Announcement

Collapse

Ecclesiology 201 Guidelines

Discussion on matters of general mainstream Christian churches. What are the differences between Catholics and protestants? How has the charismatic movement affected the church? Are Southern baptists different from fundamentalist baptists? It is also for discussions about the nature of the church.

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and theists. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions. Additionally, there may be some topics that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine that may be more appropriately placed within Comparative Religions 101.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

The "Emergent Church" -- What exactly is it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The "Emergent Church" -- What exactly is it?

I heard this term a whole lot over the past 10-15 years, but not so much lately. Was this a fad? Anybody here been a part of the "Emergent Church"?

What exactly is it, and does it mean anything to Christianity?
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    I heard this term a whole lot over the past 10-15 years, but not so much lately. Was this a fad? Anybody here been a part of the "Emergent Church"?

I've not been a part of one of them. From what I've read, it seems to be an effort to make Christianity relevent to society. Given the scope and number of churches and leaders, I'm not sure how well it could be summarized. One of the few common points that seem to be there is a deemphasis on doctrine.

My personal vote: I'll go with a fad.
    "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment

Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post
      I've not been a part of one of them. From what I've read, it seems to be an effort to make Christianity relevent to society. Given the scope and number of churches and leaders, I'm not sure how well it could be summarized. One of the few common points that seem to be there is a deemphasis on doctrine.

My personal vote: I'll go with a fad.

Perhaps one could also say a balancing of doctrine with "right living"?
      (right living. = how a person lives is more important than what he or she believes. orthopraxy that flows from orthodoxy)

fad or not, it would be great if more people paid attention to creating a better world.......

Comment

Originally posted by siam View Post
        Perhaps one could also say a balancing of doctrine with "right living"?
        (right living. = how a person lives is more important than what he or she believes. orthopraxy that flows from orthodoxy)

fad or not, it would be great if more people paid attention to creating a better world.......
        I was trying to avoid this but deemphasizing doctrine can mean changing it. Rob Bell is I belive considered one of the "founders" of the Emergent church group.

By fad, I think I mean the Emergent group will make the same discovery that Willow Creek did a few years ago. They'll find they have a great way to get people in the door and are lousy at building mature Christians.

I agree it would be great if people would work to make a better world. I'm not holding my breath that its going to be happening.
        "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment

I heard this term a whole lot over the past 10-15 years, but not so much lately. Was this a fad? Anybody here been a part of the "Emergent Church"? What exactly is it, and does it mean anything to Christianity?
          It's a new, postmodern generation of liberals, carving a distinct identity out of the evangelical church which they are in the process of rejecting. If you're looking for some reading material, start here:

http://www.amazon.com/Becoming-Conve.../dp/0310259479

Comment

Thanks, RB
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

A small note to the mods, siam is Muslim.

Siam, the guideline for this section indicates this is for Christians only to post in.
              Does he who supplies the Spirit to you and works miracles among you do so by works of the law, or by hearing with faith? -Galatians 3:5

Comment

Originally posted by Pentecost View Post
                A small note to the mods, siam is Muslim.

Siam, the guideline for this section indicates this is for Christians only to post in.
                Good point. It's going to be a lot harder to police that issue with the new forum format.

Comment

We are working at getting faith designations back in place.

This involves nagging Chrs.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
                    We are working at getting faith designations back in place.

This involves nagging Chrs.
                    We have them. Chrs just needs to work on getting them display on the profiles.
                    "It's evolution; every time you invent something fool-proof, the world invents a better fool."
                    -Unknown

"Preach the gospel, and if necessary use words." - Most likely St.Francis

I find that evolution is the best proof of God.
                    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                    I support the :
                    sigpic

Comment

My experience with it is limited, so take what I'm about to say with a grain of salt.

AFAICT, it's a fad. An emergent Christian is one who asks difficult questions (sometimes very good questions), ignores the answers given by more mainstream brethren, and then abandons the orthodox doctrine wholesale purely in light of the question, which they never found an answer to anyway. (A good example of this would be the doctrine of hell (or annihilationism, since that seems within the realm of orthodoxy): they ask, "but how could a loving God send people to hell?" and then dismiss the doctrine completely, ignoring the fact that mainstream Christianity has, in fact, answered this question already.) They seem to largely eschew doctrinal statements, and it's consequently somewhat difficult to find out what they actually believe on any given point of doctrine.

That was a little bit hyperbolic, but there's my opinion. I agree with Thoughtful Monk and RBerman. I haven't been impressed with what I've seen.
                      I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

Originally posted by Irate Canadian View Post
                        We have them. Chrs just needs to work on getting them display on the profiles.

Thanks, IC!

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

This may or may not be a fair observation, but I've seemed to notice an environment among people with an "emergent" bent where asking questions is encouraged (which is all well and good), but where firm answers are discouraged.

I think the term "progressive Christianity" is being used more nowadays to mean about the same thing. I do think there are some good ideas that come from this movement. The push to apply OT principles on treatment of immigrants to modern day America's situation is one. As a whole, though, it's not a movement I would want to identify with.
                          "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

I believe "emergent Church" main concern is societal change rather than salvation.

Comment

Originally posted by Pinoy View Post
                              I believe "emergent Church" main concern is societal change rather than salvation.
                              This came from a legitimate observation that the church at large, at least in the US, often doesn't take it seriously enough (it would be difficult to argue Jesus did not call for some level of societal change from his disciples) but the pendulum seems to swing way back too far the other way in de-emphasizing salvation/the gospel.
                              "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X