Announcement

Collapse

Unorthodox Theology 201 Guidelines

Theists only.

This forum area is primarily for persons who would identify themselves as Christians whether or not their theology is recognized within the mainstream or as orthodox though other theists may participate with moderator permission. Therefore those that would be restricted from posting in Christianity 201 due to a disagreement with the enumerated doctrines, ie the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment may freely post here on any theological subject matter. In this case "unorthodox" is used in the strict sense of a person who denies what has been declared as universal essentials of the historic Christian faith. Examples would be adherents to Oneness, Full Preterists, Unitarian Universalist Christians, Gnostics, Liberal Christianity, Christian Science to name a few.

The second purpose will be for threads on subjects, which although the thread starter has no issue with the above doctrines, the subject matter is so very outside the bounds of normative Christian doctrine totally within the leadership's discretion that it is placed here. In so doing, no judgment or offense is intended to be placed on the belief of said person in the above-doctrines. In this case "unorthodox" is used in a much looser sense of "outside the norms" - Examples of such threads would be pro-polygamy, pro-drug use, proponents of gay Christian churches, proponents of abortion.

The third purpose is for persons who wish to have input from any and all who would claim the title of Christian even on subjects that would be considered "orthodox."

The philosophy behind this area was to recognize that there are persons who would identify themselves as Christian and thus seem out of place in the Comparative Religions Forum, but yet in keeping with our committment here to certain basic core Christian doctrines. Also, it allows threads to be started by those who would want to still be identified as Christian with a particular belief that while not denying an essential is of such a nature that the discussion on that issue belongs in this section or for threads by persons who wish such a non-restricted discussion.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Snake handling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A recent "Coffee with Jesus" deals with this: https://www.facebook.com/RadioFreeBa...type=1&theater

Years ago when I was young my pastor told us that when Mark said that "They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them" it was intended to be taken idiomatically and meant that believers will be able to overcome opposition and withstand attacks upon their character respectively. Was anyone else taught that?

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
      A recent "Coffee with Jesus" deals with this: https://www.facebook.com/RadioFreeBa...type=1&theater

Years ago when I was young my pastor told us that when Mark said that "They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them" it was intended to be taken idiomatically and meant that believers will be able to overcome opposition and withstand attacks upon their character respectively. Was anyone else taught that?
      yeah
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Something tells me that at some point in church history, some people will get into a boat, plant themselves in deep water and a half mile away from shore, and proceed to jump overboard in a hopeless attempt to walk on water.

To test their faith of course.

Comment

They handle venomous snakes? No problem holding a nonvenomous snake!
          If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
            They handle venomous snakes? No problem holding a nonvenomous snake!
            A non-venomous snake can still give you a nasty bite.

Anybody remember the old joke about "Where is the back door?"

Comment

Isn't holding a snake a technique thing? Not a faith thing. God didn't promise that...
              If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...
              X