No announcement yet.

(Game Thread) Ruceeglaelsktinag: A Study in Applied Christian Theology of War

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

((Door in question is on the top floor of the tower... same place you would use to look around. The only place higher would be the roof.))

Comment

"While Umbris is checking out the tower I'm gonna go search through the rooms and passageways* since we're not worried about the guards."

*assuming it's connected like a medieval fortress, inside of the egg shell setup

Comment

Umbris makes his way back down and recounts his findings from the tower vantage point.

So, um, there was this door. It opens up to nothing. Outside it is just a free fall off the cliff it faces. Anyone able to think of any flying races we might need to account for?

Comment

Razzik begins the process of familiarizing himself with the defenses and other features, with the help of a manual that the orphan keeper provides (yes, the fortphanage has an operators' manual). It seems to be a very well designed location, although some of the magics that are mentioned are quite simply ABSENT, with the implication that they are to be added at a later date. The manual does bear the insignia of the Rucee military.

None of you have noticed any flying persons in the area.

Comment

Umbris can't get past the oddity of such a large well defended building for housing orphans. Something is eating at him that he can't seem to place, something he's missing. While exploring the general area not too terribly far from the entrance, his mind busily searches for insight, when suddenly, he recalls a vague memory, a conversation he'd overheard about politics...

addressing the orphankeeper:
            Madam, you say these are all the orphans correct? I notice that none of them are of common race to Rucee, at least not to my understanding. Three, no, four hobgoblins and a halfling, where precisely are they from and what happened to their parents?

Comment

((It is ensured that none of the children hear this...))

"Berg and Rawt lost their parents in the war, although I must emphasize that they died fighting honorably. Spuk's died in a fire. Meres' *points to halfling* parents were merchants who were killed by bandits."

Comment

Umbris, for once, makes no effort to hide his empathy for the children.

... and what of Siba's parents, ma'am?

Comment

"Illness... I don't like to talk about that one. Orphans kinda come with either death or gross irresponsibility attached in almost every case but... well, I coulda saved them if someone had just asked. I didn't know, so it isn't my fault. My head knows this, but my heart just won't listen."

Comment

Suddenly, a small glint is seen in Umbris's eye. He smiles ever so slightly at the orphankeeper.

...say Madam, you see, Razzik is a bit preoccupied, and one of us needs to stay here with you and the other children obviously, but walking around a place like this on my own could prove to be a bit dangerous. Do you think that any of the children might be brave enough -- (Umbris winks subtly and picks up a scrap of old wood nearby and begins to whittle at it deftly with his claws) --to accompany me in case I were to run into any trouble? I could always use a flanking partner.
                    Last edited by Thomas Maltuin; 01-18-2016, 08:10 PM.

Comment

• "Certainly!"

Comment

• Umbris finishes up his whittling to reveal a handful of makeshift wooden daggers.
                        He turns to the children to see who's up for the job.
                        So who's with me? Who wants to watch my back as i go exploring the grounds. ...and hopefully show me around a bit... either way,
                        sometimes all that's needed to lift the spirits is to believe that you are important, regardless of what you're feeling.

Comment

• Umbris leaves with Rawt, with Berg making occasional appearances.

The overall impression Umbris gets is that the structure is a masterful compromise between a reasonable place for the more normal sort of orphan to grow up, a facility to hold the sort of children who those without concern for precision in planar and/or theological matters might call "hell-spawn"*, and a fortification. There seem to be bits of the last concern missing (and maybe some of the others as well), as if the building was never quite brought up to its full potential, but with enough mage-power COULD be. Nothing was finished to a lower standard in a way that would make upgrading it harder, merely left unfinished in a way that didn't impede later upgrades. For instance, there is a device at the highest point of the roof that pumps oil over out evenly in all directions and then allows it to be lit without the person operating it ever needing to expose themselves to attack (more details available on request... remember, I'm an engineer). However the tanks of oil are filled with common lamp-oil rather than something more volatile that would be more reliable to light the first time every time when the flint and steel under the cap on the roof is remotely operated. The pump is hand-cranked, but obviously made to be upgraded to magical power with a crank back-up in case an enemy somehow manages to neutralize magic.

*(For instancethere are rings set into the beds and walls in the bedrooms such that a manacles could be fitted to them, but the child you are talking to has a decoration hanging off of the one on the wall in his room... the door is built like a dungeon door. No, not an adventuring site door, but the sort of door you keep a prisoner behind.)

Umbris's attempts to cheer up Rawt prove less successful than he would have hoped, but at the same time this actually proves a positive sign. It isn't that he isn't on the road to recovery, it is that these things take time, and he is already getting some very good help. The Orphan-keeper appears to be very good at her job if this is anything to go by... Umbris's would have to spend weeks, if not months getting to know Rawt before he could lay the foundation for a strong enough relationship to add much more than a any other new friend would contribute to Rawt's mental well-being.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                          Working...
                          X