Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Is fear a good reason to become Christian

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
    What makes you think that ‘all (is) fulfilled’?
    Christians get their disrespect for God’s Law by putting Paul ahead of Jesus.
    The "all" referred to is the completion of the messiah's mission, if the letter to the Hebrews is to be believed. And I believe Jesus' words, "It is finished", when he was crucified are relevant to the matter - though I won't ask anyone else to subscribe to the belief.

That Paul authored the letter to the Hebrews is highly unlikely, according to the majority consensus of scholars.
    1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
    ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
    Scripture before Tradition:
    but that won't prevent others from
    taking it upon themselves to deprive you
    of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Originally posted by Jichard View Post
      So I'm curious: Is fear of death a good reason to be Christian?
      In and of itself? No. But as a catalyst to put one on the road to repentance and reconcilliation with God? It's as good a reason as any.
      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
        In and of itself? No. But as a catalyst to put one on the road to repentance and reconcilliation with God? It's as good a reason as any.
        Only if it's true but there's no good reason to think that, so you're left with a debilitating neurosis.
        “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

Originally posted by Tassman View Post
          Only if it's true but there's no good reason to think that, so you're left with a debilitating neurosis.
          Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
          But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
          Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by tabibito View Post
            The "all" referred to is the completion of the messiah's mission, if the letter to the Hebrews is to be believed. And I believe Jesus' words, "It is finished", when he was crucified are relevant to the matter - though I won't ask anyone else to subscribe to the belief.

That Paul authored the letter to the Hebrews is highly unlikely, according to the majority consensus of scholars.
            “ … until everything is accomplished.”

“Therefore anyone who sets aside one of the least of these commands and teaches others accordingly will be called least in the kingdom of heaven, but whoever practices and teaches these commands will be called great in the kingdom of heaven.” – Matthew 5: 19

“[In the past, the idea that "Christ brought the Law to an end by fulfilling it" has been the traditional rationale of why Christians are not obligated to keep the laws of the Old Testament. We overlook the fact that in Acts 15, the early church declared that Gentiles were not obligated to convert to Judaism by being circumcised and taking on the covenant of Torah that was given to Israel. They are told instead that they must simply observe the three most basic laws against idolatry, sexual immorality and murder, the minimal observance required of Gentile God-fearers.8 The reason Christians have not been required to observe the Torah was not because it has ended, but because we are Gentiles.]”

…..
            “[The question then becomes, if the Torah is God's instructions for how to live, then are Gentiles entirely excluded from its wonderful truths? Surprisingly, in both Romans and Galatians, after Paul has spent a lot of time arguing against their need to observe the Torah, he actually answers this question by speaking about how they can "fulfill the Law." He says:

Let no debt remain outstanding, except the continuing debt to love one another, for he who loves his fellowman has fulfilled the law. The commandments, "Do not commit adultery," "Do not murder," "Do not steal," "Do not covet," and whatever other commandment there may be, are summed up in this one rule: "Love your neighbor as yourself." Love does no harm to its neighbor. Therefore love is the fulfillment of the law. (Rom. 13:8-10)

For the whole law is fulfilled in one word, "You shall love your neighbor as yourself." (Gal. 5:14; NASB)
            If Paul is using first idiomatic sense of "fulfill the Torah" discussed above, he is saying that love is the supreme interpretation of the Torah - the ultimate summation of everything that God has taught in the Scriptures. He is reiterating Jesus' key teaching about loving God and neighbor that says "All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments" (Matt. 22:40). The two laws about love are not just more important than the rest, they are actually the grand summation of it all. A later rabbi put it this way: "Love your neighbor as yourself - this is the very essence (klal gadol) of the Torah." 8 Love is the overriding principle that shapes how all laws should be obeyed. ]”

http://www.egrc.net/articles/directo...ctor_1006.html
            “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
            “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
            “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment