Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: (Game Thread) Ruceeglaelsktinag: A Study in Applied Christian Theology of War

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Umbris finishes up his whittling to reveal a handful of makeshift wooden daggers.
    He turns to the children to see who's up for the job.
    So who's with me? Who wants to watch my back as i go exploring the grounds. ...and hopefully show me around a bit... either way,
    sometimes all that's needed to lift the spirits is to believe that you are important, regardless of what you're feeling.

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Umbris leaves with Rawt, with Berg making occasional appearances.

The overall impression Umbris gets is that the structure is a masterful compromise between a reasonable place for the more normal sort of orphan to grow up, a facility to hold the sort of children who those without concern for precision in planar and/or theological matters might call "hell-spawn"*, and a fortification. There seem to be bits of the last concern missing (and maybe some of the others as well), as if the building was never quite brought up to its full potential, but with enough mage-power COULD be. Nothing was finished to a lower standard in a way that would make upgrading it harder, merely left unfinished in a way that didn't impede later upgrades. For instance, there is a device at the highest point of the roof that pumps oil over out evenly in all directions and then allows it to be lit without the person operating it ever needing to expose themselves to attack (more details available on request... remember, I'm an engineer). However the tanks of oil are filled with common lamp-oil rather than something more volatile that would be more reliable to light the first time every time when the flint and steel under the cap on the roof is remotely operated. The pump is hand-cranked, but obviously made to be upgraded to magical power with a crank back-up in case an enemy somehow manages to neutralize magic.

*(For instancethere are rings set into the beds and walls in the bedrooms such that a manacles could be fitted to them, but the child you are talking to has a decoration hanging off of the one on the wall in his room... the door is built like a dungeon door. No, not an adventuring site door, but the sort of door you keep a prisoner behind.)

Umbris's attempts to cheer up Rawt prove less successful than he would have hoped, but at the same time this actually proves a positive sign. It isn't that he isn't on the road to recovery, it is that these things take time, and he is already getting some very good help. The Orphan-keeper appears to be very good at her job if this is anything to go by... Umbris's would have to spend weeks, if not months getting to know Rawt before he could lay the foundation for a strong enough relationship to add much more than a any other new friend would contribute to Rawt's mental well-being.