have repeatedly said that God created life.

This looks more and more like an attack on Mossy, so I think I'll leave you to your ignorant folly.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by 37818 View Post
      This looks more and more like an attack on Mossy.
      Agreed. Don't you usually move personal attack threads to the Psycho Ward?

Comment

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
        You misquoted him. Cow Poke said that.

This is challenging the views of Sparko and Mossy that death was introduced by humankind.

Comment

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
          Some how, you managed to attribute my quote to 37818. But, yeah, great suggestion - I'll run it by the uppers.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
            Some how, you managed to attribute my quote to 37818.
            Darn it, It has to do with the multi-quote function. In the previous iteration of TWeb, if you used the multi-quote feature it would only last for one post. Now it seems to stay on permanently until you go back and turn the feature off on each post you multi-quoted. I had previously used the multi-quote option for both you and BIBLE. When I quoted you the second time, I noticed that I was re-quoting you both again, so I manually deleted the previous quotes, but apparently deleted the wrong quote tag.

long story short, the multi-quote feature is broke.

But, yeah, great suggestion - I'll run it by the uppers.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
              Deny what fact?
              The fact that all living things die.

And the reason there is death is because mankind rebelled against God
              Nonsense! What you’re in effect saying is that “death” is retroactive, which is absurd. Many millions of species, e.g. the dinosaurs, went extinct long before the alleged sin of Adam brought death into the world. There have been five major extinction events alone.

But until you are faced with your own death you have no idea how you will react
              It’s the pain of illness and dying which is mostly feared, not death itself…in my case at least. It’s best to deal with reality rather than live a lie by indulging in unsubstantiated escapist beliefs of eternal life.

Are you so sure there is no God that you are willing to bet your life on it?
              Pretty much! Certainly the petty little gods of the world’s major religions are all too obviously idealized versions of Man, complete with their petty jealousies and desire for praise, to be taken seriously.

I am not afraid to die because I know something better than this life awaits me
              I think you’re wrong.

The best you can look forward is non existence or worse
              …”or worse”.

You lot just can’t help yourselves can you.
              “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

Originally posted by whag View Post
                I contend that some Christians who can't process the fact that God, if he exists, invented death are themselves fearful of death and probably converted for that shallow reason. Some, not all.
                Why is that a shallow reason?
                "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
                  Why is that a shallow reason?
                  Because fear of death does not make actually make it more likely that God exists. It's fallacious reasoning, an appeal to consequences where someone believes something because of the positive consequences they think belief will bring to them. It reduces theistic belief down to a selfish attempt to escape something one is scared of, like a child.
                  "Instead, we argue, it is necessary to shift the debate from the subject under consideration, instead exposing to public scrutiny the tactics they [denialists] employ and identifying them publicly for what they are."

Comment

Stars are a good example. They're not alive but we can't really call them dead. They serve as a great analogy for biological organisms: they are dynamic, eat and burn fuel, shed waste, and cease existing, just like all flora and fauna do.
                    They also reproduce. You could probably make a decent argument that stars are, in fact, alive.
                    "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

Comment

Originally posted by Jichard View Post
                      Because fear of death does not make actually make it more likely that God exists. It's fallacious reasoning, an appeal to consequences where someone believes something because of the positive consequences they think belief will bring to them. It reduces theistic belief down to a selfish attempt to escape something one is scared of, like a child.
                      You are telling me why it's not a logical proposition, but that's not what whag said or what I asked about. Shallow has nothing to do with truth or formal reasoning. A thing can be shallow and true and logically sound. It can also be deep and false. I want to know why whag thinks it's a shallow reason.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/shallow?s=t

of little depth; not deep:
                      shallow water.
                      lacking depth; superficial:

Comment

You are telling me why it's not a logical proposition, but that's not what whag said or what I asked about. Shallow has nothing to do with truth or formal reasoning. A thing can be shallow and true and logically sound. It can also be deep and false. I want to know why whag thinks it's a shallow reason.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/shallow?s=t
                        Already explained why it's shallow: it reduces theistic belief down to a selfish attempt to escape something one is scared of, like a child.

Now, if someone wants to be like a little kid who believes whatever makes them feel good, then they're engaged in shallow wish-fulfillment.
                        "Instead, we argue, it is necessary to shift the debate from the subject under consideration, instead exposing to public scrutiny the tactics they [denialists] employ and identifying them publicly for what they are."

Comment

Originally posted by Jichard View Post
                          Already explained why it's shallow: it reduces theistic belief down to a selfish attempt to escape something one is scared of, like a child.
                          That doesn't really explain why it's shallow, though the explanation itself is, ironically, shallow.

Now, if someone wants to be like a little kid who believes whatever makes them feel good, then they're engaged in shallow wish-fulfillment.
                          There sure are a lot of little kids who look like adults running around.

Comment

That doesn't really explain why it's shallow, though the explanation itself is, ironically, shallow.
                            Sure it does, it’s shallow in the sense of not exhibiting in depth serious thought; merely wish fulfilment i.e. (in psychology) the satisfaction of a desire through such processes as fantasising and neurotic symptoms.

There sure are a lot of little kids who look like adults running around.
                            Certainly, although it’s decreasing rapidly. “Fifty-nine percent of Millennials who grew up in a Christian church drop out of it permanently or for an extended period of time, according to research by Barna Group. Among the most common reasons for leaving are Millennials’ beliefs that churches are shallow, anti-science, overprotective, and promote simplistic, judgmental views of sexuality..."

http://jonathanmerritt.religionnews....p-its-a-thing/

Besides, your argument is a logical fallacy i.e. “Argumentum ad populum" which occurs when something is considered to be true solely because it is popular.
                            “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

That's a conundrum for the Christians who've asserted non-Christians fear a judgment.
                              I can't speak for others but I don't have much time for viewpoints that assert that all people think the same way.
                              "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Death has existed since life has existed.

All living things has been dying for about 3.5 billion years before human beings.

I can't argue with that. We're all different.

We're both mammals who like persisting on the earth. I'd also seek treatment, just as you are doing, if my liver was failing.

All mammals want to live, and that's why you seek a new liver. We don't seek medical treatment during infirmity because we fear a religious judgment. Rather, we have a powerful survival drive.
                                Sure everyone wants to live. But to a Christian, death is more like immigrating to a better country where you won't see your friends and loved ones for a while, till they come over and join you. You are reluctant to go, but you know that a better life awaits you.

And the reason we use doctors and I am seeking treatment is that to Christians, life, especially human life (including our own) is precious and not to be squandered or tossed away. That is why Christians think suicide is wrong. So yes, I am seeking treatment. But if I don't get the treatment and die, I am not worried or scared.

1 Cor 15:When the perishable has been clothed with the imperishable, and the mortal with immortality, then the saying that is written will come true: “Death has been swallowed up in victory.”
                                55 “Where, O death, is your victory?
                                Where, O death, is your sting?”

As far as death having existed for billions of years, I am speaking of human death. And views on how long death itself has been around various among Christians. There are theistic evolutionists, young earth creationists, old earth creationists, etc. All of those views fall within the scope of Christianity.

Sure some atheists are stubborn enough to not believe in God on their deathbeds, but I think a majority will try to hedge their bets at that last minute and pray to God. And I think the more blusterous they are about being atheist now, the more they actually have doubts and want to convince themselves more than anyone else. Like Tassman. At least you admit you are an agnostic. That's a good start.

Comment