Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Parallel Alternate Multiverses, Oh My!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parallel Alternate Multiverses, Oh My!

I spent a couple of hours watching YouTube videos and reading Wikis on this topic over the last week. Obviously, I didn't make a serious study, based on these sources, though I did listen to a few string theorists describe the science that seems to support some potential for the parallel universes. Most of the science made my brain hurt, especially when they started talking about 11 dimensions and membranes, but I could grasp the general concept. But, I got lost when they applied this to predict multiple, parallel universes where each decision we make creates many possible results, each one its own universe. Actually, since the scientists start by defining the universe as that which we can currently observe, I had to make an adjustment to my thinking right off the bat. I managed to absorb enough of the science to have a few good chuckles at the paranormal enthusiasts mixing in the Mandela Effect and time travel into this mix, but I'd really love to hear what some of you have to say on this topic. No specific question here - just an invitation to dialogue.
    sigpic
    "...so encourage each other and build one another up." ~1 Thessalonians 5:11

Originally posted by JardinPrayer View Post
    I spent a couple of hours watching YouTube videos and reading Wikis on this topic over the last week. Obviously, I didn't make a serious study, based on these sources, though I did listen to a few string theorists describe the science that seems to support some potential for the parallel universes. Most of the science made my brain hurt, especially when they started talking about 11 dimensions and membranes, but I could grasp the general concept. But, I got lost when they applied this to predict multiple, parallel universes where each decision we make creates many possible results, each one its own universe. Actually, since the scientists start by defining the universe as that which we can currently observe, I had to make an adjustment to my thinking right off the bat. I managed to absorb enough of the science to have a few good chuckles at the paranormal enthusiasts mixing in the Mandela Effect and time travel into this mix, but I'd really love to hear what some of you have to say on this topic. No specific question here - just an invitation to dialogue.
    Careful on this one, and trying to draw specific conclusions. There are many cosmological models for many scenarios concerning of what lies beyond our universe in the greater cosmos.
    Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Just interested in opening a dialogue, not drawing specific conclusions.
      sigpic

Comment

I know for a fact that there is at least one parallel universe!

My husband and I were staying at a hotel in the States one time, and in the morning, this lady came up to us and started talking to us as if she knew us. We responded somewhat bewilderedly, and she discovered that we weren't who she thought we were.

She said that both of us looked exactly like some business colleagues of hers. Enough so that she thought we were.

I was really weirded out, but by the time we got home, we were back in our own universe, thankfully.

Another time, I was eating lunch in a restaurant just a few miles from my house, and I swear my sister was sitting there at another table. I kept looking at the lady all through the lunch (should have clued in that my REAL sister would have spoken to me......I think....), and finally couldn't stand it any longer and got up and went over to tell the lady that she could be my sister's doppelganger. No, I didn't say "evil twin".......

Besides, that sister lives a couple of hours away from me, and I am pretty sure she wouldn't have visited that close to me without letting me know. But the resemblance was uncanny.

Really strange.......

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

It's a very interesting question. If a particular form of something called chaotic inflation is true, then it's conceivable that there are other sections of the universe with different physical laws and properties.

Comment

Mossy, you bring up an interesting point. As a grief counselor, I have heard many times that people who have lost someone special commonly think they see their departed loved one. This phenomena is attributed to the denial phase of grief; a trick of the mind as it processes the loss. But...[dramatic music]what if that person hasn't yet passed in a parallel universe and is crossing into ours?[/dramatic music]
            sigpic

Comment

"Many Worlds Conjecture" of quantum physica is distinct from the "Multiverse Conjecture"...

http://io9.com/the-9-weirdest-implic....google.com%2F

Comment

Originally posted by JardinPrayer View Post
                Mossy, you bring up an interesting point. As a grief counselor, I have heard many times that people who have lost someone special commonly think they see their departed loved one. This phenomena is attributed to the denial phase of grief; a trick of the mind as it processes the loss. But...[dramatic music]what if that person hasn't yet passed in a parallel universe and is crossing into ours?[/dramatic music]
                Interesting. In reality, I don't believe in alternate universes. It just doesn't fit with scripture, imo.

I have never seen any of my loved ones that have died. I have dreamed about them, but that is not the same thing.

I have, however, seen the last cat we had that died maybe 5 years ago. I swear I see her out of the corner of my eye sometimes.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
                  Interesting. In reality, I don't believe in alternate universes. It just doesn't fit with scripture, . . .
                  I do not believe in multiple universes, but the existence of them would not harm my view of Scripture. The Bible does not tell us about everything, after all.
                  Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
                    I do not believe in multiple universes, but the existence of them would not harm my view of Scripture. The Bible does not tell us about everything, after all.
                    That's why I said in my opinion.

Comment

Yeah, that's another thread for another forum than science. But, I'm possibly leading up to that. It had occurred to me what this might mean for our choice to receive or reject Christ and what the implications would be for our eternal self. But that's not what I want to discuss here. I'm more interested in how you guys wrap your heads around the science that predicts multiple universes (or many worlds, as pointed out above, is different).
                      sigpic

Comment

It gets even more strange:

http://space.mit.edu/home/tegmark/PD...erse_sciam.pdf

Is there a copy of you reading this article? A person who is not you but who lives on
                        a planet called Earth, with misty mountains, fertile fields and
                        sprawling cities, in a solar system with eight other planets? The
                        life of this person has been identical to yours in every respect.
                        But perhaps he or she now decides to put down this article without
                        finishing it, while you read on.

The idea of such an alter ego seems strange and implausible,
                        but it looks as if we will just have to live with it, because it
                        is supported by astronomical observations. The simplest and
                        most popular cosmological model today predicts that you have
                        a twin in a galaxy about 10 to the 1028 meters from here. This
                        distance is so large that it is beyond astronomical, but that does
                        not make your doppelgänger any less real. The estimate is derived
                        from elementary probability and does not even assume
                        speculative modern physics, merely that space is infinite (or at
                        least sufficiently large) in size and almost uniformly filled with
                        matter, as observations indicate. In infinite space, even the most
                        unlikely events must take place somewhere. There are infinitely
                        many other inhabited planets, including not just one but in-
                        finitely many that have people with the same appearance, name
                        and memories as you, who play out every possible permutation
                        of your life choices.

Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                          But it isn't infinite. It is only 14 Billion years old. If it has a beginning it cannot be infinite.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                            But it isn't infinite. It is only 14 Billion years old. If it has a beginning it cannot be infinite.
                            The theory states that what we call the universe is just what we've been able to observe to date. If we accept that as the given definition, it presumes there is something beyond that which we have been able to observe, hence other universes. 14 billion years ago, according to this theory, our 3-dimensional, observable "membrane" of a universe may be the result of colliding universes which exist in dimensions we cannot perceive, causing the Big Bang. What the MIT article is saying is that there is an infinite number of versions of our universe, not that our universe is infinite.
                            sigpic

Comment

I'm agnostic on multiverse scenarios myself.

You're actually a little confused. These are different cosmological theories with entirely different dynamics. First, Inflation is the idea used to explain why the universe is so large, isotropic, flat, and homogeneous. So far it fits the bill and many cosmologists are convinced that it's the theory to explain these issues, but some of us remain open to other ideas. Anyways, inflation is said to have not just happened here, but created a much larger universe were the laws of physics vary in these so called 'pocket universes' (PU); some refer to this as a multiverse. These flavors of inflation are known as Chaotic Inflation and have been championed by lots of theorists.

String theorists were supposed to have derived a theory that explains why the laws of physics are the way they are, but in recent years it's turned into a theory of everything. It's been said that the solutions to String Theory are around 10^500, where each solution represents a possible universe.

The idea of a given set of events occurring in other universe given enough universes, comes from The Many Worlds Interpretation of quantum mechanics, which states that everything that could happen has happened in some other universe due to probability. This is much more difficult to explain because QM is difficult enough for physicists.

String Theory has never been tested or confirmed experimentally, and inflation currently is undergoing more rigorous testing via LISA in it's study of gravity waves. It's unclear how much of this is really science right now or if some if can even be falsified; it maybe it may not be. But there are other theories out there that bundle QM and General relativity like Loop Quantum Gravity, Semi-Classic gravity theories, and even String Theory does not necessarily give you a multiverse scenario.

Right now, just take it all with a healthy dose of skepticism until further evidence comes in.

https://alumni.stanford.edu/get/page...ticle_id=32024
                              Last edited by Sea of red; 08-31-2015, 05:07 PM.

Comment