Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Regarding a Young Earth.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Regarding a Young Earth.

Often it seems most debates involving a young earth creation centers around disproving evolution or a Big Bang. I am interested in another aspect. Working under the assumption that evolution,abiogenesis, and the Big Bang are false, what evidence supports a young earth?

I want to examine all pro YEC arguments specifically on the merit of them supporting a young earth. I think if we examine these arguments for what they are we can actually establish the veracity of these claims.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
      George Bernard Shaw

Comment

This has to be a troll post.

There's no evidence for a young earth. There's actually negative evidence for a young earth.

Comment

Good luck.

Might as swell shoot spitwads at an aircraft carrier.

If you do an honest study you MIGHT find 0.0001% of the evidence supporting a young Earth but is also explained by an old cosmos, while the other 99.9999% is only explicable with an old cosmos.

But if this will bring back Jorge, it might worth it for the entertainment value.

Comment

Originally posted by DanieltheDragon View Post
            Often it seems most debates involving a young earth creation centers around disproving evolution or a Big Bang. I am interested in another aspect. Working under the assumption that evolution,abiogenesis, and the Big Bang are false, what evidence supports a young earth?

I want to examine all pro YEC arguments specifically on the merit of them supporting a young earth. I think if we examine these arguments for what they are we can actually establish the veracity of these claims.
            Not sure I smell what you're cooking.

Are you a Young Earth Atheist?

YEA!!!??

Comment

Originally posted by klaus54 View Post
              Not sure I smell what you're cooking.

Are you a Young Earth Atheist?

YEA!!!??
              By any means no. On another debate forum the science section gets heavily bombarded by young creationists. Repeating the same arguments. Often these arguments are soley directed at attempting to discredit specifically evolution or the Big Bang. I have not encountered an argument that attempts to establish an actual old age other than "I believe it so".

When I posed this question I got a lot of empty promises and no responses. It would lead me to suspect that even creationists on some level acknowledge that there is no argument that actually establishes a young age earth.

I was referred here by another user who said I would get an answer to the question.

Comment

By any means no. On another debate forum the science section gets heavily bombarded by young creationists. Repeating the same arguments. Often these arguments are soley directed at attempting to discredit specifically evolution or the Big Bang. I have not encountered an argument that attempts to establish an actual old age other than "I believe it so".

When I posed this question I got a lot of empty promises and no responses. It would lead me to suspect that even creationists on some level acknowledge that there is no argument that actually establishes a young age earth.

I was referred here by another user who said I would get an answer to the question.
                Ah, I see. Sorry for misunderstanding.

Young Earthers here have been pretty much been wolf-packed off this forum by folks with at least a modicum of scientific knowledge. When they DO post, it's same old drivel, with an occasional Gish Gallop.

Their argument is almost entirely based on their Genesis interpretation - "The Bible sez it, I believe, end of story."

At least that's what their boils down to after you wade through the PRATTS.

BTW, Welcome to TWEB!!!

Comment

Originally posted by klaus54 View Post
                  Good luck.

Might as swell shoot spitwads at an aircraft carrier.

If you do an honest study you MIGHT find 0.0001% of the evidence supporting a young Earth but is also explained by an old cosmos, while the other 99.9999% is only explicable with an old cosmos.

But if this will bring back Jorge, it might worth it for the entertainment value.
                  Are you sure that an honest study MIGHT find 0.0001% of the evidence supporting a young earth ? I believe your being too generous.
                  Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
                  Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
                  But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Apologies for thinking you're a troll.

I agree. YEC largely recognizes the only bullets it has are 1) Evolution is wrong and 2) the Big Bang is wrong. Therefore, it spends most of its energy combating (albeit poorly) those two theories. It'll often conflate geology and evolution into one area as well. There is no evidence for a young Earth at all. Most so-called "evidences" fail.

Comment

YEC adherents believe that the Bible is wholly accurate and "dictated" directly by God. With that in mind, you would find yourself confronted with the only truth they will acknowledge even in the face of overwhelming evidence to the contrary. Given that they can be faced with ineluctable truth - in black and white - in the Bible itself - that the Bible contains errors, they will still deny that the Bible can be flawed.
                      They claim that particular verses "prove" the Bible can't be flawed in any way - and they can't acknowledge that the verses they point to say no such thing.

YEC argument is single: The genealogical trace of When A was so old, he begat B, When B was so old, he begat C, When C was so old, he begat D. The trace is stated as an unbroken succession, and being followed gives an age for the Earth of roughly 6000 years.
                      Last edited by tabibito; 09-03-2015, 01:32 AM.
                      1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                      ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
                      Scripture before Tradition:
                      but that won't prevent others from
                      taking it upon themselves to deprive you
                      of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

I see lol, feels like looking for the holy grail of YEC arguments

Comment

Originally posted by tabibito View Post
                          YEC adherents believe that the Bible is wholly accurate and "dictated" directly by God.
                          In all fairness, I don't know of any YECs who believe the Bible was '"dictated" directly by God'. There may be some, but I think this is an overly general statement.
                          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

The Radioisotopes and the Age of The Earth (RATE) group attempted that, especially Humphreys' work with zircons and Baumgardner's work on 14C. http://tinyurl.com/qyz9l5y, http://www.icr.org/rate2/. As usual their efforts were fatally flawed; they posited Accclerated Nuclear Decay (AND) as an explanation, but acknowledged that the fatal heat and radiation release issues were not solved. They shut down in 2005 and there's no evidence of any further work. There are lots of critiques on the web, but the most comprehensive is at http://www.asa3.org/ASA/education/origins/rate.htm and http://www.asa3.org/ASA/education/origins/rate.htm.
                            Last edited by JonF; 09-03-2015, 07:14 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                              In all fairness, I don't know of any YECs who believe the Bible was '"dictated" directly by God'. There may be some, but I think this is an overly general statement.
                              That is why I said "dictated" and not dictated.
                              1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                              ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
                              Scripture before Tradition:
                              but that won't prevent others from
                              taking it upon themselves to deprive you
                              of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment