Announcement

Collapse

Biblical Languages 301 Guidelines

This is where we come to delve into the biblical text. Theology is not our foremost thought, but we realize it is something that will be dealt with in nearly every conversation. Feel free to use the original languages to make your point (meaning Greek, Hebrew, and Aramaic). This is an exegetical discussion area, so please limit topics to purely biblical ones.

This is not the section for debates between theists and atheists. While a theistic viewpoint is not required for discussion in this area, discussion does presuppose a respect for the integrity of the Biblical text (or the willingness to accept such a presupposition for discussion purposes) and a respect for the integrity of the faith of others and a lack of an agenda to undermine the faith of others.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

The Last Days

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A New Approach to the "Last Things"

I propose to supplement ― and in some senses correct ― what I have posted above by means of excerpts from a book I read many years ago (I wish I had re-read it recently before starting this thread): The Eclipse of Christ in Eschatology: Toward a Christ-Centered Approach, by Adrio König ― adapted from Jesus die Laaste, Gelowig-Nagedink Deel 2 (Pretoria: DRC Bookshop, 1980). First published in the UK in 1989 by Marshall Morgan and Scott Publications LTD. Copies available at Amazon.com for as much as $183.01 new and as little as $62.45 used.
    Preface

This book presents a new approach to the "last things." It is so new that occasionally some readers might disbelieve their own eyes. For example, we affirm that not only will Jesus Christ come again in the last days, but that he was born in the last days, that the Holy Spirit was poured out in the last days, and that the first Christians even lived in the last hour.

Comment

The Eclipse of Christ in Eschatology

Originally posted by John Reece View Post
      I propose to supplement ― and in some senses correct ― what I have posted above by means of excerpts from a book I read many years ago (I wish I had re-read it recently before starting this thread): The Eclipse of Christ in Eschatology: Toward a Christ-Centered Approach, by Adrio König ― adapted from Jesus die Laaste, Gelowig-Nagedink Deel 2 (Pretoria: DRC Bookshop, 1980). First published in the UK in 1989 by Marshall Morgan and Scott Publications LTD. Copies available at Amazon.com for as much as $183.01 new and as little as $62.45 used.
      Preface

This book presents a new approach to the "last things." It is so new that occasionally some readers might disbelieve their own eyes. For example, we affirm that not only will Jesus Christ come again in the last days, but that he was born in the last days, that the Holy Spirit was poured out in the last days, and that the first Christians even lived in the last hour.
      Eerdmans owns the copyright for The Eclipse of Christ in Eschatology: Toward a Christ-Centered Approach, by Adrio König. Having consulted Eerdmans about what I proposed above, I have been informed that I must confine myself to Eerdmans guidelines for Fair Use. That will require more work on my part than I have time and energy for at present.

I may come back to this when I have finished some of the other six threads I am currently running.

Comment

With regard to The Eclipse of Christ in Eschatology: Toward a Christ-Centered Approach (Eerdmans, 1989), by Adrio König, I. John Hesselink of Western Theological Seminary wrote the following:
        "Adrio König, one of South Africa's leading theologians, ... makes an impressive case for viewing the entire history of Jesus Christ as the content of eschatology, not simply his resurrection and return in glory. König has mastered the best of current biblical and theological scholarship in this field and shows where most of it falls short of a radical Christocentric eschatology. This is a seminal work which will challenge the church and the theological world for some time to come."

Because Eerdmans strictly enforces their difficult-for-me-to-measure Fair Use Guidelines ― in terms of "5%" ratios and word counts ― perhaps I may simply share some scriptures that support König's thesis.

Comment

With regard to The Eclipse of Christ in Eschatology: Toward a Christ-Centered Approach (Eerdmans, 1989), by Adrio König, Ray S. Anderson of Fuller Theological Seminary wrote the following:
          "König is persuasive and provocative. His biblical and historical approach to systematic theology stays close to the pulse beat of the divine heart which we encounter in the Christ for us, in us, and with us. Eschatology has to do not with the last things but with the person of Christ, who is the first and the last One.

With this book König has pointed the way forward for a whole new generation of theological studies. This book combines the critical dogmatic inquiry with careful exegetical work in the finest tradition of biblical theology. The result is a book on eschatology which is irenic in tone, relevant to contemporary issues, and surprising in its simplicity. This book will inspire pastors to preach once again with conviction on the eschatological themes essential to Christian life and faith. It might also put eschatology back once again into the theological curriculum!"

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
          Working...
          X