Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Alien critter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alien critter

Now for something a bit lighter. Anyone have any idea what this thing might be?

Source: EXCLUSIVE: Scientists baffled after mysterious "alien" corpse found in Russia

RUSSIAN scientists are said to be baffled by the discovery of a small "alien creature" on the banks of a river near a major nuclear power plant.

0000000000lacr.jpg
    Alien hunters are excited by the creature

Local news reports said the corpse with a "mysterious skull" was found by two residents next to the River Kovashi, on Sunday, in the Russian town of Sosnovy Bor, a town built in 1958 to serve the Leningrad Nuclear Power Plant.

It is said that the locals, who spotted it by chance, initially believed it could be a mutant chicken embroyo that had been discarded.

However, local experts have been so far unable to say what it is.

One researcher was quoted as saying: "It seems that this body is neither fish nor fowl - this creature has a mysterious skull, no neck and wings."

The body was also looked at by experts from the Institute of Biophysics in Krasnoyarsk, who said it was impossible to make a quick identification.

Biologist Yegor Zadereev said: "Extensive studies are needed to determine what kind of creature or organism it is."

It is thought it will be sent to Moscow for further tests.

But Alien investigators are already convinced it is of extra terrestrial origins.

Scott C waring, who edits UFO Sightings Daily, said: "This tiny alien body was found near a river in Russia and has no resemblance to any animal known.

"Russian scientists are confused over what it could be and said they need to wait for the results of the tests, which are probably DNA I assume."

Source

© Copyright Original Source

Others figure that the creature could be a product of teratogenic mutation due to nuclear contamination from the nearby nuclear power plant after all the plant does have a long history of fire accidents and spills and several workers have died at the plant due to various accidents.

But as we all "know" mutated critters found near nuclear power plants have three eyes

giphy.gif tumblr_lqk9o6RkuQ1qfo0k1o1_400.gif

So the only possible answer is of course

284374f558f572ff33.jpg

After all it does kinda look like a dead baby Alien

0000000000lacr4.jpg 0000000000lacr3.jpg

So anyone want to venture any guesses?
    Last edited by rogue06; 09-02-2015, 04:35 PM.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

DNA test results should answer the mystery. I wonder if we'll ever see a follow up story. As for guesses, er, I have none.
    sigpic
    "...so encourage each other and build one another up." ~1 Thessalonians 5:11

Comment

Its a chicken
      A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
      George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Russkie hoax?

Comment

Well...

336112.jpg
          "Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ― C.S. Lewis, God in the Dock: Essays on Theology (Making of Modern Theology)

Comment

A dinosaur embryo.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
              A dinosaur embryo.
              It's a baby Seasquatch.

Comment

Tassman's offspring?
                Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Now that's just inappropriate.

Still made me chuckle a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                    A dinosaur embryo.
                    So you think its a chicken too?

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
                      It's a baby Seasquatch.

According to Sparko you'd be our resident expert on the topic

Comment

Originally posted by Chrawnus View Post
                        Now that's just inappropriate.
                        It was a term of endearment!
                        Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

handfish.jpg
                          1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                          ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
                          Scripture before Tradition:
                          but that won't prevent others from
                          taking it upon themselves to deprive you
                          of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Originally posted by tabibito View Post
                            [ATTACH=CONFIG]9346[/ATTACH]
                            That looks a little bit like a frogfish only less ugly

Frogfish6.jpg Frogfish-1024x768.jpg
                            But they're a type of anglerfish that inhabit tropical and subtropical parts of oceans which, last I heard, Russian rivers near Leningrad/St. Petersburg which is on the Baltic Sea doesn't qualify as.

A type of anglerfish with a large skull is the humpback anglerfish found in the deep parts of tropical and subtropical oceans.
                            qO4l-Qj3Hy0.jpg

But I think the problem with identifying it with a fish is that this Russian critter appears to have a limb that ends with talons of some sort
                            Last edited by rogue06; 09-03-2015, 11:27 AM.

Comment

From a column in the Washington Post:

Source: The ‘alien’ found in a Russian nuclear power plant is not an alien, guys

Someone found a weird, shriveled animal corpse near a Russian nuclear power plant, so now it's an alien. Seriously, Internet?

[Sorry, there probably isn’t life on Rosetta’s comet — even if ‘scientists’ said so]

Adding fuel to the fire, unfortunately, is a Russian biologist. Yegor Zadereev has announced -- quite reasonably -- that he isn't sure what kind of animal the decrepit little creature is. That's really not surprising, because:

1. Not every biologist has encyclopedic knowledge of every organism that might conceivably show up in their town.

2. This little critter has clearly gone through quite a bit of decay, further confusing its physiology.

3. It's even possible, given its proximity to a nuclear power plant, that the organism has radiation-related mutations -- though we'd obviously hope this wouldn't be the case, given the implications that would have for the safety of the plant.

4. Even to a barely-trained eye (read: my eye) it looks fairly embryonic. In other words, it's quite possibly a shriveled up chicken embryo, or something of that nature, and shriveled up embryos are as weird looking as you'd expect.

5. Who knows -- maybe it's a new species! A whopping average of 15,000 new species are discovered each year. Granted, most of these are insects and bacteria and other things more likely to escape notice than a weird winged thing in Russia, but it could happen. And it's a lot more likely than aliens.

[This tiny animal can survive basically anything, including the vacuum of space]

So yes, Zadereev has been quoted as saying that extensive testing will be needed to identify the species. But that does not mean he thinks it's an alien.

And even if he does think it's an alien, he's wrong. If this is our first contact with an extraterrestrial species, I'll eat my hat.

[After 24 years, this man came to a really sad conclusion about the Loch Ness monster]

This happens periodically: Something a little weird is found, scientists are "puzzled" over it, and the conspiracy theorists go nuts. Let me tell you a little secret, friends -- scientists are puzzled by a lot of things. Solving puzzles is basically a scientist's entire job. When a scientist isn't willing to come straight out and say "aha, that thing is definitely a chicken fetus that's been rotting in the water for six weeks" it's just because they're more careful about jumping to assumptions than, say, the people who blog about aliens are.

And if you still want to believe, here's one last reminder -- This happens all the time. "Alien" corpses make international news all the time. Two incidents in particular come to mind.

In 2009, some teenagers in Panama claimed to have found an alien corpse. It was pretty freaky:

...and it was a dead, bloated sloth.

And back in 2003, scientists found a tiny, unusual corpse in the Atacama desert in Chile. What could it possibly be? Definitely an alien. Until the DNA evidence came back showing that it was definitely human -- and probably just suffered from some profound defect.

But DNA evidence actually failed to stop the "definitely an alien" rumors on that little guy, and I'm sure Russia's weird baby chicken won't be any different.

Source

© Copyright Original Source

I remember one such "alien" discovery back in 2008 which stirred up a lot of controversy and became known as the "Montauk Monster"

hqdefault.jpg

But it was subsequently identified as being a raccoon

montauk-monster-is-raccoonsmall-300x224.jpg

Comment