Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

OK, SHE SAID IT! - Women Bring on Sexual Assault by Their Dress / Conduct...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Originally posted by Sea of red View Post
    Try not saying it at all.
    Ah, Captain of the Political Correctness Police on duty! She doesn't have a right to her opinion?
    I never get why some people make the response you just did.

Right to your opinion does not mean that:
    • no one can tell you to shut up
    • no one can criticize you for what you say
    • there will no consequences for what you say
    and so on. Instead, it means that there will be certain legal protections for what you say. For example, the state is prevented from using what you say as justification for doing certain things to you.

So Sea of Red has every right to say that she should not have said what she said, and nothing about her right to her opinion stops him from saying that. However, it'd be a different matter if Sea of red wanted to kill her for saying that, or told other people to kill her for saying. Her right to her opinion would legally protect her from that, and the state can step in to enforce those protections.

Really, I think people like you mis-use that right to their opinion!!! as cop-out avoiding criticism of speech. Legal rights don't protect you from criticism of what you say, or do they protect you from people telling you to shut up (with some exceptions, like if your employer tells you to shut up).
    "Instead, we argue, it is necessary to shift the debate from the subject under consideration, instead exposing to public scrutiny the tactics they [denialists] employ and identifying them publicly for what they are."

Comment

• Originally posted by Jichard View Post
      I never get why some people make the response you just did.

Right to your opinion does not mean that:
      • no one can tell you to shut up
      • no one can criticize you for what you say
      • there will no consequences for what you say
      and so on. Instead, it means that there will be certain legal protections for what you say. For example, the state is prevented from using what you say as justification for doing certain things to you.

So Sea of Red has every right to say that she should not have said what she said, and nothing about her right to her opinion stops him from saying that. However, it'd be a different matter if Sea of red wanted to kill her for saying that, or told other people to kill her for saying. Her right to her opinion would legally protect her from that, and the state can step in to enforce those protections.

Really, I think people like you mis-use that right to their opinion!!! as cop-out avoiding criticism of speech. Legal rights don't protect you from criticism of what you say, or do they protect you from people telling you to shut up (with some exceptions, like if your employer tells you to shut up).

This is how i understand the Political police duty is:
      **If you say what we say then you are ok, otherwise, if you are against us you should shut up - shut up we do not tolerate you to say your opinion but you should tolerate our opinion (the irony).

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
        I just find it interesting that once again, the liberals want to tell other people what their opinion should be.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]9252[/ATTACH]
        I just find it interesting that the conservatives, at least many of you, want to tell women how they should live their lives, because men might have a problem with it. Its BS. Women get raped in all kinds of situations, whether modestly clad or scantily clad, whether they go to bars or stay at home or whatever. The fault is not in what women do.
        Last edited by JimL; 08-31-2015, 11:51 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pinoy View Post
          This is how i understand the Political police duty is:
          **If you say what we say then you are ok, otherwise, if you are against us you should shut up - shut up we do not tolerate you to say your opinion but you should tolerate our opinion (the irony).
          That's not really accurate

All Political Correct speech amounts to is being marginally less of a jackass to people.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sam View Post
            Rape is predominately a crime of opportunity. The style of dress probably matters little.
            In the setting of a bar, there are usually multiple "opportunities". The sexual predator uses a number of factors to select his target, including the probability that the victim will / will not prosecute, the ease with which she can be overcome, etc.... It's just downright goofy to think he doesn't also consider physical appearance. A woman going to a bar alone is not likely to be dressed in a business suit. She's often there to find male companionship, and will dress accordingly.
            Last edited by Cow Poke; 09-01-2015, 06:24 AM.
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jaecp View Post
              That's not really accurate

All Political Correct speech amounts to is being marginally less of a jackass to people.
              Meh... I think it's a bunch of jackasses using their jackassery to further their goal of sissifying America.
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• I think 'sissified' is no longer the appropriate term; rather, some people are masculinity-challenged or testosterone deprived.
                βλέπομεν γὰρ ἄρτι δι᾿ ἐσόπτρου ἐν αἰνίγματι, τότε δὲ πρόσωπον πρὸς πρόσωπον·
                ἄρτι γινώσκω ἐκ μέρους, τότε δὲ ἐπιγνώσομαι καθὼς καὶ ἐπεγνώσθην.

אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

Comment

• Originally posted by robrecht View Post
                  I think 'sissified' is no longer the appropriate term; rather, some people are masculinity-challenged or testosterone deprived.

Comment

Perfect!
                    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
                      I just find it interesting that the conservatives, at least many of you, want to tell women how they should live their lives, because men might have a problem with it. Its BS. Women get raped in all kinds of situations, whether modestly clad or scantily clad, whether they go to bars or stay at home or whatever. The fault is not in what women do.
                      none of us have said that their mode of dress makes them at fault. Merely that dressing and acting provocatively will more likely get the attention of men, including rapists. Like someone said earlier about leaving your car unlocked.

Since Sam won't answer my question, maybe you will.

Which girl do you think is most likely to get more attention from guys at a bar?

woman5.jpg

or 2.

gA07n.jpg

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                        none of us have said that their mode of dress makes them at fault. Merely that dressing and acting provocatively will more likely get the attention of men, including rapists. Like someone said earlier about leaving your car unlocked.

Since Sam won't answer my question, maybe you will.

Which girl do you think is most likely to get more attention from guys at a bar?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]9258[/ATTACH]

or 2.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]9259[/ATTACH]
                        I'm going to take a shot in the dark - number two?
                        Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
                          I just find it interesting that the conservatives, at least many of you, want to tell women how they should live their lives,
                          This is just classic JimL Buttdumb ignorant jackass idiocy. Because we CARE for women, instead of try to use them to win elections or manipulate them into THINKING we care, we're willing to take the heat and suggest the possibility - unpopular though it may be - that they could actually be endangering themselves by putting themselves in unsafe situations.

because men might have a problem with it.
                          Yes, I have a problem with women being abused, and spend a considerable amount of time involved in trying to change that.

Its BS.
                          That describes your world.

Women get raped in all kinds of situations, whether modestly clad or scantily clad, whether they go to bars or stay at home or whatever.
                          Only a total idiot would make such a jackass flippant comment. There are, most CERTAINLY, situations that make them more vulnerable. This "women get raped all the time" jackassery shows an incredible lack of compassion.

The fault is not in what women do.
                          And nobody said that. You have sunk to a new low of stupidity.

Comment

• Again! At this rate, the liberals on this thread will have me be more paranoid than Batman about potential attackers! Because violent attacks come statistically from people you know versus a random bad guy in a dark alley. Let's see, if a guy won't take no for an answer, leave or go for his throat, reproductive organs, and other soft and painful targets if cornered. Hmm, maybe that's why I've never been asked out.
                            Last edited by Christianbookworm; 09-01-2015, 08:42 AM.
                            If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

This is just classic JimL Buttdumb ignorant jackass idiocy. Because we CARE for women, instead of try to use them to win elections or manipulate them into THINKING we care, we're willing to take the heat and suggest the possibility - unpopular though it may be - that they could actually be endangering themselves by putting themselves in unsafe situations.
                              Again, who disagrees with this? Who is saying that women cannot and should not take precautions against assault? How is that an unpopular position to take? The only point of dispute here and the only thing that's unpopular to say is that women are at fault for assaults or that they should expect to be assaulted based on how they dress when going out.
                              "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / So close to our dwelling place?" — Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

• Originally posted by Sam View Post
                                Again, who disagrees with this? Who is saying that women cannot and should not take precautions against assault? How is that an unpopular position to take? The only point of dispute here and the only thing that's unpopular to say is that women are at fault for assaults or that they should expect to be assaulted based on how they dress when going out.
                                Not surprising you'd answer a post to JimL - you're becoming more like him. And you're wrong on a number of points, just like him.

Comment