Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Black Lives Threaten

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Black Lives Threaten

This is getting out of hand.

http://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2015/0...ata-residents/

black lives threaten.jpg
    Last edited by Cow Poke; 09-03-2015, 01:33 PM.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

[ATTACH=CONFIG]9359[/ATTACH]
    If a threat from an anonymous Tweeter using the Black Lives Matter hashtag implicates the entire movement, can the same be said about the people who defended George Zimmermann, given Dylan Roof's manifesto? Or those who agree with Trump regarding immigration, given the assault on the homeless Hispanic man by two men who justified their attack by referencing him?
    "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / So close to our dwelling place?" — Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post
      If a threat from an anonymous Tweeter using the Black Lives Matter hashtag implicates the entire movement, can the same be said about the people who defended George Zimmermann, given Dylan Roof's manifesto? Or those who agree with Trump regarding immigration, given the assault on the homeless Hispanic man by two men who justified their attack by referencing him?
      The movement sprung up because its members think you should allow blacks to beat you to death instead of shooting them in self defense. This threat alone isn't what implicates the entire movement, the movement's roots implicate it in everything, from this tweet to Dylan Roof himself, who was simply responding to an existing declaration of racial war.
      "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

But it isn't just folks attempting to glom onto the name Black Lives Matter.

Last month when members from the Seattle Chapter of Black Lives Matter interrupted a speech by Bernie Sanders (considered by some to be a civil rights activist) and took the microphone from him to denounce him and his supporters as white supremacists the operator of a Facebook page called "Black Lives Matter: Seattle," Nikki Stephens, issued an apology to Sanders and his supporters saying that those protesters didn't represent the group. She was quickly denounced by members of the Seattle Chapter and even threatened for having apologized.

And by now I'm sure you're familiar with the Black Lives Matter chapter in Minnesota leading a march while chanting “Pigs in a blanket, fry 'em like bacon” -- calling for the death of police officers. Of course the leaders is now pretending that this was meant to be "playful."

The fact is there most definitely is a violent element in the Black Lives Matter movement.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post

Last month when members from the Seattle Chapter of Black Lives Matter interrupted a speech by Bernie Sanders (considered by some to be a civil rights activist) and took the microphone from him to denounce him and his supporters as white supremacists the operator of a Facebook page called "Black Lives Matter: Seattle," Nikki Stephens, issued an apology to Sanders and his supporters saying that those protesters didn't represent the group. She was quickly denounced by members of the Seattle Chapter and even threatened for having apologized.

And by now I'm sure you're familiar with the Black Lives Matter chapter in Minnesota leading a march while chanting “Pigs in a blanket, fry 'em like bacon” -- calling for the death of police officers. Of course the leaders is now pretending that this was meant to be "playful."

The fact is there most definitely is a violent element in the Black Lives Matter movement.
          The question is whether that element defines the movement. A big part of deciding that would be just how pervasive such behavior is. I'm familiar with the "Pigs in a blanket" chant, which was either made by leaders of the chapter or by other protesters, depending on the source. The Bernie Sanders event was not appropriate but it's hardly something that should get put into the list of violent behavior or incitement. This tweet isn't even affiliated with a BlackLivesMatter group; it's just an anonymous Tweeter.

We all know that we find these crackpots absolutely everywhere and there's a violent element to every single movement. The question is whether the movement's general aims and rhetoric match up with the violent element's and to what extent they do so. In the case of BlackLivesMatter, it's ridiculous to argue that the movement is at all about inciting violence against police. These things are not acceptable at all but they are no more indicative of the movement than what goes through Twitter or Reddit every single day.
          "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / So close to our dwelling place?" — Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

The question is whether that element defines the movement. A big part of deciding that would be just how pervasive such behavior is. I'm familiar with the "Pigs in a blanket" chant, which was either made by leaders of the chapter or by other protesters, depending on the source. The Bernie Sanders event was not appropriate but it's hardly something that should get put into the list of violent behavior or incitement. This tweet isn't even affiliated with a BlackLivesMatter group; it's just an anonymous Tweeter.
            An interesting take considering how the news media would circle around the fringes of Tea Party rallies looking for a nut case that they could portray as a typical representative of the movement. That "Pigs in a blanket" was chanted by those holding the banner leading the march and the head of the protest was on MSNBC acknowledging that they were saying it but now after the deaths of some police officers is attempting to portray this call for murder as being merely "playful."

I know its Fox News, which means it just must be a lie, but as you can see for
            yourself it was those leading the march who were chanting it.

I mentioned the Bernie Sanders incident because of how the local chapter reacted when one of their leaders apologized -- with threats.

And the issuer of the Tweet is no longer anonymous. He is Carlos Anthony Hollins age 20 from Waldorf, Maryland. It will be interested to see if he does indeed have any association with Black Lives Matter (BLM) or was he just using their name.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

[ATTACH=CONFIG]9359[/ATTACH]
              Nice - that's 15 miles from my house.
              Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
              sigpic
              I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post

Sam has never met a liberal cause he didn't like.
                Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

If a threat from an anonymous Tweeter using the Black Lives Matter hashtag implicates the entire movement...
                  Sammy, it appears you think the Chief of Police is too dumb to have done some checking as to the validity of this threat. Just like a liberal - blame the cops first.
                  The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Perhaps Jaecp will stop by to brag that he marched with these guys just like he did with the Occupy Movement.

Comment

If a threat from an anonymous Tweeter using the Black Lives Matter hashtag....
                      It appears from the La Plata Police facebook page that this "anonymous Tweeter" is no longer anonymous....

Source: La Plata Police Facebook page

THREATS MADE AGAINST THE
                      CITIZENS OF LA PLATA
                      ***UPDATE***

UPDATE: The La Plata Police Department identified the individual who tweeted the threat against La Plata residents. An arrest warrant has been obtained for Threats of Mass Violence. The arrest warrant was issued for:

HOLLINS, Carlos Anthony B/M/6-02/140/Black Hair/Brown Eyes/D.O.B. 2/2/1995 of Waldorf, Maryland.

At 2047 hours, Mr. HOLLINS was taken into custody without incident by the Charles County Sheriff’s Office in Waldorf.

On September 2, 2015 at approximately 4:43 P.M., the La Plata Police Department was alerted to a threat of violence against La Plata residents that was made on social media. The agency is working with allied law enforcement agencies to establish the creditability of the threat and the identity of the individual. The tweet read, “IM NOT GONNA STAND FOR THIS NO. MORE. TONIGHT WE PURGE! KILL ALL THE WHITE PPL IN THE TOWN OF LA PLATA”

More information will be forthcoming. The Department has added extra officers to patrol in an effort to protect the public.

© Copyright Original Source

Comment

Sammy, it appears you think the Chief of Police is too dumb to have done some checking as to the validity of this threat. Just like a liberal - blame the cops first.
                        The validity of the threat wasn't called into question, the association with the BlackLivesMatter movement was.

Comment

The validity of the threat wasn't called into question, the association with the BlackLivesMatter movement was.
                          Ah, he wasn't a member of their board of directors, eh?

From the cite in the OP -- "The tweet reads, “IM NOT GONNA STAND FOR THIS NO. MORE. TONIGHT WE PURGE! KILL ALL THE WHITE PPL IN THE TOWN OF LAPLATA #BlackLivesMatter.”""

What, exactly, does somebody have to do to be "associated with" the BlackLivesMatter movement, Sam?
                          Last edited by Cow Poke; 09-03-2015, 04:34 PM.

Comment

Ah, he wasn't a member of their board of directors, eh?

From the cite in the OP -- "The tweet reads, “IM NOT GONNA STAND FOR THIS NO. MORE. TONIGHT WE PURGE! KILL ALL THE WHITE PPL IN THE TOWN OF LAPLATA #BlackLivesMatter.”"
                            And you can read my previous posts dealing with the use of the hashtag. Don't falsely accuse people; nowhere did I "blame the cops first" or belittle the potential threat.

Comment

And you can read my previous posts dealing with the use of the hashtag. Don't falsely accuse people; nowhere did I "blame the cops first" or belittle the potential threat.
                              Let's see what your first post was....

Your jackassery in trying to equate a situation where the deaths of police officer are being called for, and cops, INDEED, are being targeted and killed --- and you try to equate that to....

Comment