Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Does God follow the golden rule?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does God follow the golden rule?

I think the answer to this question is no if we look at the OT (eg the flood) or at hell, but perhaps Christians can make the case otherwise (perhaps they could argue that God would want to suffer an eternity in hell for being sinful).

If god does not follow the golden rule, but tell us that we should, does that make him a hypocrite?
    My Blog: http://oncreationism.blogspot.co.uk/

Originally posted by The Pixie View Post

I think the answer to this question is no if we look at the OT (eg the flood) or at hell, but perhaps Christians can make the case otherwise (perhaps they could argue that God would want to suffer an eternity in hell for being sinful).

If god does not follow the golden rule, but tell us that we should, does that make him a hypocrite?
    Nope, any more than we would violate the golden rule by executing a criminal. The golden rule is about personal interaction, how we should generally treat our fellow man, and not about how the State or God deals with law breakers. And one could argue that removing law breakers from civil society prompts peaceful co-existence in a larger sense, which is the ultimate goal of the golden rule.
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
      Nope, any more than we would violate the golden rule by executing a criminal. The golden rule is about personal interaction, how we should generally treat our fellow man, and not about how the State or God deals with law breakers. And one could argue that removing law breakers from civil society prompts peaceful co-existence in a larger sense, which is the ultimate goal of the golden rule.
      I also wonder how far we can take the Golden Rule when it's applied to those who are not intrinsically equals. Wonder if JimL ever applied the Golden Rule to the cow in his Big Mac.

Comment

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
        I also wonder how far we can take the Golden Rule when it's applied to those who are not intrinsically equals. Wonder if JimL ever applied the Golden Rule to the cow in his Big Mac.
        Well, I'm certainly not going to apply it today - Tuesday is my MacDonald night!
        Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

Well, I'm certainly not going to apply it today - Tuesday is my MacDonald night!
          You want fries with that? Supersized?
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
            Why bring JimL into it when Pixie made the post? Am I missing something?

Comment

Originally posted by whag View Post
              Why bring JimL into it when Pixie made the post? Am I missing something?
              Jim brings up the golden rule a lot.

Comment

There's real ambiguity here. We're all culpable for cruelty to animals to some degree, but we also bristle when we read stories about dog and cat abuse.

The amount that we bristle is generally proportional to their cuteness and our experience with them.

Comment

Jim brings up the golden rule a lot.
                  Ah, okay.

Comment

There's real ambiguity here. We're all culpable for cruelty to animals to some degree, but we also bristle when we read stories about dog and cat abuse.

The amount that we bristle is generally proportional to their cuteness and our experience with them.
                    That's probably another thread, Whag, but... yeah, we eat cows but not horses.
                    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                      That's probably another thread, Whag, but... yeah, we eat cows but not horses.
                      Also, cows aren't described as being made in God's image, so it's a sloppy analogy.

Comment

Also, cows aren't described as being made in God's image, so it's a sloppy analogy.
                        I don't think it was intended as a serious argument. Humans were given dominion over all animals - period.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                          I don't think it was intended as a serious argument. Humans were given dominion over all animals - period.
                          Except microorganisms. They have dominion over us.

Comment

Except in the Orient where they eat cats and dogs...

Comment

Except microorganisms. They have dominion over us.
                              Only because everybody was forced to use those antimicrobial hand soaps! Now the bugs win!

Comment