Announcement

Collapse

Health Science 101 Guidelines

Greetings! Welcome to Health Science.

Here's where we talk about the latest fad diets, the advantages of vegetarianism, the joy of exercise and good health. Like everywhere else at Tweb our decorum rules apply.

This is a place to exchange ideas and network with other health conscience folks, this isn't a forum for heated debate.
See more
See less

Bananas: Good for the Tummy ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bananas: Good for the Tummy ?

l have had a lot of trouble lately keeping my meds down. I found that eating Vienna Sausages immediately after helped. I tried a banana and it works even better. I don't get sick at all.

Are bananas good for stomach aud ailments ?
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Bananas actually give me a stomach ache.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
      l have had a lot of trouble lately keeping my meds down. I found that eating Vienna Sausages immediately after helped. I tried a banana and it works even better. I don't get sick at all.

Bananas have a long had a reputation of being good for treating stomach aches and digestive disorders. According to an article in Shape magazine:

Source: 7 Foods to Ease an Upset Stomach

Bananas

There's a reason bananas remain a recommended energy booster for marathon runners: bananas are easily digestible and generally do not upset the stomach. The fruit is actually known for helping with stomach issues since they contain pectin, which helps to naturally firm bowel movements.

© Copyright Original Source

Food Matters says that bananas aid in digestion.

Source: 25 Powerful Reasons to Eat Bananas

9. Rich in pectin, bananas aid digestion and gently chelate toxins and heavy metals from the body.
      10. Bananas act as a prebiotic, stimulating the growth of friendly bacteria in the bowel. They also produce digestive enzymes to assist in absorbing nutrients.
      11. Constipated? High fiber in bananas can help normalize bowel motility.
      12. Got the runs? Bananas are soothing to the digestive tract and help restore lost electrolytes after diarrhoea.
      13. Bananas are a natural antacid, providing relief from acid reflux, heartburn and GERD.
      14. Bananas are the only raw fruit that can be consumed without distress to relieve stomach ulcers by coating the lining of the stomach against corrosive acids.

In a column in the Athens Banner-Herald (the town where the University of Georgia is located) the question was asked "Do bananas harm or help the stomach?" The answer is interesting:

Source: People's Pharmacy

Ripe bananas have a pH of about 5, making them a mildly acidic food. That does not mean that bananas cause heartburn or reflux.

Decades ago, Indian researchers tested banana powder and found it helpful for relieving symptoms of indigestion (The Lancet, March 10, 1990). More recently, animal research demonstrates that banana extract helps heal drug-induced ulcers (BMC Complementary and Alternative Medicine online, Nov. 5, 2013). The banana extract actually worked better than the acid-suppressing drug omeprazole.

None of these are exactly authoritative although the last cites an article in the medical journal Lancet so take that into account.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Bananas are good for improving your sodium/potassium balance, which is a good thing.

I tend to eat them when taking pills, because they tend to make the pills go down easy.
        Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
        sigpic
        I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

But they give ME a stomach ache.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
            But they give ME a stomach ache.
            You're Canuckistani. They ain't normal people.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post

Therefore, in your case, in the US Americas, such as, yes.
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I can't eat bananas. Doc says they are too high in potassium and he wants to keep my potassium levels down.

Comment

I heard the Cavendish banana (the only variety widely eaten) may be endangered. I hope they can figure something out.
                  "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                    Bananas have a long had a reputation of being good for treating stomach aches and digestive disorders. According to an article in Shape magazine:

Source: 7 Foods to Ease an Upset Stomach

Bananas

There's a reason bananas remain a recommended energy booster for marathon runners: bananas are easily digestible and generally do not upset the stomach. The fruit is actually known for helping with stomach issues since they contain pectin, which helps to naturally firm bowel movements.

Food Matters says that bananas aid in digestion.

Source: 25 Powerful Reasons to Eat Bananas

9. Rich in pectin, bananas aid digestion and gently chelate toxins and heavy metals from the body.
                    10. Bananas act as a prebiotic, stimulating the growth of friendly bacteria in the bowel. They also produce digestive enzymes to assist in absorbing nutrients.
                    11. Constipated? High fiber in bananas can help normalize bowel motility.
                    12. Got the runs? Bananas are soothing to the digestive tract and help restore lost electrolytes after diarrhoea.
                    13. Bananas are a natural antacid, providing relief from acid reflux, heartburn and GERD.
                    14. Bananas are the only raw fruit that can be consumed without distress to relieve stomach ulcers by coating the lining of the stomach against corrosive acids.

In a column in the Athens Banner-Herald (the town where the University of Georgia is located) the question was asked "Do bananas harm or help the stomach?" The answer is interesting:

Source: People's Pharmacy

Ripe bananas have a pH of about 5, making them a mildly acidic food. That does not mean that bananas cause heartburn or reflux.

Decades ago, Indian researchers tested banana powder and found it helpful for relieving symptoms of indigestion (The Lancet, March 10, 1990). More recently, animal research demonstrates that banana extract helps heal drug-induced ulcers (BMC Complementary and Alternative Medicine online, Nov. 5, 2013). The banana extract actually worked better than the acid-suppressing drug omeprazole.

None of these are exactly authoritative although the last cites an article in the medical journal Lancet so take that into account.
                    Ooh! Number 14 makes sense! I have a lot of trouble with ulcers.

Thanks!
                    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                      Bananas are good for improving your sodium/potassium balance, which is a good thing.

I tend to eat them when taking pills, because they tend to make the pills go down easy.
                      How so?

And thanks!

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                        I can't eat bananas. Doc says they are too high in potassium and he wants to keep my potassium levels down.
                        Aww...

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

I think I have a slight allergy to bananas. They cut open my lip really badly when I eat them raw. Imagine having paper cuts on your lips, that's basically what they do.

Comment

Then don't eat them raw!!!!

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
                              I think I have a slight allergy to bananas. They cut open my lip really badly when I eat them raw. Imagine having paper cuts on your lips, that's basically what they do.
                              Wow... that's hard to imagine, but I have seen my wife's lips swell up almost immediately when she accidentally ingests some component of shellfish. (sometimes, people will include shrimp or other shellfish in a salad or other food without identifying it as such)

The next step, if she doesn't immediately take her meds, is her throat closing up.
                              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X