Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

(Commentary Thread) Ruceeglaelsktinag: A Study in Applied Christian Theology of War

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I responded to maintain continuity, Umbris will be hard to crack in some instances because as a general rule, he tends to take the neutral stance. In an early post, it is said that Umbris likes to play "apologetic mediator" which is a term I coined to better fit him. In a nutshell, it is a "devil's advocate" without the negative connotation. He will attempt to draw attention to personal biases of others while at least trying to recognize his own freely (to an extent, he's a bit secretive in some ways) as well as offer alternative perspectives and reasonings. His opinion on some matters is that no one is wrong or right but by examining multiple vantage points of anything, you get more than just the first glance profile and begin to understand beyond the surface. He thinks that in most cases, what is seen is only the tip of the ice-burg (iceburg? iceberg? i dunno). Sometimes this way of thinking might make him seem apathetic (we'll see) but he cares, more than he shows probably.

Comment

Thomas:
      Well, I think there may be too many people trying to fill that role from what I'm seeing, but we shall see how it works out in the long run.

So far I think this is showing much more promise on the philosophical front than I was afraid was the case before we started this scene.

Comment

EVERYONE: You MUST have an account on www.myth-weavers.com friending me (Draco Dei or perhaps DracoDei) may also be necessary. This is so I can give you each editing permisions for your sheets, since after initial character creation I expect you to keep up with the bookkeeping unless you make specific arrangements to the contrary ahead of time.

Current collection of all of the character sheets I can find at this time (not all are finished... I need to get working on my part of that):
        Human Sorcerer (GMNPC, might be leaving party after first mission, used to be played by "Eddy"), since this is just an NPC I'm going to call his equipment "Good Enough".
        Razzik the Kobold to be played by ForrestGump (goes by a different name on IRC).
        1. Haven't checked math on purchases, but looks to be in playable condition, for the first mission. Needs rations and animal-feed.
        2. Sharing COMPLETE!

Mors/Thanatos Warforged forged (AKA mechanical man) Swordsage (AKA "Hollywood-style ninja" with supernatural powers). played by Rational Gaze.
        1. Needs final 3rd level maneuver selected by Rational Gaze.
        2. I need to have/be reminded of a user-name for Rational Gaze on Myth-Weavers so I can share this.
        3. Needs Readied Maneuvers selected by Rational Gaze.

Umbris the Anthro Feline Rogue played by Thomas Maltuin
        1. I need to do a lot of work on this.
        2. Sharing COMPLETE!

Aldyr “Badgerson” Elaris, Gnomish Druid for Elder
        1. Sharing COMPLETE!
        2. Purchases (Should be COMPLETE, anyone with the link should be able to edit)
        3. Needs spells selected (player may need help with this)
        4. Should be done apart from the above.
        <Name Pending> Semi-Awakened Medium Viper Animal Companion. Good enough, including sharing!
        Sigval the Halfling Wereraven Monk with Skirmish instead of Flurry of Blows played by Boxing Pythagoras (No sheet that I can find...)

There is also going to be a half-elven bard who may be popping up from time to time, roleplayed by Spheniscine, but he's not going to be engaging in anything related to the missions, just the debates, and maybe whatever random social roleplay happens.

Boxing Pythagoras: I still haven't seen hide nor hair of your character stat sheet. Characterization and backstory (which you have) are even more important but we can't play without stats. Get back to me!
        Last edited by Draco Dei; 10-04-2015, 04:46 PM.

Comment

Umbris's "shopping" should be done now!

A bit of flavor arising from my trying to cut the "shopping" short on that and Aldyr “Badgerson” Elaris:
          Umbris had his purse cut a few weeks ago, and thus is very lacking in food, money, and a belt-pouch.
          Aldyr doesn't want to leave either his dog or the Viper (which needs a name) outside a tent, and finds carrying two tents a bit silly, so his normal policy is to simply sleep all huddled together when in the wild, often in some natural shelter he has discovered.

Actually, names for all the pack and riding animals might be good...

EDIT: NOTE TO SELF AND EVERYONE Our Gnomish Druid has dropped out! I may be providing a replacement healer, probably a Grace-Gift.
          Last edited by Draco Dei; 10-04-2015, 06:32 PM.

Comment

Upon pondering a few days, I have elected to give a caveat to something I said regarding the nature of this campaign. I also have a caution I'm thinking about giving, but I want to seek some wise council from Chaotic Void before I even bring the matter up.

The caveat:

I said something along the lines of that I don't do "cutesy", or overly-complicated traps except when they would logically function to increase the difficulty of locating, disarming, and/or avoiding the effects of said trap if sprung without warning. I now realize there may be one or more exceptions to this. Feel free to notice this in-character, since it serves as a clue to the 'big picture' of that/those adventure(s).

While we are on the subject of "traps", I should make a note to myself here: Make sure they have the correct magic in the party to counter "that one trap", and make sure to provide the correct hint(s) so they acquire the matching MUNDANE item (or just hand it to them as "you are obviously going to need this to be properly prepared for this mission")...

Comment

Draco, do you feel like we are making any progress in-character at answering the question Benir has raised? I'd like to think we're getting somewhere as opposed to spinning off onto a wild tangent. Does Benir or yourself feel we're approaching an outcome on how we should start on our "mission?"

Comment

Well, these sorts of discussions are very difficult, or else they wouldn't be worthy of an entire campaign to try to examine. The one thing I feel certain of saying is that you should do everything you can to make such analysis go as smoothly as possible. No sense making it harder than it is. Of course, leaving things out of the analysis is also a bad idea since that means that the analysis covers less.

Quite frankly I am greatly frustrated with how vague and hard to pin down you are being. I think you need to go ahead and have your character stop any sort of attempt at keeping secrets in this meeting. He should trust entirely on the anonymity provided by the cloak and such. We will see if that is enough to help.

So far, it seems like your character is likely to horribly fail the first mission if run from a "working from the inside" perspective, in as much as you would need to be handing over the maximum number possible of prisoners* to be tortured to death by their comrades in arms if you wanted to gain the trust of the Ruceeglaelsktinagian authorities. This in turn would mean I couldn't see my way clear to having the group be granted my planned second mission. If the group ends up sticking to the standards your character seems to be setting, you really would be better off joining the "don't fight the Rucee's just beat them to the punch on things where we wouldn't like how they would handle the situation" type 'rebels'.
                *Meaning people you would take prisoner, not meaning people who start the mission as prisoners... those you are supposed to be rescuing.

Also, I wish more people would speak up more often.
                Last edited by Draco Dei; 10-06-2015, 03:10 PM.

Comment

Thomas and I have been talking on Skype, but other people should feel more than free to jump in...

Comment

Just to let everybody know: I have been placed on a four week mandatory work activity by the government (I've nearly finished the first week.) I have to start at 8, but it takes an hour and 20 minutes by bus to get there, and so I have to get up at 6am so I can get the 6:40am bus. I thus have to go to bed quite early too, and so I might not necessarily have time to read everything for a couple of weeks.
                    My Amazon Author page: https://www.amazon.com/-/e/B0719RS8BK

Comment

Rational Gaze: Thanks for the notice. As always, earlier notice is better, but I understand that most people's reaction to "increased demands from boss" doesn't include "notify all internet contacts of decrease in availability"... which actually seems sorta silly to me, given that I see no particular reason why Internet commitments should be taken with less seriousness than face-to-face commitments, but I THINK I actually sorta get the psychology (and thus the social norms) behind it I think.

Of course, for all I know that isn't the case here at all, and you haven't managed to keep your phone/face to face contacts any more up to date than you have us. However, if my first guess was right, I invite you to consider the social engineering benefits of being part of altering the current social norms.

Comment

well thank you for bringing all of this to my attention Draco. Communication is key.

Umbris will probably not share everything. And some things will not be shared easily which is to say, and please, all of you, don't abuse this... if someone pressures Umbris enough (and cornering him is probably not going to be easy in a combat or social scenario) he might share something he'd rather have kept to himself. Depending on what it is, he might range emotionally from, shaken to "get away before I destroy your face." Some things will come out by earning his trust. He is a Rogue, a loner, and unbeknownst to any of the other characters (presently speaking) he is a refugee with a sad story that he'd rather not dwell on. I'm currently refining said story and I hope it adds to the greater story and campaign. I was unaware that we couldn't see each other's faces, so now I'm a bit embarrassed, but it will be fine. I tried to be more clear in the last post I just made, but to be clear, this is still a discussion, so if the group is required to turn in a bunch of people to be gruesomely tortured, it's not too late to sway Umbris. It might be a good idea for someone to push the topic of "serving the greater good requires sacrifice." I think I already brought this out, but if you are concerned about this Draco, now might be a good place to resolve your concern. When it all comes to a point, Umbris wants to make a home for his people and wants it to be a place of safety and comfort for them to thrive. He is willing to do whatever is necessary more or less. Don't be afraid to push each other, and if someone pushes your character, please EVERYONE remember that you are not your character.

In honor of good role-playing, I thought it might be good to mention, you don't have to say "I'll have my character do X." You don't have to do that, we know. Good role-playing (and no I'm not that experienced myself) requires getting in to character. Try to think of it as literally you pretending to be them. Try narrating your characters actions from a third person view or like you might see it in a novel.

Just a suggestion :3

*goes back to chewing on his tail* ^~^

Comment

My apologies to the group. I had read all of the introductory posts but it seems that the times I've been trying to read and post have been timed poorly. I must have been too tired to take in everything as I have overlooked several key details. Number one would be the Anonymity enchantments etc. Rational Gaze, I'm sorry for having pushed for a name with my character and for demonstrating knowledge of your race that Umbris would not have had. If it's any consolation, if I recall correctly, I don't think Umbris made any comments out loud about the race, if so, I apologize further. I await ideas from Draco as to how to recover, meanwhile I'm winging it with Umbris right now as the story looks like it could be very interesting here. I will try to communicate better here in the future so as to try and circumvent like occurrences later on.

One idea on how to continue here might be to allow Umbris to unveil himself and recieve a mild summary based on need-to-know details.

Another idea might be for someone to motion him to stop, and ask for "names removed" accounts of what he has endured.
                          Last edited by Thomas Maltuin; 10-12-2015, 07:32 AM. Reason: adding additional information to the current post so as to avoid double posting

Comment

I don't think that unveiling is indicated. While it would be good for the "iron sharpens iron" aspect of the campaign, it looks like too much of a hit to what seems like a major aspect of your characterization. We have an entire campaign to explore things, so I think we can give it a miss for now.

Also, I thought that your IC post implied that even with "names removed" your character felt he would be giving too many clues.
                            Last edited by Draco Dei; 10-12-2015, 05:56 PM.

Comment

I would like to encourage more frequent posting by all who are available. We're all busy, and it can be tough sometimes, however, the more frequently you post in-character, the more fun you will have. Not only will things move along quicker, but also, the discussions and so on will seem more familiar as they will be fresh on your mind. This will allow you to post without having to think quite as hard and review quite as often. I know you are tied up Rational Gaze, it is understood, I only encourage whoever is free to post as they have time, and this is more a reminder to remind yourselves of the game.

When you do post, I would like to encourage each of you again, to try for longer posts. Don't be afraid to play around, if you're unsure, post in here. Wanna try something, do it. If it's extreme or questionable, ask, but don't hesitate to inquire. Again, try to avoid, "I will have my character..." This is a narrative kinda. Some may read along with us silently. Try to post like you would expect to read it in a book. Don't let your character become a bland puppet. Give them a personality. Describe their actions, pose, movement, tone of voice, and if you really like, add unspoken thoughts (just indicate what it is with a color change or italics).

Also, don't let your character be afraid to interject into the conversation, unless it's part of your characterization i.e. shyness. Even then, however, you could roleplay that your character starts to say something or crosses their arms, giving other characters to take notice and initiate dialogue with you directly.

Example:

Umbris:"I just can't do it! I've had enough!" Umbris places his hand on the hem of his hood to pull it back and reveal his countenance.
                              Benir: Benir grabs Umbris by the wrist giving a stern and worried gaze, "-NO! No faces. No names. We shall not ruin this forum by giving chance for personal bias or racism. If you have a thought speak it, if not, sit down. Listen." Benir returns his hand and gazes at Umbris a moment waiting for a sign of acknowledgement.
                              Umbris: Umbris Nods and takes a step back into the mass of hooded figures. "My apologies" He sounds ashamed. He is quietly embarrassed for letting his emotions cloud his mind, "I usually have better self control than this"
                              Benir: "Now, lets not lose our momentum, Umbris, if you have anything else to add, proceed. Otherwise... does anyone else have something to say?"

Comment

In the spirit of the above(speaking, rather than keeping silent): What would all of you think about starting the first mission in parallel with the current discussion? Basically, we would all start all of our In-Character messages with either "Scene: Prisoner Rescue" or "Scene: Cloaked Meeting" depending on which scene we were advancing. "Cloaked Meeting" is our current scene. "Prisoner Rescue" would be several weeks into the future, and would start out with your getting a mission briefing from an undefined person. The person would be undefined because who they are, and where you all are would depend on the outcome of "Cloaked Meeting"...

We should almost certainly do the long wait for Rational Gaze's return before actually leaving the briefing/planning/pre-mission shopping phase of the first mission, but perhaps we could at least get some of you started on thinking about the tactical situation*? Or would trying to do two scenes at once only confuse your brains?

*Hint: Among other things, calculate the probable statistics of the defenders, starting from ability scores and working onward to AC, Saves, Attack Bonuses, etc. Your characters have been doing dangerous stuff long enough to be doing the IC equivalent of these things. Remember, this is a high tactics game​.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X