Announcement

Collapse

Christianity 201 Guidelines

orthodox Christians only.

Discussion on matters of general mainstream evangelical Christian theology that do not fit within Theology 201. Have some spiritual gifts ceased today? Is the KJV the only viable translation for the church today? In what sense are the books of the bible inspired and what are those books? Church government? Modern day prophets and apostles?

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and Christians. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” or "orthodox" for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Additionally and rarely, there may be some topics or lines of discussion that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine (in general Christian circles or in the TheologyWeb community) or that deny certain core values that are the Christian convictions of forum leadership that may be more appropriately placed within Unorthodox Theology 201. NO personal offense should be taken by such discretionary decision for none is intended. While inerrancy is NOT considered a requirement for posting in this section, a general respect for the Bible text and a respect for the inerrantist position of others is requested.

The Tweb rules apply here like they do everywhere at Tweb, if you haven't read them, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

An Alternate Solution for Kim Davis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An Alternate Solution for Kim Davis

I think Christians should go to Congress and demand that they create a new license. The license would bear the Hebrew words for husband, wife, and marriage as found in the book of Genesis. Let the people celebrating their alternative lifestyles try to fight against that.
    If anyone wants to read my Kindle Book, feel free to click this hyperlink: http://www.amazon.com/Key-Logic-Ted-...gic+ted+hickox

...what?
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

why is this in tektonics
      "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

A lot of Christians including republican candidates are supporting Kim Davis. It's becoming a huge Christian issue. I'm sure many fundy athiests are creating videos right now on this topic. I thought my idea may satisfy everyone concerned. Besides, until today I didn't know the Hebrew words for marriage, husband, and wife. I found that most interesting.
        If anyone wants to read my Kindle Book, feel free to click this hyperlink: http://www.amazon.com/Key-Logic-Ted-...gic+ted+hickox

Comment

It's not an apologetics issue, though. Determining the ethical course of action here does not relate to the truth claims of Christianity.
          "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Move it to Christianity.
            "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

If I knew how to move the topic, I would.

Comment

Just pm one of the area mods. They won't mind.
                "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Thank you very much.

Comment

Kim Davis is a Oneness believer isn't she? That makes her as relevant to us as Mormons.
                    Does he who supplies the Spirit to you and works miracles among you do so by works of the law, or by hearing with faith? -Galatians 3:5

Comment

She should do her job and if she can't / won't do it then she needs to get another one.

It is not our job to judge another. People sin, keep sinning, and will always sin. If you denied anyone who sins and keeps sinning a license, her office would not be giving out any licenses.

Comment

The state is secular so any type of marriage will ultimately be given a license. Despite what homosexuals say, I fully anticipate that in a few years time it will be lawful to have multiple husbands/wives and threesome marriages etc. I think the best path for Christians is to view the part of their marriage in Church as the real part, so to think of it as "Christian Marriage" as opposed to any other type of marriage. I think people like KD have done us all a favour as they have brought Christian beliefs on marriage to wider public consciousness and now for our part we must keep the flame going by differentiating between marriages when we talk so that people know what Christian Marriage is.

Comment

Originally posted by Abigail View Post
                          The state is secular so any type of marriage will ultimately be given a license. Despite what homosexuals say, I fully anticipate that in a few years time it will be lawful to have multiple husbands/wives and threesome marriages etc. I think the best path for Christians is to view the part of their marriage in Church as the real part, so to think of it as "Christian Marriage" as opposed to any other type of marriage. I think people like KD have done us all a favour as they have brought Christian beliefs on marriage to wider public consciousness and now for our part we must keep the flame going by differentiating between marriages when we talk so that people know what Christian Marriage is.
                          I think it is ridiculous that just because civil marriage has been extended to same sex couples that you think that everything else will become recognized.

KD has done Christians a disservice to us because while she reads the Bible, she actually doesn't follow the words of Jesus. She is not the moral arbiter of God's law...only Jesus and God are. It is pretty explicit in the Bible when it comes to judgment by us of others. We are not God, and she is pretending like she is. Pride, even when expressed behind Christian sentiment, is still pride.

Comment

Originally posted by element771 View Post
                            I think it is ridiculous that just because civil marriage has been extended to same sex couples that you think that everything else will become recognized.
                            How can it not? If three people love each other why should you deny them? (or so the logic goes)

Originally posted by Element771
                            KD has done Christians a disservice to us because while she reads the Bible, she actually doesn't follow the words of Jesus. She is not the moral arbiter of God's law...only Jesus and God are. It is pretty explicit in the Bible when it comes to judgment by us of others. We are not God, and she is pretending like she is. Pride, even when expressed behind Christian sentiment, is still pride.
                            I think marriage is clearly defined in the Bible. If we see a brother/sister sinning then we have to tell them of their sin. People with homosexual desires are Christians too, so if a homosexual thinks it fit to get married then we should say something. It is not bad judging to do that when we have clear standards, in fact it would be remiss of us if we didn't. As for KD, she is working in a state department (secular and public) and many of the people coming in for licenses are likely not Christians so in that sense she is wrong to try impose her behavioural standards on non-believers. My point was even though we may not agree with her she has done us a 'favour' by coming into the public eye as the issue then becomes a talking point for people and makes people think about marriage on a deeper spiritual level.
                            Last edited by Abigail; 09-11-2015, 12:18 PM.

Comment

How can it not? If three people love each other why should you deny them? (or so the logic goes)
                              Because there is a fundamental difference between a partnership and a "corporation". Its not a clear cut how that shakes out. Allowing two people of the same sex to get married does not fundamentally change the nature of marriage being a partnership (from the states point of view).

I think marriage is clearly defined in the Bible. If we see a brother/sister sinning then we have to tell them of their sin. People with homosexual desires are Christians too, so if a homosexual thinks it fit to get married then we should say something. It is not bad judging to do that when we have clear standards, in fact it would be remiss of us if we didn't. As for KD, she is working in a state department (secular and public) and many of the people coming in for licenses are likely not Christians so in that sense she is wrong to try impose her behavioural standards on non-believers. My point was even though we may not agree with her she has done us a 'favour' by coming into the public eye as the issue then becomes a talking point for people and makes people think about marriage on a deeper spiritual level.
                              "Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother's eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye? Mathew 7:3

I would argue that we never get rid of the plank in our own eye.

"Do not speak evil against one another, brothers. The one who speaks against a brother or judges his brother, speaks evil against the law and judges the law. But if you judge the law, you are not a doer of the law but a judge. There is only one lawgiver and judge, he who is able to save and to destroy. But who are you to judge your neighbor?" James 3:6

That seems pretty clear to me.

As far as KD, If she would have said...I don't condone homosexual marriage but it is not for me to judge as per the scriptures. Then I think she would have done us a service. However when she is claiming to be judge of these peoples behaviors, it only amplifies the idea of a large population of people being Christian in name only. To me, this may serve to drive people away as welcoming people into the fold. Especially when it is unbiblical to judge as she is doing.

Comment