Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Google's Driverless Cars Have a Problem - Humans!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Google's Driverless Cars Have a Problem - Humans!

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/02/te...vers.html?_r=0

MOUNTAIN VIEW, Calif. — Google, a leader in efforts to create driverless cars, has run into an odd safety conundrum: humans.

Last month, as one of Google’s self-driving cars approached a crosswalk, it did what it was supposed to do when it slowed to allow a pedestrian to cross, prompting its “safety driver” to apply the brakes. The pedestrian was fine, but not so much Google’s car, which was hit from behind by a human-driven sedan.

Google’s fleet of autonomous test cars is programmed to follow the letter of the law. But it can be tough to get around if you are a stickler for the rules. One Google car, in a test in 2009, couldn’t get through a four-way stop because its sensors kept waiting for other (human) drivers to stop completely and let it go. The human drivers kept inching forward, looking for the advantage — paralyzing Google’s robot.

It looks like robots will adhere to the letter of the law, while humans tend to fudge, so mixing the two can be a real challenge.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

MOUNTAIN VIEW, Calif. — Google, a leader in efforts to create driverless cars, has run into an odd safety conundrum: humans.

Last month, as one of Google’s self-driving cars approached a crosswalk, it did what it was supposed to do when it slowed to allow a pedestrian to cross, prompting its “safety driver” to apply the brakes. The pedestrian was fine, but not so much Google’s car, which was hit from behind by a human-driven sedan.

Google’s fleet of autonomous test cars is programmed to follow the letter of the law. But it can be tough to get around if you are a stickler for the rules. One Google car, in a test in 2009, couldn’t get through a four-way stop because its sensors kept waiting for other (human) drivers to stop completely and let it go. The human drivers kept inching forward, looking for the advantage — paralyzing Google’s robot.

It looks like robots will adhere to the letter of the law, while humans tend to fudge, so mixing the two can be a real challenge.
    They need to add sharks with laser beams to the google cars.

Comment

When all cars go automation, all humans should have their drivers licenses taken away.
      "Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ― C.S. Lewis, God in the Dock: Essays on Theology (Making of Modern Theology)

Comment

Originally posted by Jesse View Post
        When all cars go automation, all humans should have their drivers licenses taken away.
        Hooray for Big Brother!

Comment

Originally posted by Chrawnus View Post
          Hooray for Big Brother!
          Don't you mean Big Robot?
          "Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ― C.S. Lewis, God in the Dock: Essays on Theology (Making of Modern Theology)

Comment

Originally posted by Jesse View Post
            Don't you mean Big Robot?
            Skynet is upon us.

Comment

The robot car should learn to move into the intersection when the car behind it honks it horn.

Comment

Originally posted by mikewhitney View Post
                The robot car should learn to move into the intersection when the car behind it honks it horn.
                Then it would become a sport - "hey, let's honk and shoot that robot car into the busy intersection!"
                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

When you have an accident with a driverless car who do you exchange information with?
                  "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                    When you have an accident with a driverless car who do you exchange information with?
                    Hal.

hal-2001-a-space-odyssey1.jpg

Comment

Oh. Maybe that's why it kept asking for Dave...
                      "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

I have to say that my biggest problem while driving is also my fellow humans. So i feel sympathy for the machines on this one.
                        "Any sufficiently advanced stupidity is indistinguishable from trolling."

Comment

Originally posted by TheLurch View Post
                          I have to say that my biggest problem while driving is also my fellow humans. So i feel sympathy for the machines on this one.
                          Well, yeah, there's that.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrawnus View Post
                            Skynet is upon us.
                            I hear it uses Intel's Skylake.

Which is the stupidest name for a computer chip ever...

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                              I hear it uses Intel's Skylake.

Which is the stupidest name for a computer chip ever...
                              There is a part of me that hopes they change it to Skynet.

Here is a question, if a robot car parks in a handicap space, will it allow itself to get towed?

Comment