Page 92 of 93 FirstFirst ... 428290919293 LastLast

Thread: 14-year-old Texas boy arrested for bringing homemade clock

Dept. of Redundancy Dept. Cow Poke's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Man View Post
    So the lawyer wasn't even ready to present his case? Or was he vainly hoping he wouldn't be asked? It boggles my mind that he would waste 15-minutes looking for something he had to know didn't exist.
    Perhaps he was lulled into a false sense of confidence by the liberals who were singing the praises of clock boy and declaring anybody who didn't kiss his butt as "anti-Muslim". Maybe he just figured he'd sail through that hearing unopposed.

1 Tim 2:5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Perhaps he was lulled into a false sense of confidence by the liberals who were singing the praises of clock boy and declaring anybody who didn't kiss his butt as "anti-Muslim". Maybe he just figured he'd sail through that hearing unopposed.
    I think we need to call this "the Hillary effect".
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

3. Amen Cow Poke amen'd this post.
    Must...have...caffeine One Bad Pig's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    So the lawyer wasn't even ready to present his case? Or was he vainly hoping he wouldn't be asked? It boggles my mind that he would waste 15-minutes looking for something he had to know didn't exist.
    The lawyer was a woman, not a man. The judge asked her a question she wasn't prepared to answer. It happens. Of course, she should had at least her best case evidence at the tips of her fingers; either her notes didn't include the medium used in the alleged defamation, or her best allegations weren't broadcast.
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio

I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by One Bad Pig View Post
    The lawyer was a woman, not a man. The judge asked her a question she wasn't prepared to answer. It happens.
    It regularly happens that a lawyer is not prepared to present the key piece of evidence to make their case?

Remember, they were suing for defamation, so you would think that evidence of the defendants making false statements would be at the top of the stack.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Remember, they were suing for defamation, so you would think that evidence of the defendants making false statements would be at the top of the stack.
    Well, yes. I addressed that in the rest of my post.
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio

I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Well, yes. I addressed that in the rest of my post.
    Surely a competent lawyer would have had the quotes on hand with dates and source. The entire case hinges on it! How could she not have them ready to be presented? But she apparently didn't have a single example of a defamatory statement. Maybe I'm missing something, but I can only assume she knew the evidence didn't exist and was hoping the "They made a Muslim kid feel bad" defense would be good enough.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Surely a competent lawyer would have had the quotes on hand with dates and source. The entire case hinges on it! How could she not have them ready to be presented? But she apparently didn't have a single example of a defamatory statement. Maybe I'm missing something, but I can only assume she knew the evidence didn't exist and was hoping the "They made a Muslim kid feel bad" defense would be good enough.
    She apparently didn't have a single example of a defamatory statement made on television, which is what the judge asked for. I'm sure she had examples of defamatory statements; she couldn't have been THAT incompetent.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    She apparently didn't have a single example of a defamatory statement made on television, which is what the judge asked for. I'm sure she had examples of defamatory statements; she couldn't have been THAT incompetent.
    Then why was the case thrown out? Is there some strange rule in Texas that it has to be said on television for it to count as defamation? Surely if there were any examples at all then the case would have gone forward, so I assume the attorney didn't have any.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Then why was the case thrown out?
    Because the defendants moved to have it dismissed, and the judge was persuaded by their arguments.
    Is there some strange rule in Texas that it has to be said on television for it to count as defamation? Surely if there were any examples at all then the case would have gone forward, so I assume the attorney didn't have any.
    I suspect that in the judge's mind, only something as public as defamation on television would have sufficed to overcome the defendants' arguments to dismiss the case. Your assumption is faintly ridiculous; there had to have been some examples of alleged defamation in order to have any shot at all of getting past even a MTD.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Then why was the case thrown out? Is there some strange rule in Texas that it has to be said on television for it to count as defamation? Surely if there were any examples at all then the case would have gone forward, so I assume the attorney didn't have any.
    THIS Defamation case was specifically against the Local Fox Affiliate, Glen Beck, Jim Hanson who was a guest on Becks show and CSP. All of that was on TV...

From Rogue06's Cite:

• The motion to dismiss was filed by lawyers from the American Freedom Law Center (“AFLC”) and local counsel Pete Rowe on behalf of the Center for Security Policy (“CSP”) and Jim Hanson, two of the defendants in the defamation case, which also named as defendants the local Fox affiliate, Glenn Beck, and Beck’s production company.
      Mohamed had sued Hanson and CSP for statements Hanson had made on Beck’s program about the connection between the Clock Boy hoax bomb affair, the attendant media frenzy created in large part by his father Mohamed, civilization jihad, and the Counsel on American-Islamic Relations (“CAIR”), the Muslim Brotherhood-Hamas front group in the United States that promotes civilization jihad.
    "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen