Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

14-year-old Texas boy arrested for bringing homemade clock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 14-year-old Texas boy arrested for bringing homemade clock

A 14-year-old Texas high school freshman was arrested and suspended for three days after arriving to class with a homemade clock that police and school officials feared was a bomb.
    It wasn't an explosive device. But the boy's arrest was, indeed, a sign of the times.
    Ahmed Mohamed wanted to impress his engineering teacher with his creation that took him 20 minutes to build at his Irving home. Local media described the device as being built with "a circuit board and power supply wired to a digital display, all strapped inside a case with a tiger hologram on the front."
    The Dallas Morning News, which first reported the arrest, said the youth's engineering teacher at MacArthur High in Irving said it was a "nice" device but cautioned him not to show it to other teachers. But the boy would soon be led away in handcuffs and eventually booked by Irving police.
    Things went south for the boy when the clock beeped while in his backpack during English class and the teacher confiscated it. Later that day, he was interrogated by Irving police and school officials. "It could reasonably be mistaken as a device if left in a bathroom or under a car. The concern was, what was this thing built for? Do we take him into custody?" Irving police spokesman James McLellan told the Dallas Morning News.
    Source: http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2...ock-to-school/
    "It's evolution; every time you invent something fool-proof, the world invents a better fool."
    -Unknown

"Preach the gospel, and if necessary use words." - Most likely St.Francis

I find that evolution is the best proof of God.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I support the :
    sigpic

Originally posted by Irate Canadian View Post
    I thought that in Texas they just shot such flagrant scofflaws

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Next thing you know, they'll be outlawing broccoli spears because they might be confused with weapons.
        Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
        sigpic
        I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

I can still take my knitting needles on airplanes.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
            Next thing you know, they'll be outlawing broccoli spears because they might be confused with weapons.
            Back in 2000 not too far from where I live a girl was suspended for 10 days from Elementary School because she had a Tweety Bird key chain attached to her wallet. It was deemed to be a weapon.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post

But can you take The PIN™?

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                But can you take The PIN™?

Haven't ever tried.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Haven't ever tried.
                  Probably for the best. I could imagine the headlines: Alberta woman levels airport after being stopped with WMD

Comment

OK, I read this really quickly, cause I was headed over to the local college to teach a class....

I thought it said he made a homemade GLOCK!!!!
                    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                      OK, I read this really quickly, cause I was headed over to the local college to teach a class....

I thought it said he made a homemade GLOCK!!!!
                      You were thinking about me and how I turned that industrial stapler into a semi-automatic pistol (true story) weren't you?

Comment

It's guys like you that make arresting kids with homemade clocks reasonable.
                        "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

As long as you don't knit an Afghan!

Comment

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Sounds like that school needs a "Regulator".

Comment