Announcement

Collapse

Philosophy 201 Guidelines

Cogito ergo sum

Here in the Philosophy forum we will talk about all the "why" questions. We'll have conversations about the way in which philosophy and theology and religion interact with each other. Metaphysics, ontology, origins, truth? They're all fair game so jump right in and have some fun! But remember...play nice!

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Science of Morality

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Science of Morality

It seems this question has quite a bit of controversy for both Atheist and Christians. Arguments from both sides reject that there can be an objective morality, Christians reject a science of morality without God to define give morals a objective standard. Other atheist and agnostics argue that good is relative and that what is good or moral for one person is different for someone else. I reject both of these claims to argue that morality is based on the suffer vs well-being of conscious individuals that exist on a continuum. Causing unjustified suffering among a conscious individual is the definition of an immoral action.

Welcome to Tweb, Alec!
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

So why's this in my area?

Comment

What is your area?

Comment

Originally posted by AlecWelsh View Post
          What is your area?
          Tektonics, the sub-section of the forum where you created this thread. A mod is probably going to move this thread to a more appropriate area of the forum.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrawnus View Post
            Tektonics, the sub-section of the forum where you created this thread. A mod is probably going to move this thread to a more appropriate area of the forum.
            How is it different than the law and morality topic under the same sub section?

Comment

The Tektonics area of the forum is mainly for stuff regarding Tektonics itself, J.P. Holding's apologetics ministry. Your thread would probably fit better in Philosophy 201 or Apologetics 301. Unless you wanted input specifically from Holding himself of course, but since he doesn't involve himself very much in these sorts of topics I don't really know what good it would do you.

You shouldn't create a new thread though, just ask a mod move this one to a more appropriate area (or wait for one to do it of their own accord).

Comment

As to your question of how it's different, the Law and Morality thread was created from an off-topic discussion in the screwball thread that threatened to derail the original thread. It's not an original thread in it's own right, but more of an offshoot of an existing one. If it was an original thread it would probably have been started in a more "appropriate" area.

Comment

Yeah...that.

Comment

It seems this question has quite a bit of controversy for both Atheist and Christians. Arguments from both sides reject that there can be an objective morality, Christians reject a science of morality without God to define give morals a objective standard. Other atheist and agnostics argue that good is relative and that what is good or moral for one person is different for someone else. I reject both of these claims to argue that morality is based on the suffer vs well-being of conscious individuals that exist on a continuum. Causing unjustified suffering among a conscious individual is the definition of an immoral action.
                    Why does it matter if we are nothing more than cosmic accidents and coincidences? And what makes our species so different that we can cause unjust suffering among other species, but not our own?
                    That's what
                    - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                    - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                    - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

I reject both of these claims to argue that morality is based on the suffer vs well-being of conscious individuals that exist on a continuum. Causing unjustified suffering among a conscious individual is the definition of an immoral action.
                      So you claim. How is this "objective"? It looks like it's just your opinion to me.
                      "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

I see right on. Ill move it soon if a mod doesn't

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                          Why does it matter if we are nothing more than cosmic accidents and coincidences? And what makes our species so different that we can cause unjust suffering among other species, but not our own?
                          It matters because if this is the only life we get how we spend it is all that matters, and any individual should be allowed to experience the only life they have with as much opportunity for well-being as they can get.

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
                            So you claim. How is this "objective"? It looks like it's just your opinion to me.
                            I am not sure what part is an opinion. Conscious beings suffer. The point of morality is to reduce suffering among conscious beings and that suffering is not an opinion or relative to individuals.

Comment

It matters because if this is the only life we get how we spend it is all that matters, and any individual should be allowed to experience the only life they have with as much opportunity for well-being as they can get.
                              Why? As I have said before, walk into a random graveyard and tell me if anyone in that ground matters to you. Does it matter to anyone at all if those people were happy, sad, rich or poor? No. Nothing they did mattered.
                              That's what
                              - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                              - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                              - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment