Announcement

Collapse

Islam Guidelines

Theists only.

This forum is a debate area to discuss issues pertaining to Islam. This forum is generally for theists only, and is not the area for debate between atheists and theists. Non-theist may not post here without first obtaining permission from the moderator of this forum. Granting of such permission is subject to Moderator discretion - and may be revoked if the Moderator feels that the poster is not keeping with the spirit of the World Religions Department.

Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Austria's new laws on Islam.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Austria's new laws on Islam.

Austria has just enacted some new laws regarding Islam, namely:
    1. a ban on foreign funding of Muslim organisations.
    2. any group claiming to represent Austrian muslims must use a standardised German translation of the Koran.
    3. Imams are only allowed to teach in German.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/...0LT28420150225
    Source: Reuters

Austria's parliament passed a law on Wednesday that seeks to regulate how Islam is administered, singling out its large Muslim minority for treatment not applied to any other religious group.

The "Law on Islam" bans foreign funding for Islamic organizations and requires any group claiming to represent Austrian Muslims to submit and use a standardized German translation of the Koran.

The law met with little opposition from the overwhelmingly Roman Catholic population, was backed by Austria's Catholic bishops, and was grudgingly accepted by the main Muslim organization. But it upset Turkey's state religious establishment.

"We want an Islam of the Austrian kind, and not one that is dominated by other countries," said Sebastian Kurz, the 28-year-old conservative foreign minister - formally the minister for foreign affairs and integration - who is easily Austria's most popular politician.

Austria's half a million Muslims make up about 6 percent of the population and are overwhelmingly the families of Turkish migrant workers. Many of their imams are sent and financed by Turkey's state religious affairs directorate, the Diyanet.

Mehmet Gormez, head of the Diyanet, said before the law was passed that "with this draft legislation, religious freedoms in Austria will have fallen back a hundred years".

Austria's biggest Islamic organization, IGGiO, accepted the law, but its youth arm opposed it, as did the Turkish-financed Turkish-Islamic Union in Austria (ATIB), which runs many mosques and has vowed to challenge the bill in the Constitutional Court.
    [Article continues]

© Copyright Original Source

Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
    1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
    -Ben Witherington III

My initial reaction is ... "GOOD!!!!"

However, a restriction on religious liberty.....
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

My initial reaction is ... "GOOD!!!!"

However, a restriction on religious liberty.....

Comment

I agree with the first one, as there should not be such a thing as a state religion, and governments should not engage in foreign aid spending or fund organisations in any capacity. As for the other two, those are restrictions on religious liberty. The government simply does not have the right to tell free people what they can and cannot do.
        My Amazon Author page: https://www.amazon.com/-/e/B0719RS8BK

Comment

#2 sounds no different in principle from the Chinese government requiring their own Communist approved Bible translations for use.
          "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
            #2 sounds no different in principle from the Chinese government requiring their own Communist approved Bible translations for use.
            I highly doubt the Chinese government requires that for the purpose of integrating minorities, so it's entirely different.
            "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Originally posted by Raphael View Post
              Austria has just enacted some new laws regarding Islam, namely:
              1. a ban on foreign funding of Muslim organisations.
              2. any group claiming to represent Austrian muslims must use a standardised German translation of the Koran.
              3. Imams are only allowed to teach in German.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/...0LT28420150225
              Source: Reuters

Austria's parliament passed a law on Wednesday that seeks to regulate how Islam is administered, singling out its large Muslim minority for treatment not applied to any other religious group.

The "Law on Islam" bans foreign funding for Islamic organizations and requires any group claiming to represent Austrian Muslims to submit and use a standardized German translation of the Koran.

The law met with little opposition from the overwhelmingly Roman Catholic population, was backed by Austria's Catholic bishops, and was grudgingly accepted by the main Muslim organization. But it upset Turkey's state religious establishment.

"We want an Islam of the Austrian kind, and not one that is dominated by other countries," said Sebastian Kurz, the 28-year-old conservative foreign minister - formally the minister for foreign affairs and integration - who is easily Austria's most popular politician.

Austria's half a million Muslims make up about 6 percent of the population and are overwhelmingly the families of Turkish migrant workers. Many of their imams are sent and financed by Turkey's state religious affairs directorate, the Diyanet.

Mehmet Gormez, head of the Diyanet, said before the law was passed that "with this draft legislation, religious freedoms in Austria will have fallen back a hundred years".

Austria's biggest Islamic organization, IGGiO, accepted the law, but its youth arm opposed it, as did the Turkish-financed Turkish-Islamic Union in Austria (ATIB), which runs many mosques and has vowed to challenge the bill in the Constitutional Court.
              [Article continues]

© Copyright Original Source

I disagree with Number 2. That would be the equivalent of telling the Amish they can't pass out books in German or Hold Services In German. Nor can they sing hymns In Pennsylvannia Dutch (Mix of English, German and Swiss).
              Its also the same as China Giving Catholic Bishops Approved Chinese Translated Catechisms and Bibles, which are really State cut versions designed to cut out individuality, laws against the Chinese Government and Freedom of thought.
              And Number Three Arabic is the Native tongue of Many Middle Eastern Countries. Islam Holds Service in Both Arabic and the Lay Language (at least Peaceful Islamic Branches do)
              Considering this would be the equivalent of ordering Orthodox Jews to cease prayer in Hebrew During Service, Not Speak in Hebrew, And to put away the Hand Copied Torah. I can't agree with this. It violates the idea that if I cause someone to fall by my actions, then I am sinning too.
              Originally posted by 1 Cor 8:13
              Therefore, if food causes my brother to stumble, I will never eat meat again, so that I will not cause my brother to stumble.
              This is more than about meat, this is about honoring other's customs.
              A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
              George Bernard Shaw

Comment

If German was good enough for Mohammed, it's good enough for me!
                βλέπομεν γὰρ ἄρτι δι᾿ ἐσόπτρου ἐν αἰνίγματι, τότε δὲ πρόσωπον πρὸς πρόσωπον·
                ἄρτι γινώσκω ἐκ μέρους, τότε δὲ ἐπιγνώσομαι καθὼς καὶ ἐπεγνώσθην.

אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

Comment

Originally posted by robrecht View Post
                  If German was good enough for Mohammed, it's good enough for me!
                  funnily enough the Reuters article (linked in OP) quotes Germany's Chancellor Angela Merkel as saying "Islam belongs to Germany"
                  Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
                  1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
                  -Ben Witherington III

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
                    I highly doubt the Chinese government requires that for the purpose of integrating minorities, so it's entirely different.
                    I'm sure that's exactly how they see it.
                    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                      I'm sure that's exactly how they see it.
                      As they should, since it's a dumb, nonsensical comparison.
                      "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Bad. Government has no business regulating religion.
                        "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
                          As they should, since it's a dumb, nonsensical comparison.
                          As is usual from you; asserted but not demonstrated.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                          Working...
                          X