Announcement

Collapse

Amphitheater Guidelines

In the Amphitheater we sit back and share a good song, offer a movie review, discuss sports, or anything in entertainment and family enjoyment.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: here
Steam Group: here

Thanks!
See more
See less

What Video Games Have You Been Playing?

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chaotic Void View Post
    One of these days I'll have to play Smite and see what it's all aboot (I've got it downloaded via Steam, so probably soon).

In the meantime, I've been having a blast with Super Mario Maker.
    Cool! I need to try and send you a friend request on Wii U. I only have Mario Kart 8, and Super Smash Bros., but I hope to later get Hyrule Warriors.

There are also some Steam games we should try playing. Awesomenauts has a new character, Terraria has had a few massive updates, and hopefully the new patch for Double Dragon Neon has fixed the crash I would experience on level 10.

Comment

I finally got past the stupid locket scene in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part I for ps3 which, like many movie tie-in games, is not great. My parents just brought me my (really, my dad's, but now I have the ps3) copy of Oblivion for ps3 (which I've played on PC) and Little Big Planet. I'm kinda busy though so my gaming hasn't been much lately.

"Fire is catching. If we burn, you burn with us!"
      "I'm not going anywhere. I'm going to stay here and cause all kinds of trouble."
      Katniss Everdeen

Christ our Passover has been sacrificed for us. Therefore let us keep the feast.

Comment

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post

It's probably that they are fanboys of Resident Evil before 4 came out. Very different style of game, and very different atmosphere. I've beaten all of them with the exception of RE 0. It was awkward to play on a Wii("tank" controls are even harder on a Wiimote/Nunchuk setup) , but with them remaking it in HD, I'll probably retry it when it goes on sale.
        Oddly, Resident Evil 4 is what Yahtzee refers to as 'the one good one.'
        My Amazon Author page: https://www.amazon.com/-/e/B0719RS8BK

Comment

Originally posted by Rational Gaze View Post
          Oddly, Resident Evil 4 is what Yahtzee refers to as 'the one good one.'
          Weird. I know a lot of people liked it, and it is good, but it was so different from the earlier games. 5 and 6 built off of what 4 started. Improved much of it IMO. Especially things like melee attacks.

Comment

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
            Weird. I know a lot of people liked it, and it is good, but it was so different from the earlier games. 5 and 6 built off of what 4 started. Improved much of it IMO. Especially things like melee attacks.
            5 and 6 are good games, but they're not as good as 4, imo. 4 was much more of a proper horror game as it was significantly creepier.
            My Amazon Author page: https://www.amazon.com/-/e/B0719RS8BK

Comment

Originally posted by Rational Gaze View Post
              5 and 6 are good games, but they're not as good as 4, imo. 4 was much more of a proper horror game as it was significantly creepier.
              Agree that 4 was creepier. 5 and 6 just have overall better gameplay mechanics IMO. Now, if only they can find a balance between the creepy factor, and the action that is available in the later games. Oh, and more puzzles would be good. I miss having to explore and find stuff in order to advance. The weapon upgrades from 4 and 5 were awesome. Having alt costumes for the campaign is something they should also bring back IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
                No problem--I understand.

I'm generally no good with hunters. I'm ok with assassins, depending on who it is (can't play Mercury to save my life). My go-to mage is Anubis for some reason. But generally I'm a tank/warrior kinda player. I just love being able to eat a ridiculous amount of damage and still be a threat.
                Hunters are probably my best class. I'm generally crap with assassins except Loki, but that's only because Loki is the easy mode assassin. Anubis is too immobile for my tastes and for some reason I can't get the hang of Ah Puch even though he's supposed to be super OP.

And I don't blame you for not being able to play Mercury. He's trash.

Comment

Originally posted by Meta Knight View Post
                  Hunters are probably my best class. I'm generally crap with assassins except Loki, but that's only because Loki is the easy mode assassin. Anubis is too immobile for my tastes and for some reason I can't get the hang of Ah Puch even though he's supposed to be super OP.

And I don't blame you for not being able to play Mercury. He's trash.
                  I actually think it's a fun challenge to play gods who aren't really favored in the meta. One of my other favorite warriors is Guan Yu, for example, who isn't exactly the best warrior. I like being able to make him work in spite of that.

Bellona still kind of irritates me, though. And yeah, Mercury is bad right now.
                  I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

Am I the only person who is uncomfortable with the idea of playing games involving "gods", whether role play or video games?
                    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
                      I actually think it's a fun challenge to play gods who aren't really favored in the meta. One of my other favorite warriors is Guan Yu, for example, who isn't exactly the best warrior. I like being able to make him work in spite of that.

Bellona still kind of irritates me, though. And yeah, Mercury is bad right now.
                      Bellona has been irritating since release. I mean, marginally less so now, but she's still top tier for a reason. Same with Puch's and Rat's constant nerfs.

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                        Am I the only person who is uncomfortable with the idea of playing games involving "gods", whether role play or video games?
                        No, but I think it only matters to outsiders.
                        "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Most games don't handle religion very well; in fact, I'm kind of struggling to think of one that does. I can accept pagan pantheons in games without much trouble, but when you start dealing with real religions, it gets really messy.
                          Don't call it a comeback. It's a riposte.

Comment

Originally posted by Spartacus View Post
                            Most games don't handle religion very well; in fact, I'm kind of struggling to think of one that does. I can accept pagan pantheons in games without much trouble, but when you start dealing with real religions, it gets really messy.
                            CIV V was pretty annoying to the point where I quit playing because of this. From putting all blame on the Library of Alexandria's destruction on Christians, to fully embracing the conflict thesis (you can't specialize in both the piety social policy and "rationalism" social policy that provides science benefits.

Which is hilarious as the image representing the "Rationalism" social policy is obviously Issac Newton during his prism and light experiments. I love XCOM to death, but I want nothing to do with Firaxis' other products.

Now that I think of it, the game Spore may be a peculiar counter. I remember reading how the project lead Will Wright (an atheist) got hate mail from militant atheists for having you become a religious civilization if you play nice with other species instead of killing them. That and how Will Wright is apparently promoting ID by letting you voluntarily change how your creature looks...for some reason.
                            Last edited by Knowing Thomas; 09-16-2015, 11:02 PM.

Comment

Yes, that I know of. I'd ask if there was anything specific that makes you queasy, but then we'd be de-railing the thread.
                              Have You Touched Grass Today? If Not, Please Do.

Comment

I've been playing some Zombie Party. It's an indie game made by an acquaintance of mine. I even got to do a bit of testing on some of the pre-Steam Early Access versions. Right now it's a twin stick shooter for up to four players locally. There are many special guns, and lots of mods you can put on the basic guns to change how they work. Character unlocks and upgrades were added recently as well. I haven't played many twin stick shooters, but this one has been pretty fun. A bit on the easy side though.

Comment