Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Intelligence and Religiosity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Jichard View Post
    I also previously gave him the example of dialetheism, which is a counterintuitive notion that humans made up. Similarly so for various philosophical claims, such as those made by ancient Greeks like Zeno.
    All of which are irrelevant. Nothing about an idea being 'unnatural' or 'counterintuitive' puts it beyond the realm of human ingenuity, but Kbertsche has made it clear he wasn't trying to claim it did.
    I'm not here anymore.

Comment

• Originally posted by Carrikature View Post
      All of which are irrelevant. Nothing about an idea being 'unnatural' or 'counterintuitive' puts it beyond the realm of human ingenuity, but Kbertsche has made it clear he wasn't trying to claim it did.
      I disagree that would be part of Kbersche's argument. He has disagreed with me strongly when I proposed that these or this Christian concept(s) could possibly be natural and intuitive. There is also his claim that the concept of the Trinity is unique, despite the similarity with the concepts in other religions. This claim would translate to the argument that the concept was of a non-human origin. Which would it be than; Alien or God?

If it could be either, what is the point of the argument?
      Last edited by shunyadragon; 11-21-2015, 04:40 PM.
      Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
      Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
      But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

• [QUOTE=shunyadragon;266026]I disagree that would be part of Kbersche's argument. He has disagreed with me strongly when I proposed that these or this Christian concept(s) could possibly be natural and intuitive. There is also his claim that the concept of the Trinity is unique, despite the similarity with the concepts in other religions. This claim would translate to the argument that the concept was of a non-human origin. Which would it be than; Alien or God?

There's a big difference between thinking it's possible for a certain thing to happen and thinking that it actually did happen that way. One can affirm the former without needing to affirm the latter.

Similarity does not negate uniqueness. "This is my rifle. There are many like it, but this one is mine."

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
        If it could be either, what is the point of the argument?
        To counter Jichard's nonsense claim that science is speshul.
        I'm not here anymore.

Comment

I disagree that would be part of Kbersche's argument. He has disagreed with me strongly when I proposed that these or this Christian concept(s) could possibly be natural and intuitive. There is also his claim that the concept of the Trinity is unique, despite the similarity with the concepts in other religions. This claim would translate to the argument that the concept was of a non-human origin. Which would it be than; Alien or God?
          There's a big difference between thinking it's possible for a certain thing to happen and thinking that it actually did happen that way. One can affirm the former without needing to affirm the latter.

Similarity does not negate uniqueness. "This is my rifle. There are many like it, but this one is mine."

To counter Jichard's nonsense claim that science is speshul.
          I do not believe the above addresses my questions. Yes, Jichard takes the extreme position, not because science is speshul (I also believe science, sound logic, philosophy, theology, and historical assessment of the scripture, is special in this case), but because he is an atheist (Philosophical Naturalist). A bad argument for the uniqueness of the Trinity does not counter Jichard's argument.

If you read Kbertsche's posts he does strongly argue that the uniqueness of the Trinity belief is unique and cannot be explained by natural and intuitive explanations.

If all this is amounts to is a 'my rifle versus your rifle,' you have confirmed the meaningless of the argument.

In reality both arguments are flawed asserting two extremes based on 'What I believe,' without considering the middle logical position.
          Last edited by shunyadragon; 11-21-2015, 05:32 PM.
          But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

Frank

Comment

• I thought I would add an interesting side note on what my 'belief' is concerning the issue of whether the Trinity is 'intuitive and natural (likely of human origin) or 'counterintuitive or unnatural (not likely of human origin).' I believe that the Trinity was based on human reasoning of what was believed was true based on the scripture they had. I do not believe the Trinity is a true description of the nature and relationship of Christ to God, and what is described as the Holy Spirit. I base a great deal of my argument on Old Testament writings, Historical evidence of the origins and nature of NT text, the evolution of Christian belief and doctrines, and my 'belief' in the Baha'i Faith. I believe in a strict Monotheism of an apophatic God. I believe it is the result of Greek and Roman influence when Christianity became Roman. This is a 'belief' and I would not present this 'belief' in terms of an argument, either or, as Kbersche and Jichard do.

I most definitely would not compare my argument and logic methods in a theistic argument with the methods and logic of science.
            Last edited by shunyadragon; 11-21-2015, 07:20 PM.

Frank

Comment

• Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
              I do not believe the above addresses my questions.
              I don't find much that tells me you even understood what I said. And a good indicator of that is this comment:

If all this is amounts to is a 'my rifle versus your rifle,' you have confirmed the meaningless of the argument.
              I've learned over the years that it's practically guaranteed that any idiom or metaphor I use will be parroted back in a way that makes it clear you don't actually know what they mean. I'm chalking this up as more of the same.

There are a lot of tropes that show up time and again in human stories. It's tempting to write off all appearances of a given trope as being identical, but doing so only exposes ignorance. The devil is in the details, as they say, and in the case of mythologies that is truer than ever. Coming back from the dead isn't a unique concept, but Osiris, Baldur and Jesus all go about it in significantly different ways. Lumping them together is only possible if you ignore all the specifics that make the story what it is. The same is no less true for the concept of the trinity.
              I'm not here anymore.

Comment

I don't find much that tells me you even understood what I said. And a good indicator of that is this comment:[
                Than please reread again and respond intelligently.

I've learned over the years that it's practically guaranteed that any idiom or metaphor I use will be parroted back in a way that makes it clear you don't actually know what they mean. I'm chalking this up as more of the same.
                A useless analogy needs to be parroted back. Waiting for a coherent response.

There are a lot of tropes that show up time and again in human stories. It's tempting to write off all appearances of a given trope as being identical, but doing so only exposes ignorance.
                I never even came close to calling them identical. A classic misrepresentation of my post. Please read again and respond intelligently.

The devil is in the details, as they say, and in the case of mythologies that is truer than ever. Coming back from the dead isn't a unique concept, but Osiris, Baldur and Jesus all go about it in significantly different ways. Lumping them together is only possible if you ignore all the specifics that make the story what it is. The same is no less true for the concept of the trinity.
                Again, misrepresentation of my post. I never lumped them all together. A classic misrepresentation of my post. Please read again and respond intelligently.

Frank

Comment

• Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
                  Kbertsche is a scientist. What are you JerkTard (beyond professional troll)?
                  Again . . .

what kind of scientist is Kbersche that would give him special qualification for being an authority and ex-spurt in this thread!?!?!?!?!?

Frank

Comment

Than please reread again and respond intelligently.

SO predictable.

You got nothing, Shuny. See ya in another thread.
                    I'm not here anymore.

Comment

SO predictable.

You got nothing, Shuny. See ya in another thread.
                      Not likely . . .

Frank

Comment

Again . . .

what kind of scientist is Kbersche that would give him special qualification for being an authority and ex-spurt in this thread!?!?!?!?!?
                        My understanding is he is a physicist.
                        . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

• Originally posted by 37818 View Post
                          My understanding is he is a physicist.
                          I need more specifics as to the claim that he is a scientist.

Frank

Comment

You mean as opposed to a faux scientist like you Shuny? How come you never present your qualifications?
                            Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

He is a physicist.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by seer View Post
                                You mean as opposed to a faux scientist like you Shuny? How come you never present your qualifications?
                                I have presented my qualification previously, no problem. Glen Morton knows me personally as a Geologist and scientist.

Frank

Comment