Giving a deadline to find work and to pay rent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Giving a deadline to find work and to pay rent

My brother owns a house and he has a roommate. Several months ago, his roommate lost his job and could no longer afford to pay rent. His roommate is looking for a job. My brother has allowed his roommate to live in his house without paying rent. Moreover, my brother has not given him a deadline to find a job. I told my brother that he should give him a deadline to find a job and to pay rent again. If he does not meet that deadline, then he should be forced to move out. What do you think would be a reasonable deadline? Do you think that the deadline should be stated in writing?

A reasonable deadline would depend on how long the roommate has been without work and living there rent free. A month is quite reasonable unless he's already not paid rent for a month or more.

Yes. If there is no paper and pens handy, grab toilet paper and a crayon. Write it all down. And both parties need to sign it.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
      A reasonable deadline would depend on how long the roommate has been without work and living there rent free. A month is quite reasonable unless he's already not paid rent for a month or more.

Yes. If there is no paper and pens handy, grab toilet paper and a crayon. Write it all down. And both parties need to sign it.
      He has not paid rent for several months.

Comment

Your brother should at the very least have him work some of it off doing things around the house, gardening, painting cutting grass, building stuff, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post

Yeah!
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

What is the job market like? If your brother is sure that the guy is genuinely looking then a work lease agreement might be a better way to go.
            "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment