Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Mt Mckinnali

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mt Mckinnali

Source: NYtimes

President Obama announced on Sunday that Mount McKinley was being renamed Denali, using his executive power to restore an Alaska Native name with deep cultural significance to the tallest mountain in North America.

© Copyright Original Source

read more here: http://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/31/us...ed-denali.html

This wouldn't bother me so much except in 1980 the Dept of interior renamed the whole park Denali Park.
    Its primarily in Alaska known as Denali
    And then there is this one tiny 3 line insertion that tells me his other agenda....

Mr. Obama’s trip to Alaska, where he will spend three days promoting aggressive action to combat climate change, and is part of a series of steps he will make there meant to address the concerns of Alaska Native tribes.

Its one thing to say Sorry and give the mountain back and take away federal lines, its another thing to do it because of an agenda.

BTW Denali Mckinley If I'm talking English Mckinley, If I ever encounter an Inuit I'd say Denali.

This just rubs me the wrong way.
    A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
    George Bernard Shaw

If I understand it right, Denali will emit less greenhouse gas than McKinley

Comment

Originally posted by Catholicity View Post

President Obama announced on Sunday that Mount McKinley was being renamed Denali, using his executive power to restore an Alaska Native name with deep cultural significance to the tallest mountain in North America.

This wouldn't bother me so much except in 1980 the Dept of interior renamed the whole park Denali Park.
      And then there is this one tiny 3 line insertion that tells me his other agenda....

Mr. Obama’s trip to Alaska, where he will spend three days promoting aggressive action to combat climate change, and is part of a series of steps he will make there meant to address the concerns of Alaska Native tribes.

Its one thing to say Sorry and give the mountain back and take away federal lines, its another thing to do it because of an agenda.

BTW Denali Mckinley If I'm talking English Mckinley, If I ever encounter an Inuit I'd say Denali.

I agree. I like the change, but not the way it was changed.
      Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

I've got family in Alaska and visit semi-regularly; it's Denali to just about everybody up there I've talked to, at least. Naming the mountain back is legitimate.

What's the advancement of agenda here? Climate change is impacting native Alaskans pretty heavily and it's a legitimate topic. If anything, Announcing the change back to Denali before the trip "primes the pump" so that reporters cover Obama's speech(es) regarding climate change in Alaska. Nothing wrong with that, especially by the standard of American politics.
        "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / So close to our dwelling place?" — Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

I vote they change it to Mount Jed.

Comment

William McKinley was just another white European male that needs to be expunged from history.
            Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Just don't rename Mt. Whitney. People like that name.

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post
                I've got family in Alaska and visit semi-regularly; it's Denali to just about everybody up there I've talked to, at least. Naming the mountain back is legitimate.

What's the advancement of agenda here? Climate change is impacting native Alaskans pretty heavily and it's a legitimate topic. If anything, Announcing the change back to Denali before the trip "primes the pump" so that reporters cover Obama's speech(es) regarding climate change in Alaska. Nothing wrong with that, especially by the standard of American politics.
                The point isn't the change, the point is the way it was done.
                A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
                George Bernard Shaw

Comment

The point isn't the change, the point is the way it was done.
                  My point was that how it was done wasn't problematic from the standpoint of an "agenda" addressing climate change and specifically addressing the impact of climate change on native Alaskan populations. It's not like this is tied to a voting deal or getting native Alaskans to sign off on a controversial federal program in Alaska. It's tied to Obama going to Alaska to give some speeches on climate change and address native Alaskans' issues. Changing Denali's name back fits right into that and I can't see any ethical trespass.
                  "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / So close to our dwelling place?" — Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
                    Same here. I don't think the name change would have faced much opposition in Congress since the entire Alaskan delegation has supported the change (except maybe from those representing Ohio where McKinley was from) and as already noted the national park has been called Denali for several decades, so I don't know why he didn't simply ask them.

So what's next? Will Obama change the name of Mount Rushmore back to Six Grandfathers next week? Will New York City be informed that from now on they'll be New Amsterdam?

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                      Same here. I don't think the name change would have faced much opposition in Congress since the entire Alaskan delegation has supported the change (except maybe from those representing Ohio where McKinley was from) and as already noted the national park has been called Denali for several decades, so I don't know why he didn't simply ask them.

So what's next? Will Obama change the name of Mount Rushmore back to Six Grandfathers next week? Will New York City be informed that from now on they'll be New Amsterdam?
                      Speaker John Boenher is from the great state of Ohio and has decried the name change, along with other Ohioan Republicans. Asking would not have accomplished much.

ETA: The change back to Six Grandfathers will have to wait until Obama's plans to carve FDR and himself into the rock, alongside full federal funding for the Crazy Horse monument, come to completion during his unprecedented fifth term, of course.
                      Last edited by Sam; 09-01-2015, 03:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
                        I think the change was long over due regardless of how it was changed.
                        Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
                        Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
                        But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Speaker John Boenher is from the great state of Ohio and has decried the name change, along with other Ohioan Republicans. Asking would not have accomplished much.

ETA: The change back to Six Grandfathers will have to wait until Obama's plans to carve FDR and himself into the rock, alongside full federal funding for the Crazy Horse monument, come to completion during his unprecedented fifth term, of course.
                          While I cannot prove it, I strongly suspect that Boenher's opposition would not have amounted to much and he would merely have been one of the few to vote no to such a change. It also seems that Obama's handling of it has added a lot of the fuel to the opposition which would have been much less intense if he had gone through proper channels rather than once again shown that he thinks that presidents "rule."

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                            While I cannot prove it, I strongly suspect that Boenher's opposition would not have amounted to much and he would merely have been one of the few to vote no to such a change. It also seems that Obama's handling of it has added a lot of the fuel to the opposition which would have been much less intense if he had gone through proper channels rather than once again shown that he thinks that presidents "rule."
                            Well, as you said, Alaskans have petitioned to change the name for some time and there's been absolutely no movement on the Congressional scene. Given the fallout, I think it's pretty obvious that the gridlock that has infected so many issues of great importance would have easily extended to this issue, especially with an Ohioan as Speaker. I doubt that Obama asking first and then moving ahead after Congress did nothing would have been viewed with any less anger or derision.

Comment

Well, as you said, Alaskans have petitioned to change the name for some time and there's been absolutely no movement on the Congressional scene.
                              Very different from the president asking Congress for a name change.

Given the fallout, I think it's pretty obvious that the gridlock that has infected so many issues of great importance would have easily extended to this issue, especially with an Ohioan as Speaker.
                              Wet noodles have more backbone than Boenher. He would have quickly folded under minimal pressure like he has repeatedly done before after making a mildly symbolic show of opposition

I doubt that Obama asking first and then moving ahead after Congress did nothing would have been viewed with any less anger or derision.
                              Generally because presidents don't just do what they want to do.

Comment